Rengi

Annulment

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello guys, I am petitioning my fiance (K1 visa) I was married before in the Philippines back in 2005 and I filed for divorce in 2008 here in Chicago.

Do still need my marriage to get annulled even though I'm divorce here in the US? I'm asking this because I don't want my fiance to get denied if her interview comes. And will my fiance need a cenomar?

Timeline

Hi Rengi. I posted a similar question a few weeks back, and i got a definite no from the community; you dont need to get a local annulment first to petition your fiancee. Just make sure that you include your divorce papers in your I-129F package. Your fiancee has to get a CENOMAR for her interview proper. Both the divorce papers and CENOMAR stand as proofs that you are both legally free to marry.

Best of luck!

9/14/02 - became a couple

5/2/06 - his migration :(

6/17/09 to 12/1/09 - wonderful period of living together in US!

11/28/10 - I-129F sent to Lewisville,TX via UPS

11/30/10 - package received

12/02/10 - cheque encashed

12/7/10 - electronic confirmation of package; routed to VSC

12/9/10 - touched (?)

12/9/10 - NOA1 hard copy reached military installation

12/30/10 - NOA1 hard copy reached military unit

1/05/11 - NOA1 hard copy finally reached his maibox, yey!

2/25/11- called military helpline to request expedite I-129f processing

/28/11 - received USCIS letter requesting documents to support expedite request

3/11/11 - faxed documents to USCIS

3/22/11 - approval notification of expedite request received through mail

3/25/11 - approval email notification of expedite request

3/28/11 - I-129F petition for fiancee application approved!!! a step closer!!!

4/4/11 - VSC sent to Manila

5/04/11 - Medical at St. Luke's (passed!)

5/05/11 - vaccination

5/17/11 - USEM Interview, approved!

Timeline

Hi Rengi. I posted a similar question a few weeks back, and i got a definite no from the community; you dont need to get a local annulment first to petition your fiancee. Just make sure that you include your divorce papers in your I-129F package. Your fiancee has to get a CENOMAR for her interview proper. Both the divorce papers and CENOMAR stand as proofs that you are both legally free to marry.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the reply. Do you know how to process for annulment?

I am assuming your wedding took place in the Philippines and then you both lived in the US and are now divorced...correct? If that is the case, then you are legally free to marry. Make sure you send her a certified true copy of your divorce papers and yes, she will need a CENOMAR. Good luck!

Hello guys, I am petitioning my fiance (K1 visa) I was married before in the Philippines back in 2005 and I filed for divorce in 2008 here in Chicago.

Do still need my marriage to get annulled even though I'm divorce here in the US? I'm asking this because I don't want my fiance to get denied if her interview comes. And will my fiance need a cenomar?

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

A gray area exists when you are going to remarry another Filipino in the Philippines in which case you may need to have your divorce recognized in the Philippines first. Another gray area exists in the case of a dual citizen of the Philippines.

Edited by sjr09

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

i can only say what my brother said about getting his wife annulment in the philippines..Quote holy s%^& how much did you say??? omg i can buy a car for that.hehehe :rofl: the process is long , expensive, by the time he got finished paying let call it happy money...underr the table he got the annulment :blink: i wont say to get a good lawyer maybe say find one thats a little honest and be sure they tell you how much extra you need...... :bonk::thumbs:

Edited by joyjohn

12/22/2010...married my soulmate,in tagaytay city.

USCIS...
01/28/2011...mailed I-130 to chicago Lockbox.....The journey begins
01/31/2011...receive I-130
02/05/2011...get a e-mail notice of NOA-1...states case transferred to CSC
02/08/2011...check clears my bank
02/10/2011... rec. hardcopy NOA-1 in mail...priority date..01/31/2011.....sit back relax and ride this slow mule!!
02/14/2011... touched ( it must have fallen on the floor )..hehe
05/12/2011...NOA-2 OMG...98days u kidding me!!!!!!!

NVC......

05/26/2011... finally got NVC case number...
05/28/2011... receive DS-3032 in e-mail/e-mailed the DS-3032 back
05/28/2011... receive AOS fee bill/ and paid online.
06/01/2011... AOS fee bill shows paid.
06/02/2011... DS-3032 accepted
06/03/2011... IV-bill generated and sented by e-mail
06/04/2011... Paid IV fee bill/ in progress
06/07/2011... IV fee bill showed paid/ downloaded cover sheet
06/08/2011... Express mail both the I-864(AOS) and DS-230
06/09/2011... Confirmed del at 11:10am signed by N visa center.
06/21/2011... SIF...yea!!! called NVC..yes case complete but no interview dates until aug..rats!!
06/28/2011... issured interview date set for 08/08/2011 At 6:30am.
07/12&13/2011... medical
YEA SHE PASSED MEDICAL

08/08/2011... interview approved!!!
08/19/2011...usa/arkansas.....

ROC

05/23/2013... mailed I-751 to Vermont

05/25/2013...delivery confirm received

05/30/2013...check cleared bank

06/01/2013...rec. NOA1 (receipt date 05/28/2013)

06/24/2013... biometrics appointment

Start on Art 1 of the Family Code of the Philippines and work your way down, around Art 45 should give you a good idea of the process.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

A gray area exists when you are going to remarry another Filipino in the Philippines in which case you may need to have your divorce recognized in the Philippines first. Another gray area exists in the case of a dual citizen of the Philippines.

Although we got approved for I-129F,the only thing I was worrying about that they may ask my fiance about my annulment in her interview for K1 Visa. We have all the documents, a certified copy of my divorce certificate except my annulment certificate and her cenomar. We're suppose to get married in Canada (my fiance has a working visa in Canada) and file for I-130 but I don't have any patience because we have a son (a US citizen) and I want to get them here asap. She was suppose to do her interview in Montreal, Canada but we decided to transfer our case in Manila because it takes forever to get her case done in Montreal. I didn't call the Manila embassy for a file transfer yet, because there's so many questions going around my mind. :bonk:

I really appreciate for your reply

Start on Art 1 of the Family Code of the Philippines and work your way down, around Art 45 should give you a good idea of the process.

oh the word annulment really sucks. i have been there..done this and that..there are 2 things a filipino be remarry..#1--annulment(if you still have contact and know his/her whereabout) #2 --presumptive death (hehe on the family code it says..within 4 consecutive yrs of not having contact from the exhusband or exwife..a person will be presumed dead :):) )but of course you need have to undergo a legal process..

annulment is very expensive while the pressumtive death is only half of the price of the annulment thing.

good luck to you both.hope you can find a good lawyer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.