pakibrat

Do I need another I-864?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone! So I am new to this. My mom (the petitioner) wants her sister, sister's husband, and their four kids to immigrate to America. We are now at the I-864 step. We have submitted the fees ($88/case).

My uncle has more than enough money and is sponsoring all six family members. He completed the I-864. For question 1, he checked off letter 'E' as "I am the FIRST of two joint sponsors". He also supplied his 2010 tax forms, a job letter, a copy of his passport.

Since my parents are not directly contributing financially what form would they fill out?

From reading online, I know my mom has to fill out the I-864 as well. So under question 1 she checks off "A"-- I am the petitioner. Correct?

She also provides a job letter and proof of income.

If my dad also contributes, he needs to submit an I-864A along with job letter, passport, W-2, and tax forms.

Am I on the right track? Please please help! I am just a college student doing this on my own because my parents don't really understand the process. I would greatly appreciate it! I want a happy ending too! :)

-confused in chicago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everyone! So I am new to this. My mom (the petitioner) wants her sister, sister's husband, and their four kids to immigrate to America. We are now at the I-864 step. We have submitted the fees ($88/case).

My uncle has more than enough money and is sponsoring all six family members. He completed the I-864. For question 1, he checked off letter 'E' as "I am the FIRST of two joint sponsors". He also supplied his 2010 tax forms, a job letter, a copy of his passport.

Since my parents are not directly contributing financially what form would they fill out?

From reading online, I know my mom has to fill out the I-864 as well. So under question 1 she checks off "A"-- I am the petitioner. Correct?

She also provides a job letter and proof of income.

If my dad also contributes, he needs to submit an I-864A along with job letter, passport, W-2, and tax forms.

Am I on the right track? Please please help! I am just a college student doing this on my own because my parents don't really understand the process. I would greatly appreciate it! I want a happy ending too! :)

-confused in chicago.

Your uncle shouldn't have checked either of the boxes on line "e". That particular option is for situations where there are multiple immigrants from the same petition, and two joint sponsors are dividing the immigrants between them - one joint sponsor is sponsoring some of the immigrants, and the other joint sponsor is sponsoring the rest of the immigrants. Since your uncle is the only joint sponsor, he should have checked the box on line "d".

Your dad doesn't need to sign an I-864A unless his income combined with your mom's will be enough to qualify. If that were the case then you wouldn't need a joint sponsor. However, since you've got a joint sponsor then your mom can check the box on line "a", and submit only her own financial information.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.