Blakeables

Another Affidavit of Support Question.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

With the number of Affidavit of Support questions, I am sorry to burden everyone with another.

My fiancée (American) is a graduate student in a medical lab. Her taxable income from her stipend from grants and fellowships is around $25,000. The money trickles in from various sources until it reaches her department and it then finds its way to her. She tried to get a letter from the department stating her role and pay but they denied the request because she doesn't have a single governing body that acts as an employer. So this leaves us with the self employed scenario (which I believe is reflected in her tax return). Honestly, I am incredibly lost in the world of finance and accounting. The requirements for the Affidavit of Support, though clearly stated, give me a headache. I've got her most recent tax return and a 1080T which is a form that clearly shows every grant and fellowship, how much she pays in tuition, and how much is hers to live on. She said she can also provide some form of pay stub that is available online to her. My question is, do you think this will be enough for proof of her income?

That seems like enough but its different for every consulate. Some require more evidence than others. Check on the South Korea (?) consulate you'll be attending the interview at, it should say on their website exactly what and how much evidence is needed.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

That seems like enough but its different for every consulate. Some require more evidence than others. Check on the South Korea (?) consulate you'll be attending the interview at, it should say on their website exactly what and how much evidence is needed.

I couldn't find anything specific for it. I'll try calling them, once they receive my package.

Thank you for the reply, it was very helpful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

hmm... I'm assuming your fiance has already researched and concluded that grants and fellowships count as income in regards to an "Affadavit of support?" Afterall, the purpose of a fellowship for a grad student is to pay for their education, not to mention that it isn't an employment that she will have years down the line. I realize she will have other available employment once she finishes her grad work, but for now they are looking at her current "income" and the fact that her "income" from this source will cease in the short term makes me wonder if they count fellowships and grants to grad students as income available to support an immigrant. I have no clue the answer to that. I assume she should look into that.

With the number of Affidavit of Support questions, I am sorry to burden everyone with another.

My fiancée (American) is a graduate student in a medical lab. Her taxable income from her stipend from grants and fellowships is around $25,000. The money trickles in from various sources until it reaches her department and it then finds its way to her. She tried to get a letter from the department stating her role and pay but they denied the request because she doesn't have a single governing body that acts as an employer. So this leaves us with the self employed scenario (which I believe is reflected in her tax return). Honestly, I am incredibly lost in the world of finance and accounting. The requirements for the Affidavit of Support, though clearly stated, give me a headache. I've got her most recent tax return and a 1080T which is a form that clearly shows every grant and fellowship, how much she pays in tuition, and how much is hers to live on. She said she can also provide some form of pay stub that is available online to her. My question is, do you think this will be enough for proof of her income?

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.