scorpionlady

K1 Visa - Manila Interview - Was given a form thats says 221g and asked to give some more papers...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys, this my first time posting here because I need some advice and guidance in order for my K1 visa to be approved. Any advice or help will be appreciated.

SCENARIO:

Me & my fiance met in college - we've been together for almost 3years. I graduated 2 yrs. ahead of him. I started working while he is still studying. Then, my fiance just graduated last April and he wants me to go to the states with him. We filled the petition.

We are using his sister as a co-sponsor for the petition because he just got out of college. We couldn't use his mom because she just retired. Now, during the interview.. the consular had no questions about our relationship and all.. but he questioned the finance aspect.. he said he wants a copy of my fiancee's bank statement and some show money. He said I could just mail it together with my passport. It says, (221g) and at the bottom... "needs some financial documents"...

How many of you had this kind of experience? And if you did, do you know the chances of approval? How long?

My fiance is itching to go back home because he said he wont leave without me... We were really sad because I dont know if we still have a chance... Are they really still considering us? Is it a denial? We are just so confused.

Timeline

Hi guys, this my first time posting here because I need some advice and guidance in order for my K1 visa to be approved. Any advice or help will be appreciated.

SCENARIO:

Me & my fiance met in college - we've been together for almost 3years. I graduated 2 yrs. ahead of him. I started working while he is still studying. Then, my fiance just graduated last April and he wants me to go to the states with him. We filled the petition.

We are using his sister as a co-sponsor for the petition because he just got out of college. We couldn't use his mom because she just retired. Now, during the interview.. the consular had no questions about our relationship and all.. but he questioned the finance aspect.. he said he wants a copy of my fiancee's bank statement and some show money. He said I could just mail it together with my passport. It says, (221g) and at the bottom... "needs some financial documents"...

How many of you had this kind of experience? And if you did, do you know the chances of approval? How long?

My fiance is itching to go back home because he said he wont leave without me... We were really sad because I dont know if we still have a chance... Are they really still considering us? Is it a denial? We are just so confused.

Hello. I'm not on the "interview stage" yet with my K1 process but I think the reason why the CO ask for further financial docs is to support the I-134.. I assume, he never had any employment/s yet.. So, I think if he has any assets or any savings in the bank that can support the I-134, then it should be okay. Plus I think you guys can try many co-sponsors as possible as long as they are willing.. Hope any members here can help you more and correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck.

-Love

Sam's CRBA, US Passport, and SSN Journey

Nov. 2010: CRBA and US passport application sent(via Air21)

Dec. 08, 2010: Interview(DNA was recommended)

April 04, 2011: CRBA and US passport on hand

April 2011: SSN Application sent (mailed original docs thru 2GO)

April 29, 2011: SSN card on hand

My K1 Visa Journey

March 05, 2011: I-129F packet sent

March 14, 2011: NOA1

May 20, 2011: NOA2(approved in 67 days from NOA1, with no RFEs)

June 24, 2011: NVC received approved petition from USCIS

June 29, 2011: Approved original petition left NVC to US Embassy-Manila

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

October 26 - June 5, 2012: SLEC trap!!! (DOT tx to vaccine administration)

June 7, 2012: Interview (APPROVED!) :)

June 18, 2012: Visa picked up at the embassy

June 20, 2012: POE in Detroit

proud of my family

:)

Hi there! I was also given a 221(g) after my interview. I did submit my fiance's 2010 tax transcript but they required us to submit his latest Income Tax Return and my police cert.from Japan along with my passport. Did they write something below the sheet given to you? Let's stay positive. smile.gif

SCENARIO:

07/20/2011- Got married!

AOS PROCESS:

10/08/2011- Sent AOS, EAD and AP thru USPS Priority Mail

10/13/2011- NOA1 via text/e-mail notification

10/14/2011- Check cashed

10/19/2011- NOA1 hardcopy received in mail

11/01/2011- Biometrics appointment schedule

12/05/2011- EAD/AP approved

12/15/2011- Combo card received in the mail

02/07/2012- AOS interview approved

ROC PROCESS:

11/09/2013

Timeline

helo....the fiance's income is so important in this process coz they wont like u to become a public charge when u r already in US..so i suggest if ur fiance doesnt have any bank saving or personal property or assets, u get a cosponsors.Most of the CO accpets cosponsors so u can give it a try..u said her mom is retired but she is still receiving money from the place where she worked, right?Does she still file taxes?if she does u can have her mom as cosponsor..and dont worry coz u have 1 year to send additional documents to prove but the earlier u send them, the earlier ur visa will get approved..

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-31

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-08-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-01-13

NVC letter: 2011-02-01

USEM LETTER: 2011-02-11

INTERVIEW: 2011-04-04 VISA APPROVED

POE: 2011-05-02 MINEAPOLIS/ST PAUL

WEDDING: 2011-06-18

Prayer teaches us to wait;it clears our visions;it quiets our heart and it activates our faith.Glow like the sunrise and be humble like the sunset.

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi there! I was also given a 221(g) after my interview. I did submit my fiance's 2010 tax transcript but they required us to submit his latest Income Tax Return and my police cert.from Japan along with my passport. Did they write something below the sheet given to you? Let's stay positive. Posted Image

Hi! Were you told if your visa was approved?

10-12-2010 NOA1 date

10-15-2010 Touch

03-14-2011 Touch

03-14-2011 NOA2 date (153 days after NOA1)

03-23-2011 Received by NVC

04-05-2011 Called NVC today and they are still processing our papers.

04-07-2011 Left NVC

04-13-2011 Received by USEM

04-25-2011 Medical 1st day

04-27-2011 Medical 2nd day (K1&K2 passed.) THANK GOD.

05-06-2011 Interview(Got 221g for Taiwan Police Clearance and to have another interview.)

06-02-2011 USEM received documents for 221g

06-07-2011 USEM emailed that we are in further review.

06-27-2011 USEM called and asked to submit my son's baptismal certificate, school report card, travel documents from the bureau of immigration of me, my fiance and my son's biofather, and snail mail between me and my fiance.

08-02-2011 submitted additional requirements and 2nd interview.

08-16-2011 USEM emailed and asked for my passport and police clearance.

08-17-2011 USEM emailed and said they have found our passports and my Taiwan police clearance.

08-23-2011 Visa approval. THANK GOD FOR THIS ANSWERED PRAYER.

08-25-2011 Visa in transit according to 2Go.

08-26-2011 CFO seminar

08-26-2011 Visa in hand. THANK YOU LORD GOD FOR THESE BLESSINGS. Praying now to be with my honey on his birthday.

08-31-2011 CFO sticker

09-04-2011 POE: LAX

rpC8m8.png

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi! Were you told if your visa was approved?

Hi Anna!

Im also under 221g. Waiting for notification from USEM. I noticed from your timeline that they emailed you to notify that your case is still under review, did you follow up or they just emailed you? Because I haven't gotten any word from them since I sent the documents last june 21. Although i called to check if they have it and they confirmed. I plan to call again next week. :blink:

06/03/2010 - Engagement - Our Story

10/25/2010 - Filed I-129F - The Process

11/02/2010 - Received Notice from USCIS

04/20/2011 - Petition approved - My Experience

05/10/2011 - Received confirmation letter from USEM

05/30-31/2011 - Medical/Physical Examination - My Experience

06/15/2011 - USEM Interview (under 221g) - My Experience

06/20/2011 - Submitted docs via 2go

06/23/2011 - Docs forwarded to the consul

07/11/2011 - VISA APPROVED!!!!PRAISE GOD!!

07/14/2011 - VISA DELIVERED! HAPPY BLESSED DAY!

07/22/2011 - CFO Guidance & Counseling Seminar - My Experience

Timeline

SCENARIO:

Hi Scorpionlady!

We're on the same boat! Im also under 221g. Need to pass more documents. I don't think we are denied. They are actually giving us a chance to prove our "eligibility" (both applicant and petitioner) for a k1 visa. We just need to submit whatever docs they are asking for and hopefully everything will be okay. Also, USEM will not really give any time frame as to when the visa will come out. You just have to be diligent in follow through re its status. At least you will know it's moving. Have you sent them your docs already?

Re co-sponsor, we had his dad (who is also retired but a taxpayer) co-sponsor me but during my interview i was surprised because when i asked the consul interviewing me re co-sponsor, she said they don't allow co-sponsorship for k1 visas. I was stunned. It would be a long shot for us if I only show my fiance's financial capability. But i still persisted, i asked the consul for the second time. The consul then got my co-sponsor documents but she still asked me to submit some more documents. So I guess, she still gave me a chance. :D

Let's keep the faith! God is good :)

06/03/2010 - Engagement - Our Story

10/25/2010 - Filed I-129F - The Process

11/02/2010 - Received Notice from USCIS

04/20/2011 - Petition approved - My Experience

05/10/2011 - Received confirmation letter from USEM

05/30-31/2011 - Medical/Physical Examination - My Experience

06/15/2011 - USEM Interview (under 221g) - My Experience

06/20/2011 - Submitted docs via 2go

06/23/2011 - Docs forwarded to the consul

07/11/2011 - VISA APPROVED!!!!PRAISE GOD!!

07/14/2011 - VISA DELIVERED! HAPPY BLESSED DAY!

07/22/2011 - CFO Guidance & Counseling Seminar - My Experience

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Scorpionlady!

We're on the same boat! Im also under 221g. Need to pass more documents. I don't think we are denied. They are actually giving us a chance to prove our "eligibility" (both applicant and petitioner) for a k1 visa. We just need to submit whatever docs they are asking for and hopefully everything will be okay. Also, USEM will not really give any time frame as to when the visa will come out. You just have to be diligent in follow through re its status. At least you will know it's moving. Have you sent them your docs already?

Re co-sponsor, we had his dad (who is also retired but a taxpayer) co-sponsor me but during my interview i was surprised because when i asked the consul interviewing me re co-sponsor, she said they don't allow co-sponsorship for k1 visas. I was stunned. It would be a long shot for us if I only show my fiance's financial capability. But i still persisted, i asked the consul for the second time. The consul then got my co-sponsor documents but she still asked me to submit some more documents. So I guess, she still gave me a chance. :D

Let's keep the faith! God is good :)

Just be patient and better follow up the embassy weekly. After my interview i was given the 221g form, then asked again for additional doc , got my visa after more than 2 months. Keep the faith and pray. Prayers can really move mountains...

:)

• 1 month later...

First of all, you have not been denied a visa. Your 221g is an opportunity for you to convince the consular officer that you will not become a public charge when you are in the U.S.

Secondly, I have the same question as the consular officer: if your fiancé is not working, has no income, has no money in the bank, and has no liquid assets, where will you get the money to live? How will you pay for rent, utilities, food, gas, insurance, AOS, etc?

I believe your best bet is for your fiancé to go to the U.S. and get a job...any job. He can take a job making as little as $10 per hour in order to sponsor you himself. If you submit even a few of his paycheck stubs to the Embassy, they will see that he is on track to making above the minimum required to sponsor you. Many times, this is enough for approval.

At the same time, you can also submit your cosponsor's I-134 and it's supporting documents. These steps will demonstrate to the consular officer that you would be unlikely to become a public charge when you are in the U.S.

If I were in your shoes, I would not only follow the above steps, I would also submit your cosponsor's I-864 and its supporting documents. The reasoning behind this strategy is that the I-864 is a more legally binding document, and it also would show the consular officer that you would more than likely have a cosponsor when it came time to adjust your status in the U.S. I have seen this work once before on VJ and I also have a friend who used this strategy successfully. However, in the VJ case, I don't know how much income the petitioner had. In my friend's case, his income was well below 125% of the poverty level, yet his fiancée's visa was approved. Also, in my friend's case, he wrote a letter addressed to the consular officer which his fiancée submitted with her other documents. The letter explained that the couple would have virtually no expenses because they would be living with the petitioner's mother.

Edit: Oops...I just realized this thread is old. Still, I hope it can help someone.

Edited by Tahoma

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

hi good evening i am new here in VJ i just wanna ask some questions regarding 221(g) i had my interview today i am CR1 the consul gave this 221(g) they are asking my missing form which is the i-864a for my co sponsor the consul said i passed the poverty line and he congratulate me and told me that they will just deliver my visa when they receive the i-864a .. just wanna ask if how long usually it takes for me to have my visa??? coz i am worried about it .. i will appreciate all ur replies thank you so much ... godbless always ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.