hbcd

Newbie Help request

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello to you all, quickly introduce myself and ask a quick question, have searched through the forums but to no avail.

My name is Clint and i met my beautiful USC Fiancee through eHarmony, we met when she came to the UK as i was refused a tourist visa to go and meet her(not enough ties to the UK) I took her to Paris and proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower. And we are just about to start the I-129f process and have found this forum to be so useful already. It is so enlightening to read others experiences and advice.

My first question (probably of many to come, apologies in advance) is about my Significant others proof of divorce,

What we have is a letter from the archdiocese, and signed by the judicial vicar, will this be sufficient evidence of dissolution of marriage, but it is not a copy of the final divorce decree. It is also signed by 3 presiding judges of the Regional appeal court in Seattle, Washington

Will this be acceptable to the USCIS, so will this be sufficient evidence or might we get a further RFE?

Thank you in advance for any answers and advice you may give us.

Clint

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Why all the high and mighty signatures instead of a simple divorce? Is there something unusual with her marriage?

As far as I know, they accept the court stamped document which is recorded as an official document. If you are not sure, you could call the USCIS and ask if the available document will be sufficient. Good luck!

You don't need to apologize for asking questions, this is why VJ is here.

Blessings, :thumbs:

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello to you all, quickly introduce myself and ask a quick question, have searched through the forums but to no avail.

My name is Clint and i met my beautiful USC Fiancee through eHarmony, we met when she came to the UK as i was refused a tourist visa to go and meet her(not enough ties to the UK) I took her to Paris and proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower. And we are just about to start the I-129f process and have found this forum to be so useful already. It is so enlightening to read others experiences and advice.

My first question (probably of many to come, apologies in advance) is about my Significant others proof of divorce,

What we have is a letter from the archdiocese, and signed by the judicial vicar, will this be sufficient evidence of dissolution of marriage, but it is not a copy of the final divorce decree. It is also signed by 3 presiding judges of the Regional appeal court in Seattle, Washington

Will this be acceptable to the USCIS, so will this be sufficient evidence or might we get a further RFE?

Thank you in advance for any answers and advice you may give us.

Clint

Was the marriage registered at the local county (in the US I mean)?? If it was, then you need the court decree making the marriage dissolute. Fairly simple to get, you need to know the county/state where it was registered. This seem unusual, but I suspect that even if signed by judges, USCIS would only go for a court document. I'm sure there will be other posts here; but also contacting USCIS could help. THe important thing is that it is registered at the county court where this happened and then the court gives you the divorce decree, I would think that this is applicable if the marriage was registered in the first place (not necessarily with same county, as US states recognize other states marriages). If it was not registered, then for USCIS purposes, she might not be married! How can you tell if was registered? The county sends a certificate. It is common for priests to be licensed to perform a marriage that is then registered and normally they do the paperwork and signatures at the time of marriage, and then the married couple usually sends the license to the county so it gets registered. In some states though, it is possible that you marry yourself and don't need anyone, but you still need a license. SO, first question to your fiancee was if there was a license, and then take it from there. Good luck.

Filed: Timeline

Was the marriage registered at the local county (in the US I mean)?? If it was, then you need the court decree making the marriage dissolute. Fairly simple to get, you need to know the county/state where it was registered. This seem unusual, but I suspect that even if signed by judges, USCIS would only go for a court document. I'm sure there will be other posts here; but also contacting USCIS could help. THe important thing is that it is registered at the county court where this happened and then the court gives you the divorce decree, I would think that this is applicable if the marriage was registered in the first place (not necessarily with same county, as US states recognize other states marriages). If it was not registered, then for USCIS purposes, she might not be married! How can you tell if was registered? The county sends a certificate. It is common for priests to be licensed to perform a marriage that is then registered and normally they do the paperwork and signatures at the time of marriage, and then the married couple usually sends the license to the county so it gets registered. In some states though, it is possible that you marry yourself and don't need anyone, but you still need a license. SO, first question to your fiancee was if there was a license, and then take it from there. Good luck.

Thanks for your answer very useful, will speak to my good lady later today, and think we will need a copy of the court papers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.