pocheros

Where to translate birth certificate

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I just returned packet 3 to Montreal for my K1 visa. I pretty much have everything ready- vaccination record, police certificates, evidence, etc.- except for my birth certificate translation (it's in French.)

My problem is that everywhere I look up immigration services or translation services the companies don't look terribly professional. I can't figure out if there's any official kind of service I can use (like Service Canada) that I know is reliable... I live in Brampton so I have a feeling there's a lot of scammers out there trying to take advantage of immigrants.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's kind of frustrating :( And yeah, packet 3 specifically states that "Documents not in English must be accompanied by certified translations" plus I want to have a translated copy handy once I move to the US.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Timeline

Edit: Someone just suggested to me that I call 1 800 Oh Canada and ask if they know of any service that's widely used for this purpose. It's late now so I'll call tomorrow, however if anyone has any information they'd like to chip in it's appreciated :)

(I wonder why this forum never lets me edit my posts? *grumble*)

Just an FYI, you don't need to translate your birth certificate if you're interviewing in Montreal. My husband's birth certificate is in French and when I called NVC, they informed me that as long as the birth certificate is in either English, or the language of the consulate you're interviewing at, it does not need to be translated.

We submitted everything without having his birth certificate translated. I got a nasty question and attitude about it when we went in for the interview, but that was it. There was no real issue with not having it translated. Save yourself the $50.

J-

Our Story

03-05-2008: Met Online (World of Warcraft)

04-19-2008: Met in Person and Started Dating

04-19-2009: Engaged

08-07-2009: Married at Laconia, New Hampshire

USCIS

10-21-2009: Mailed I-130

10-26-2009: NOA1

05-17-2010: NOA2

Our I-130 was approved in 203 days from our NOA1 date

NVC

05-25-2010: Called NVC to receive case # and submit emails

06-01-2010: AOS Fee Paid

06-09-2010: Opt-in accepted

06-16-2010: E-mailed I-864 package

06-23-2010: IV Fee Paid

07-12-2010: E-mailed DS230 package

08-04-2010: Email from NVC - Case Completed

NVC process completed in 71 days

CONSULATE

12-07-2011: Received consulate interview date

12-13-2010: Medical Exam (Medisys)

01-07-2011: Interview - APPROVED!

POE & POST INTERVIEW

01-16-2011: POE Highgate Springs, VT

01-22-2011: SSN Card Received

01-24-2011: Receipt Letter Arrived

02-10-2011: Biometrics Appointment (uncommon for CR-1)

03-15-2011: Welcome Notice Received

03-19-2011: 2 Year Green Card Arrived

Isn't the birth certificate required again at some point in the process in the United States? Or am I mistaken? If it is, wouldn't it be better to have it translated into English? Just curious.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Isn't the birth certificate required again at some point in the process in the United States? Or am I mistaken? If it is, wouldn't it be better to have it translated into English? Just curious.

Yes - think of going to somewhere like the SSN office or DMV in some god-forsaken spot in IOWA - who do you think is going to know French :) I think it would be wise to have the translation done and get it over with. Easier to find someone qualified to do French translation in Canada than in the US.

My 2 cents - you're moving to a country which only have 1 official language (and sometimes that's pushing it lol )

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Just an FYI, you don't need to translate your birth certificate if you're interviewing in Montreal. My husband's birth certificate is in French and when I called NVC, they informed me that as long as the birth certificate is in either English, or the language of the consulate you're interviewing at, it does not need to be translated.

We submitted everything without having his birth certificate translated. I got a nasty question and attitude about it when we went in for the interview, but that was it. There was no real issue with not having it translated. Save yourself the $50.

J-

This had been gone over in a previous thread... One poster was actually required to provide a translated birth certificate. DoS does not require translations; however, the consulate may have stricter guidelines than DoS, and the packet 3 instructions explicitly ask for all documents to be in English. There is no clause about the official language of the country in which the interview is taking place- that's only DoS. Although they may not ask for it at the interview it will be required at some point in the US. Which is why I'm in such a tizzy over it :(

The fact that someone was nasty about it indicates that it may cause problems if I don't have a translation. The only difference is if I get an interviewer with a really bad mood that day. Although I doubt I'll be denied a visa it could certainly unnecessarily protract the process if they want me to produce an english version. This is the last I want... I'd rather waste my money and have all my bases covered.

No French canadian VJers with any experience? Unfortunately I did not get a chance to call any government offices as I worked late today and then they'll be closed tomorrow and Sunday. *sigh*

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Well, I checked the website for etat civil and if I've interpreted it correctly they will only make copies of your birth certificate in the language in which the original was made. I also found a translator in the phone book whose website doesn't look terribly shady and e-mailed them. Come monday I'll be calling both of these places just to see what I can do. Hopefully I can figure something out... It's so silly that they require a translation because a birth certificate only has a bit of information, like the parent's names and the date. How hard could it possibly be to figure out? Ah, bureaucracy...

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Jill & Jeff: Also (omg triple posting), it's worth noting that the K1 visa requires translations but the guidelines for IR1/CR1 are different.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your Quebec French birth certificate cannot be provided in English by the province or Canada. It's only provided in the language it was issued (French). The government won't help you with that.

You need to research for certified translators in your area, ask them for quotes and have it translated. Most translators will accept you scan and email your original so they can start the work but they will request to see the original before stamping their seal on it and delivering the translated copies. Mine provided 2 certified translated copies marked with the translator association's seal.

Some people have a different opinion about it but Montreal's consulate did request to see my translated copy. Down the road you will need to have it translated anyway as no one will accept an original French document in the US without requesting a certified translation. I figured why not do it right away and be done with it?

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Thanks for the input guys :) I feel a little more reassured that I'm not "wasting" my money hehe. Crossing my fingers that my phone calls and e-mails lead to someone who can help!

Timeline

I had to have some of my documents translated from French to English as well back in 2008/2009 and used a certified translator from Montreal. She is a member of the OTTIAQ "Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec" and I must admit she did an outstanding job. She is an American living in Montreal and does this from her apartment (right next to the Olympic stadium) .. very fast, not too expensive and never had a problem with any of the documents she translated !

She gives you as many copies as you asks for and certify each translated documents with a permanent OTTIAQ seal.

I do not know if we are allowed to post direct references in the forums but if we are then I will post her name here for anyone interested :)

Edited by ozone_1974
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

K1

2008-07-09 : I-129F Sent

2008-11-18 : I-129F NOA2

2008-11-24 : Consulate Received

2008-11-30 : Packet 3 Received

2009-01-26 : Medical appointment (3 vaccines shots !)

2009-02-09 : Packet 3 Sent

2009-03-30 : Packet 4 Received

2009-04-28 : Visa APPROVED !!!!!

2009-05-01 : Visa in hand !!!!!

2009-08-22 : Big smile and moving to sunny Florida

2009-08-23 : Finally here in Florida with my babe :)

2009-09-17 : Civil wedding :)

AOS

2009-10-13 : Filed for AOS, AP, EAD

2009-10-23 : AOS NOA Received

2009-10-23 : AP NOA Received

2009-10-23 : EAD NOA Received

2009-11-05 : AOS Transfered to CSC

2009-11-18 : Biometrics Appt.

2009-12-04 : AP Approved

2009-12-11 : EAD Card received

2010-02-16 : AOS Approved and Greencard Received ! :)

Removing conditions on 11/16/2011

Timeline

Ozone: Did she get them notarized as well? And did you simply email her your stuff and have the translations in hard copy mailed back to you, or did you have it done in person?

I'm trying to get this done now, before I go to Montreal, so I don't have to spend too much time there and spend money on a hotel and so I have everything in order. Regardless, if you wouldn't mind, could I have a referral, just in case? :D I don't know if this forum has a private messaging system. If not and you can't post it publicly I can give you my email :)

Timeline

Well, I found that the Centre for Education & Training in Mississauga does do certified translations, but they aren't notarized. She said that translations come with an affidavit, however. I know they're not interchangeable but I wonder if the embassy will get picky over it? Sigh... :S

Timeline

Well, I found that the Centre for Education & Training in Mississauga does do certified translations, but they aren't notarized. She said that translations come with an affidavit, however. I know they're not interchangeable but I wonder if the embassy will get picky over it? Sigh... :S

I had it done in person .. one could try to email the documents but I always prefer to have a person to person contact when it comes to important documents.

She does not notarized the documents, she will certify them to be valid and accurately translated. I had mine translated and certified by the OTTIAQ translator and then notarized by a notary from Montreal.

For those who want to search for a certified translator, this will make your life easier :)

Note : when you search, make sure to check the "translation of official documents" box.

Link here >> OTTIAQ certified translators directory

Edited by ozone_1974
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

K1

2008-07-09 : I-129F Sent

2008-11-18 : I-129F NOA2

2008-11-24 : Consulate Received

2008-11-30 : Packet 3 Received

2009-01-26 : Medical appointment (3 vaccines shots !)

2009-02-09 : Packet 3 Sent

2009-03-30 : Packet 4 Received

2009-04-28 : Visa APPROVED !!!!!

2009-05-01 : Visa in hand !!!!!

2009-08-22 : Big smile and moving to sunny Florida

2009-08-23 : Finally here in Florida with my babe :)

2009-09-17 : Civil wedding :)

AOS

2009-10-13 : Filed for AOS, AP, EAD

2009-10-23 : AOS NOA Received

2009-10-23 : AP NOA Received

2009-10-23 : EAD NOA Received

2009-11-05 : AOS Transfered to CSC

2009-11-18 : Biometrics Appt.

2009-12-04 : AP Approved

2009-12-11 : EAD Card received

2010-02-16 : AOS Approved and Greencard Received ! :)

Removing conditions on 11/16/2011

Timeline

Is it necessary to notorize the translated birth certificates? I got a translated birth certificate with the translator's seal and statement of accuracy at the bottom of the translated document. Does anyone know if Vancouver would require this document to be notorized as well?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.