the rock

I-864/864a questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

i m starting to fill the AOS form for my wife. here is my situation:

-i used to be a full time employee but now i am full time graduate student with an annual income in 2010 of around $6000. i made 16000 in 2009 and 21000 in 2008. nobody claims me as dependent and file my own return!

-In order to meet the requirements, I am using my parents support. Together they made 42000, 43000, and 47000 in 2010, 2009, & 2008 respectively. HOWEVER, my parents sponsared my grandmother in 2008 and claim her as a dependent in 2009 and 2010 tax return.

-i live together with my parents, grandmother, and my brother and his wife (since i m not using their income, they don't count in my household size, right?)

I have questions and I hope you guys can answer it.

-First of all, is this sufficient to sponser my wife?

-my parents will have to filled 2 i-864a forms and i have to fill 1 i-1864 form, right?

-i will submit the 3 forms (2 i-1864a and 1 i-864) along with a cover letter, the cover sheet, 3 years of tax return and w-2s for me and my parents, thier naturalization copy of becoming US citizen, copy of our driver's licences showing our addresses together, letters from employers stating our current employement, and a copy of my birth certificate. is there anything i m missing?

-i have a copy of mine and my parent's tax return and w-2s for 2007. should i include those?

thanks guys in advance!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You complete an I-864 and include all supporting documents. Household of 2 (you and wife)

One parent completes an I-864 and the other an I-864a. Grandmother is included in the parent's household along with your wife. They need to include a marriage certificate to prove relationship along with proof of their citizenship or Green Card status.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A follow up question: Why would one of my parent complete an i-864? I thought i-1864 was for primiary pititioner. Thanks

No, the I-864 is not only for the petitioner/sponsor.

If you need both parents' income to qualify then the 864 and 864A are used. There cannot be multiple 864A's attached to an 864. If only one parent's income is sufficient then I would still suggest the 864. With you living with your parents and one of them is filing head of household along with claiming your grandmother the 864 gives a clearer picture of the household count.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

No, the I-864 is not only for the petitioner/sponsor.

If you need both parents' income to qualify then the 864 and 864A are used. There cannot be multiple 864A's attached to an 864. If only one parent's income is sufficient then I would still suggest the 864. With you living with your parents and one of them is filing head of household along with claiming your grandmother the 864 gives a clearer picture of the household count.

Thanks for the quick info. However, two questions: none of my parent file as a head of household.

Also for question 1 in I-864, should my parent check D (for one joint sponsor) or E (for multiple joint sponsor), as I am using both of their income?

Again thanks in advance!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.