Officer's Fiance

Post dated visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Got our NOA2 yesterday..... in less than 27 days of submission!!!

Of course I am ecstatic, but now I am worried that the process is going to go way faster than I thought and I'll get an interview much sooner than anticipated.

My fiance is being deployed in January and doesn't get back to the US until next July, at which time I plan on moving down there to get married. But at this rate, I may get an interview before xmas and the visa will only be valid for 6 months.....

Does anyone know if the Consulat will post date the visa for later seen the circumstance?

I guess I could always drag my heels after receiving packet 3, and take my sweet time in returning it.....is there a time frame I have to get this sent back?

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Timeline

Of course I am ecstatic, but now I am worried that the process is going to go way faster than I thought and I'll get an interview much sooner than anticipated.

My fiance is being deployed in January and doesn't get back to the US until next July, at which time I plan on moving down there to get married. But at this rate, I may get an interview before xmas and the visa will only be valid for 6 months.....

Does anyone know if the Consulat will post date the visa for later seen the circumstance?

I guess I could always drag my heels after receiving packet 3, and take my sweet time in returning it.....is there a time frame I have to get this sent back?

We had a similar situation. A while back we had to put the brakes on our journey. This was about the time I received packet 3. I called them to inquire because at that time I didn't know how long I might need. They told me I had one year. So you should be fine. In the end we got packet 3 in April and I didn't return it until the end of July! There have been no problems so far because of the delay.

Also, keep in mind you have six months to enter but you can get a four month extension. I also recently asked Montreal about this. They told me if I was concerned nearer the time of my interview to ask about an extension when I go for the interview.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!!

Edited by David and Karen

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We had a similar situation. A while back we had to put the brakes on our journey. This was about the time I received packet 3. I called them to inquire because at that time I didn't know how long I might need. They told me I had one year. So you should be fine. In the end we got packet 3 in April and I didn't return it until the end of July! There have been no problems so far because of the delay.

Also, keep in mind you have six months to enter but you can get a four month extension. I also recently asked Montreal about this. They told me if I was concerned nearer the time of my interview to ask about an extension when I go for the interview.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!!

There is no 4 month extension... Once the visa is issused, you have 6 months.. period.

However, you can somewhat slow down the process yourself by taking you time in getting your documents from the Packet to them. They will not schedule the interview until you send them the checklist stating that you've got everything...

Rememeber that Montrteal is taking about 4 months to even schedule an interview. It'll be at least a month so until you get Packet 3 from Montreal. - That takes you into October.. If you delay a month to send the checklist back, that takes you to November. $ Months from November is March... If the visa is issued then, you have plenty of time for July...

So don't sweat it.. you have plenty of time to get what you want done...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Hope this helps!

Good luck!!

There is no 4 month extension... Once the visa is issused, you have 6 months.. period.

However, you can somewhat slow down the process yourself by taking you time in getting your documents from the Packet to them. They will not schedule the interview until you send them the checklist stating that you've got everything...

Rememeber that Montrteal is taking about 4 months to even schedule an interview. It'll be at least a month so until you get Packet 3 from Montreal. - That takes you into October.. If you delay a month to send the checklist back, that takes you to November. $ Months from November is March... If the visa is issued then, you have plenty of time for July...

So don't sweat it.. you have plenty of time to get what you want done...

I'm not so sure we all get the same information. I sent my checklist back and just over two weeks later I was issued a September interview. That is like six weeks after I sent back the checklist. No where close to 3-4 months as I understood from here and was also told by Montreal the day I mailed it.

They also told me that an extension was possible both via phone on July 31st and following that via email.

Boy they give out wrong information on all fronts don't they?

Grr

Timeline

Ah thanks for all your feedback....I guess I'll see when I get packet 3 and decided how long I should take to send it back. All I know is that I want to be in the US next July, and I thought it was going to take forever to get through each step!

Follow through with the process and go to the interview. When they approve the visa, let them know you would like to postpone the issue date and the reason why. They will let you know the process for sending in your passport for the visa to be issued at a later date.

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The NOA2 is valid for 6 months. This means the Visa must be issued prior to that. However, the consulate can extend the validity if required. They are inclined to do so if they are backed up all to #######. However, what you are talking about is getting an extension now rather than later. Thats more tricky.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Timeline

So if I understand correctly, my NOA2 will expire March 7th? So I should get my visa before then, and if I need an extension, the COnsulat will give it to me? The earliest I could get my visa is Feb., cause I don't move to the US til July. Make sense?

The NOA2 is valid for 6 months. This means the Visa must be issued prior to that. However, the consulate can extend the validity if required. They are inclined to do so if they are backed up all to #######. However, what you are talking about is getting an extension now rather than later. Thats more tricky.

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

Timeline

Hi There!

I got my approval for my application in May but I didn't go for my interview until late July

as I wasn't going to move until Sept..

I just delayed my medical appointment and my visa appointment

Good luck!!

Leanne

~2 yr anniversary last Monday~

.png

New Westminster,BC Canada/Sammamish, WA USA

I-129F PICK UP TODAY BY COURIER (02/03/04)

I-129F ARRIVED IN NEBRASKA THIS MORNING, SIGNED FOR AND RECEIVED. (02/04/04)

1ST NOA ARRIVED, I AM NOW OFFICIALLY AN ALIEN IN WAITING. (02/13/04)

One Month into the wait. (03/04/04)

Two Months into the wait. (04/04/04) My DF's B-day too!

Three Months into the wait. (05/04/04)

NOA 2 approved online!!! (05/01/04)

NOA 2 verification arrives in mail and petition off to NVC (05/07/04)

Packet 3 arrived in mail (05/17/04)

Faxed back Packet 3 checklist (06/02/04)

Four Months in the process: Got reciept in mail of Interview date (06/03/04)

RCMP check done and fingerprints done (06/13/04)

Medical done (06/23/04)

On vacation in Hawaii (June 25th-July 2nd)

Five months into the process: Just waiting for my interview date. (07/03/04)

Interview Date (07/16/04) @ 10am "APPROVED"

Six months into the process: Just preparing for the wedding and killing time until my work contract is done. (08/03/04)

Heading South Blaine POE via car: (09/08/04) DONE!

I have arrived!!!

Got my Temp EAD @ border!!

Go apply for wedding certificate: (09/08/04) 3 day waiting period... Now preparing for Saturday!

Final goal: Wedding September 11th, 2004 *DONE*

I AM MARRIED NOW!! WOO HOO

Sept. 14-17th Honeymoon in Lincoln City, OR

AOS Timeline

09/13/04: Applied for SSN *estimate time wait 2-4 weeks*

09/21/04: E-Filed my EAD/AP

09/22/04: Mailed in my AOS

09/23/04: Passed my written drivers test

09/24/04: Proud owner of a WA state drivers license

09/25/04: Received by SSN in the mail. Only took 12 days!!

09/25/04: Received NOA for EAD, online it says my AP has been received also but didn't get NOA.

09/27/04: Received NOA for AOS

09/27/04: AP "touched"

09/30/04: I got a job!!!! I start on Monday

10/27/04: RFE'd for forgetting to book Biometrics

11/08/04: Biometrics all done, paperwork back in the mail

11/10/04: Email stating biometric info recieved in NE and the wait is on again.

11/12/04: EAD "Touched"

11/13/04: Interview Letter arrived for I-485, Adjust of Status!

Woohoo! 49 days in process.

11/24/04: EAD "Touched"

12/14/04: AOS @ 11am in Seattle

12/14/04: Partical success, FBI check pending so no green card.

12/14/04: AP granted, I am going home for Christmas

12/14/04: EAD still pending but I can still work.

12/18/04: I am going back to VANCOUVER for the weekend!! Yipee!!

12/24/04: I am going home for Christmas to Vancouver!!

01/06/05: Permanent Residency Granted via Mail!!

01/07/05: EAD interview appointment (didn't need to go)

01/28/05: Still waiting for GC to arrive via mail

02/01/05: 363 days since I applied for my K-1

02/01/05: My Permanent Resident Card arrived today!!!

See you all in two years!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
So if I understand correctly, my NOA2 will expire March 7th? So I should get my visa before then, and if I need an extension, the COnsulat will give it to me? The earliest I could get my visa is Feb., cause I don't move to the US til July. Make sense

Normally the extension is granted by the consulate in order to make up for their slow processing. Lets say you got your P3 today and they couldnt set a date prior to March 7, they will then extend the validity of your NOA2 in order to cover the late interview. Im not sure how long it is taking to send out P3's and schedule interviews at the moment but it looks like you should be fine with that July date.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.