shawn43

J-1 visa and drivers license

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I was wondering if this would work at all. Say you come to the United States on a Visa and Passport, and eventually you get a Drivers License. Can you use the Drivers License as the primary means of identification and leave the visa and passport at home at the place of residence and just walk around with a Drivers license?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It can work, but technically as per the regulation you are required to carry your passport all the times.

Which is not practical and most ppl dont carry their passport everyday with them.

For most purpose your driver's lic would work, here is the kicker would you be eligible for driver's lic?

That would depend on how long your J1 visa is for, other optiion is if you are not eligible for DL then you can apply for state ID.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I never carried my passport. My DL got me into bars and into planes alike (internal US flights). Your passport is only necessary if someone questions the legality of your stay in the US.

bzYip3.png

May 2004- we meet!

09/27/2008- we are married!

03/05/2009- back to Russia for 2-year HRR

02/17/2010- I-130 sent to USCIS

03/01/2010- NOA1

06/02/2010- NOA2

06/09/2010- our case is at NVC!

06/12/2010- receive DS-3032 and I-864 bill

06/19/2010- I-864 bill is paid

06/25/2010- mailed DS-3032 to NVC

07/15/2010- received Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee Bill Invoice

07/20/2010- Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee is paid (check cleared)

09/20/2010- call NVC and find out that we can start work on I864 and DS230 packets

02/12/2011- AOS (I-864) packet is mailed to NVC

02/14/2011- NVC receives AOS (I-864) packet

03/06/2011- YAY! Finally, the 2 year HRR is fulfilled![/font]

03/07/2011- IV packet is mailed to NVC

04/07/2011- receive a letter from NVC requesting detailed information regarding the circumstances of my 1999 J-1 visa

04/09/2011- we mail the requested info to NVC along with proof that 2-year HRR has been fulfilled

04/30/2011- Check with NVC- get message "Your case was completed on April 27th. Please allow 8 weeks for further instructions"

05/17/2011- receive notification from NVC: interview scheduled for June 1st!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

the question of getting the drivers license isn't in question, already have it.

If you already have the DL, then it would work in most places as form of identification.

Legally you are required to carry your passport as I mentioned earlier. Do most ppl carry it answer is no.

Lot of the time I used to keep a copy of passport and Visa with me.

But the risk was if I was ever pulled up by ICE, most likely they would not accept the copy, and would be detained until someone actually got the original passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.