Price

First Interview Scheduled.. Please Help!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, everyone. I'm new here and hope you can share some experiences with me.. I'm an American citizen who married a Japanese citizen in 2010. We got married and immediately moved to Japan. We plan to stay here until 2012, so we're now beginning the process of obtaining his visa. I've obtained a spouse visa in Japan and have lived here for the required time to begin this process. Also, I understand he'll be getting a CR-1 type since we've been married for less than two years.

I have some questions that I hope you can help with. =) We have an appointment in a month with the US Embassy in Tokyo.

1. I need to verify I can support my husband when we move to America. We both have jobs in Japan and have done very well with our savings. That being said, of course I don't have a job in America nor do I own property there. How can I prove to the interviewer that we won't become a burden? (I'm planning to bring pay stubs from both of us for the last six months as well as the papers the company issued to us stating our yearly salaries.)

2. The G-325 Biographic Information form is confusing... We both need to fill it out but it asks for information on the "applicant". The applicant in all other forms is my husband. Do I need to add his information when it specifics "the applicant", or my own?

3. If we fill out a form incorrectly or make a mistake (even though I checked all the documents over triple), will we be sent away?

4. On the I-130 form, it asks us the address in which we intend to live when we move to the US. As we don't own or rent property, we're planning to move in with my parents for a short time and from there move to an apartment. Will this be an acceptable answer?

5. What kinds of questions do they ask at the interview? I already put together a HUGE book of emails, trip itineraries, engagement/wedding congratulations cards copies, photos, bank statement with our names on it, lease with our names on it, and a description of how our relationship started and evolved. There won't be any doubt that we can prove the incredible amount we love each other, but I still want to be well prepared.

6. We never filed for a K-1 Visa since we planned to immediately move to Japan... Will this affect the approval process?

7. Do you have any other advice for us?

Thank you so, so much!!

Edited by Price

If you have been living in Japan for over 6 months, you are probably eligible for DFC (Direct Consular Filing), which is a lot faster than the CR1. You would file the I-130 in the consulate there, and once your husband is issued the visa and enters the US, he immediately becomes a legal permanent resident and won't have to do the adjustment of status here. If you are in no rush to get here, then I don't know if there is any real benefit with doing DFC over CR1..I believe the costs are the same, as neither requires adjustment of status in the US. And, since you are already running with the CR1, forget what I said about DFC :) Just noticed the title of your post :D

1. For the income part, this is what the VJ guide says under the DFC instructions:

Important Note: A US Citizen living overseas that wishes to complete the I-864, Affidavit of Support, for their spouse (as part of the DCF process to get an Immigrant Visa) will be required to have U.S. domicile/intent to reestablish domicile to qualify as a Sponsor for the I-864. In addition to having a US domicile/reestablishing domicile the US Citizen must either have employment that will continue (from the same source) when they move/return to the US, or, per the instructions on the I-864, the US Citizen and their spouse may use assets to qualify if the income requirement is not met. In many cases however a couple may need to get a joint sponsor to successfully fulfill the requirements on the I-864.

Since you live abroad, I believe it will be the same issue even though you filed for the CR1. You will probably need a joint sponsor - unless your assets are enough.

2. You fill out the G-325A with your information and your husband fills out one with his information.

3. It depends on the mistake - if you fail to sign a form, or sign in the wrong place, it will probably be sent back. If you have a typo somewhere in there, no one will probably care (depending on the typo of course..)

4. Your parent's address should be fine.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.