Medtav

AOS Interview tomorrow. any final tips? I would really appreciate it. thanks

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

My wife and I are having our interview tomorrow. any final tips? what to expect? thanks in advanced

Hello!

We have our interview tomorrow, too! From what I have read so far on this wealth-of-information forum, you need to be honest, answer the questions straight, no beating around the bushes, and look the officer in the eyes. Be polite. Have all the documentation prepared and know where to find a paper quickly. Dress as if you were for a job interview. Look confident and smile! You'll be fine!

Good luck!!! Let us know how it went!

2-7-11 - Day 0 -sent AOS package (concurrent filling)

2-11-11-Day 4 - received text message from USCIS with the receipt number

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2-22-2011 -Day 15- received biometrics letter -appt March 14

3-10-2011- still cannot see case online although I called USCIS two days ago

3-14-2011- Day 35- Biometrics done on the appointment day

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

3-26-2011-Day 48-Received interview appt letter

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

4-11-2012-Day 69- received EAd&AP combo in mail! Bad picture!

4-26-2011-Day 84-APPROVED!!! Card production ordered!

4-30-2011-Day 88-Welcome to America letter received

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

as1cEY2003-0000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDYxOTN8V2UgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIG1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello!

We have our interview tomorrow, too! From what I have read so far on this wealth-of-information forum, you need to be honest, answer the questions straight, no beating around the bushes, and look the officer in the eyes. Be polite. Have all the documentation prepared and know where to find a paper quickly. Dress as if you were for a job interview. Look confident and smile! You'll be fine!

As for what to expect, the beneficiary should get ready to be asked and answer all the question in I-485 (are you a terrorist, have you ever engaged in illegal activities, etc). They may also want to know how you met, where, etc. Take with you all the originals of the copies you sent with the AOS package. They may want to see them. Also, bring as much evidence as you can of a bona fide marriage, especially of mingled finances. It all depends on how well your papers were prepared. Sometimes, you can be pre-approved,if the documentation is conclusive, and the interview can be very short and pleasant.

Edited by Romancita

2-7-11 - Day 0 -sent AOS package (concurrent filling)

2-11-11-Day 4 - received text message from USCIS with the receipt number

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2-22-2011 -Day 15- received biometrics letter -appt March 14

3-10-2011- still cannot see case online although I called USCIS two days ago

3-14-2011- Day 35- Biometrics done on the appointment day

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

3-26-2011-Day 48-Received interview appt letter

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

4-11-2012-Day 69- received EAd&AP combo in mail! Bad picture!

4-26-2011-Day 84-APPROVED!!! Card production ordered!

4-30-2011-Day 88-Welcome to America letter received

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

as1cEY2003-0000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDYxOTN8V2UgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIG1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Hello!

As for what to expect, the beneficiary should get ready to be asked and answer all the question in I-485 (are you a terrorist, have you ever engaged in illegal activities, etc). They may also want to know how you met, where, etc. Take with you all the originals of the copies you sent with the AOS package. They may want to see them. Also, bring as much evidence as you can of a bona fide marriage, especially of mingled finances. It all depends on how well your papers were prepared. Sometimes, you can be pre-approved,if the documentation is conclusive, and the interview can be very short and pleasant.

hey, thanks so much for your response and your tips. My files are very organized, copies and originals of everything and easy to find. We're so excited and very positive that everything will go well tomorrow. Good luck tomorrow too. I'll post my experience tomorrow. :) thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

My wife and I are having our interview tomorrow. any final tips? what to expect? thanks in advanced

Basing from my own experience,:

IO was a nice black lady. She swore us (my hubby and 17 yo daughter) in and off she went for the questioning. Name, address, phone number... I had the hint that she was checking if that person she is interviewing is the same one who filed the AOS.

We were asked if we have any additional document to submit that we have not included in our AOS packet to prove that we are married. We do not have any co-mingling of assets nor joint bank accts, nothing of those sort. We only have wedding photos, a letter from the priest who married us, wedding cards, and mails I/we received in the same address. She only took a quick browse on our photos, she did not ask for more. My hubby explained why we do not yet have stuff in both of our names. She did not ask why though.

My daughter too was asked the same questions.

My hubby was asked how long has he been living in his house, how we met, if he has met my relatives yet.

The last part of the questioning was the first 4 questions on the I-485, Part 3, "Have you ever, in or outside the US: a., b.,c., and d.

I did not expect that the interview would be that smooth and friendly as I have had rough experiences during my K-1 interviews. The IO seem not so interested in the questioning, her eyes were glued on my file while me or my hubby was answering. She even asked a question that she already have asked and she apologized immediately realizing that she's been answered earlier.

I'm pretty sure that the interview could have been over in 5 minutes had my hubby answered those few questions briefly but he went on babbling in infinity. Even answering questions that are not for him to answer.(He's a teacher by profession, so I guess that explains it).I have read time and again that when one goes for an interview one should answer directly to the point and never ever offer any unsolicited answers that may lead up to further questions. But my hubby did exactly otherwise.

I told him after our interview that If I were the interviewer I'd tell him to shut up if he is not the one questioned and be direct and brief in his own answers. He said that the interview would have been longer had he answered like I did. Maybe he is right, the IO was eager to get rid of him and his never-ending stories full of long pauses and "ahs" and "ums".

Good luck!

thank you so much for all the info. we are so happy that the big day is finally tomorrow. we'll share the details tomorrow. thanks again

thank you so much for all the info. we are so happy that the big day is finally tomorrow. we'll share the details tomorrow. thanks again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.