confusedasheck

Could I live on USD$20,000 per year in HCMC?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife agrees with the cons listed here. But she has agreed that yeah, we need to go on over there and try it for a few years to save the money to buy a house here. otherwise we'll never get ahead. the economy has kicked our rearend (especially mine).

I'll miss my 65 inch TV, stupendously awesome movie theaters (including the huge iMax theater I attend every month or two), boxing on HBO and Showtime, spring and Fall weather and of course, comic book shops.

I won't miss an empty bank account and wife bitching that we can't go to a show or club because we are broke.

Not really, they have TCL which is cheaper than the cheap sets in America, and the Sony and Samsung tv's are very close in price, but regardless if they are a bit more in Vietnam or not, the cost of living and electricity in 1 years time will pay the difference 10 fold. TCL 50" at TET time was 10 million, about $500 usd, can you find a 50" flat screen in the US for $500, maybe on black friday you could find one that cheap, but not every day, currently off tet prices they are 13 million, which is about $600 because of the new Dong rate still once again comparable to us prices

LG TV > TCL

At microcenter 47 inch for $549

At Fry's 50 inch for $579

Hannspree 42

at Walmart for $439.00

Oh and TCL in the US.

Amazon.com for $399.99

Oh yeah and in the United States all these stores have return policies, does anyone in Vietnam have return policies and let you try it out in your house?

I don't miss the rolling black outs that Saigon and the rest of Vietnam get almost every month. Maybe that's how they keep the cost down.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

LG TV > TCL

At microcenter 47 inch for $549

At Fry's 50 inch for $579

Hannspree 42

at Walmart for $439.00

Oh and TCL in the US.

Amazon.com for $399.99

Oh yeah and in the United States all these stores have return policies, does anyone in Vietnam have return policies and let you try it out in your house?

I don't miss the rolling black outs that Saigon and the rest of Vietnam get almost every month. Maybe that's how they keep the cost down.

Electric in the US during the winter (depending on where you live) $200 to $300 a month > Electric anytime in Viet Nam a month $35 to $75 (depending on how much you run an ac) Hmm, and electric in the summer is still around $100 a month in the US if you run an AC any amount of time so lets say the average electric bill in the US is $100 a month (I know this is low but for the sake of argument we will use this figure) Average electric bill in HCMC $50 a month, high mine is only about $40 a month so lets see that is a savings of $50 per month multiply that by 12 months hmmmm that is $600 a year savings Hmmmm even the $399 tv VS the $600 one in Viet Nam off sale that equates to about $400 a year in savings. As far as the warranty, my brother in law's Samsung 65" tv's motherboard went out, it was 11 months old, one month left on warranty, it was replaced with an entirely new unit and given another 12 month warranty NO QUESTIONS ASKED, I know this because I had to drive him to the shop while he rode on back holding the TV. Not sure about trying it out in your house, but towards the rest I think it evens out just with the cost of electricity in the US against the cost of it in Viet Nam, if any of you have different figures for electric bills, by all means please let me know, I think I was pretty generous on what I quoted, and I know during the summer when I wasnt working and first moved here our most expensive electric bill was $45 and trust me when I say the AC was on amost 24/7 as I was NOT used to the heat. I also know that when I was in Indiana my electric bills during the summer were about $150 a month and then in the winter it was on cold months close to $400 with an average of about $325 a month, I never had an electric bill under $100 a month for 2 consecutive months in the US, in the spring maybe once in a while it was really close to $100.

But again it is all personal opinion on what is right for any person, some people love it here, and some hate it. The traffic sucks, but if any of you have been in a big city during rush hour it can get pretty bad as well there. Regardless of your preferences and if the TV does cost $200 more the savings on electricity alone make up the cost, then there is gas prices, I was spending $200-$250 a month in gas for my truck, WE spend about $20 a month, we each go through one tank of gas each week ($2.50) then lets figure insurance, most people if they have just liability pay what $65 a month? Yeah less traffic, American dream, (arguably better health care but here international hospitals seem very effecient and good) and there are many other positives about the US, but honestly it is all a persons opnion, if you have good experiences in Viet Nam then you will love it here, if you have had bad then you will hate it. Having a great job in the US and doing it for 9 years was great for me, and I loved having the big yard, raising dogs and everything that goes along with it, and I do miss some things, but I would not give up what I have here because FOR ME it is a better choice living here rather than the US

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Can you get insurance on your motorbike? Liability? Comprehensive? Collision? My wife has no idea.

What about renters insurance for you apartment belongings?

Our utility bill (gas & electric) here in Jersey City was $200 last August, $190 in September, then under a hundred October and November. It hit $200+ December to February. $160 in March. We are hoping our April bill is under 4100. It will hit $200 by June. It's outrageous.

When we arrive in Saigon, I am sure the AC will be on A LOT. Especially at night, otherwise I will not sleep.

Edited by Matt_Stevens

Electric in the US during the winter (depending on where you live) $200 to $300 a month > Electric anytime in Viet Nam a month $35 to $75 (depending on how much you run an ac) Hmm, and electric in the summer is still around $100 a month in the US if you run an AC any amount of time so lets say the average electric bill in the US is $100 a month (I know this is low but for the sake of argument we will use this figure) Average electric bill in HCMC $50 a month, high mine is only about $40 a month so lets see that is a savings of $50 per month multiply that by 12 months hmmmm that is $600 a year savings Hmmmm even the $399 tv VS the $600 one in Viet Nam off sale that equates to about $400 a year in savings. As far as the warranty, my brother in law's Samsung 65" tv's motherboard went out, it was 11 months old, one month left on warranty, it was replaced with an entirely new unit and given another 12 month warranty NO QUESTIONS ASKED, I know this because I had to drive him to the shop while he rode on back holding the TV. Not sure about trying it out in your house, but towards the rest I think it evens out just with the cost of electricity in the US against the cost of it in Viet Nam, if any of you have different figures for electric bills, by all means please let me know, I think I was pretty generous on what I quoted, and I know during the summer when I wasnt working and first moved here our most expensive electric bill was $45 and trust me when I say the AC was on amost 24/7 as I was NOT used to the heat. I also know that when I was in Indiana my electric bills during the summer were about $150 a month and then in the winter it was on cold months close to $400 with an average of about $325 a month, I never had an electric bill under $100 a month for 2 consecutive months in the US, in the spring maybe once in a while it was really close to $100.

Yes we all know the cost of living is cheaper in Vietnam (such as food and labor) than in The US but the Quality of living in the United States out weigh everything else. You can get that big TV you have but what are you going to watch on it? Anyways I understand stand what you mean, "Different Strokes for Different Folks"

mrc2pmh1445.gif

In some other thread somewhere in here, Jerome mentioned he had criminal records in the States. Maybe that's one of the reason he couldn't get the job he wants; therefore, defending the "high life" in VN so vigorously.

They simply just can't check the criminal record(s) there. I also mention this to warn any other potential VNese bride/groom out there. Check the criminal records of your partner(s)!!! Just because he/she looks so nice doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with his/her past history (that is if you care)

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Yes we all know the cost of living is cheaper in Vietnam (such as food and labor) than in The US but the Quality of living in the United States out weigh everything else. You can get that big TV you have but what are you going to watch on it? Anyways I understand stand what you mean, "Different Strokes for Different Folks"

Note: you in my response below doesn't mean Dai_TX. It means the general you, anyone.

Not just the cost of living, the "price tag" you need to pay to marry your S/O as well. There surely are lots of Vnese ladies here in the States but I doubt many of them will agree to marry you, either due to the age, look, income, social status, how big the stone on the Engagement/wedding ring(s), etc.

Her "marriage standard" conveniently becomes more "affordable" to lots of folks. And that's the bottom line and becoming the honey that's attracting the flies.

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In some other thread somewhere in here, Jerome mentioned he had criminal records in the States. Maybe that's one of the reason he couldn't get the job he wants; therefore, defending the "high life" in VN so vigorously.

They simply just can't check the criminal record(s) there. I also mention this to warn any other potential VNese bride/groom out there. Check the criminal records of your partner(s)!!! Just because he/she looks so nice doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with his/her past history (that is if you care)

Don't worry about my past Dau Que, that is neither here nor there, I had a professional job in Missouri that moved me out to Indiana making over 50k a year, my crimes were when I was 18 so they never came up on a background check, and they had since been expunged years ago, I am pushing life in Viet Nam because unlike YOU I have ENJOYED my time here, and for ME it is a great place to live with a low cost of living. As far as informing the potential VNese bride/groom, my wife knew about my past history before I EVER came to visit her. I have nothing to hide when it comes to my past, it is what it is, and I have had a bad past, but I dont cry about it, because my past has made me into the person I am today, ever evolving and ever learning. Besides this post was about living in Viet Nam for $20,000 a year, not what a persons past is :ot2:

Yes there is motorbike insurance here, not sure about apartment insurance, but I am sure someone would sell it to you, just dont know how good it would be. You can get about anything in Viet Nam you want for a price.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.