scitrek1

Married in Venezuela

4 posts in this topic

Hello and Thanks in advance for any heads up info. I recently married in Venezuela (Apr 8th 2011 ) I will be filing the CR1 visa. here's my story.

In 2007 I was approved for a k1 for a Brazilian lady but she moved to France to help raise her granddaughter.The K1 expired. :blush: Then I met a lady from Colombia. My K1 was approved in 2009! She came to USA but had trouble adjusting, became homesick etc... We decided not to marry and she returned to Colombia. "STRIKE TWO"

I finally met a wonderul woman from Venezuela and we married in Apr 2011 in Venezuela. "HOME RUN"

My concern was with the previous "K1" approvals. I know there is a statute of limitations for the K1, and was concerned that it would affect the CR1 approval. Since we are married I am only needing approval to bring my wife to USA. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Also, has anyone used the immigration services offered on this website? Previously I did my k1 processes both times, but I am thinking I should use the service just for some peace of mind...

Thanks and Good Luck to all, and congratulations to those that have made it!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You have to disclose the two K-1's from the past, and while it may result in some extra scrutiny, there shouldn't be any real problems. As far as doing it yourself, the CR-1 process is pretty simple, and unless there are some immigration issues, a lawyer should not be necessary. And as far as the $299 lawyers, you have to do all the work anyway, so why pay. But if you have some immigration issues, then it will be thousands of dollars--not hundreds.

Thanks,

Just want to say it helps in the decision process when others respond.

I feel I can do the CR1 myself, just thought a lawyer would be an extra oomp! The K1's from the past should close automatically or I will need to call or write someone? I did receive a letter in regards to the first one and it is definitely not an issue. I nor my spouse have any immigration issues. We are both 50 and have no "extra luggage" so that is a plus.

If anyone has done the CR1 I would like to discuss the forms and how to fill the forms.

Will she use her married name in the forms and should she sign using her married name.?

I know it seems like a stupid question but I like to get the stupid out of the way.

Anyhow,I found some good post on evidence for the packet and I found a cool cover letter to accompany the request/application,

Lots of good stuff here.I'll keep lookn" and askn" :dance:

Thanks again and God Bless ya!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just click on the Guides button at the top of the page, and everything is laid out for you--plenty of people here who have seen just about every twist and turn doing a CR-1/IR-1 filing, and we are all here to help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.