19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Thank you to all for your very kind responses, Kiwi is touched.

Growing up in the 1900s we were all taught through the media and Hollywood the Horatio Alger myth that the US was number one, the greatest, freest, most advanced nation on the face of the earth that we should all somehow look up too and aim to be just like Joe American. It was portrayed as being diverse and exciting and where good always triumphed over evil because that is what happened to Bruce Willis or the Terminator where nothing could ever go wrong and if did it would be fixed with no adverse outcome. A friend of mine refers to this as the Herratio Algar myth where we are taught to believe the USA is number one and never at fault.

Having grown up and spent time living and working in the USA and knowing a large number of Americans I am now convinced that the American Dream is the one in which it's populace are deluded into believing exists through lies and manipulation of Government and media.

It is very hard for me to broach this subject with Katie who will not have a word of it, who does not really understand why my two friends' wives (expat Americans) do not want to return there but who will just as quickly say she is jealous of how much I earn here and how tired she is working two jobs.

I know from looking on the FDNY website and some emails with a volunteer EMT organization that you don't need a degree to become an EMT. You need to take a course that's recognised in your state before you can apply. Also it looks like as well as Fire or Police department run Ambulance services, there are privately run ones too. It probably would go against what you're used to having to ask people if they're insured, but at least that's an option.

The level the Americans call EMT does not exist here and the thought of being made to accept a clinical level with people who require 100 hours of "training" is an absolute insult to the three and a half years I have invested in clinical education and training. A Paramedic AO here has an in depth knowledge and skill base in such things as the LMA, 12 lead ECG interpretation, manual defibrillation and cardioversion, adrenaline, morphine and ceftriaxone amongst many other clinical modalities.

Jun 8, 2011: Mailed I-129F

Jun 13, 2011: NOA1

Jun 14, 2011: Touched

Jun 14, 2011 - xxx xx, 2011: Almost daily paranoid checking of USCIS.gov lol

"Those who dare to fail may achieve greatly" - John F Kennedy

Thank you to all for your very kind responses, Kiwi is touched.

Growing up in the 1900s we were all taught through the media and Hollywood the Horatio Alger myth that the US was number one, the greatest, freest, most advanced nation on the face of the earth that we should all somehow look up too and aim to be just like Joe American. It was portrayed as being diverse and exciting and where good always triumphed over evil because that is what happened to Bruce Willis or the Terminator where nothing could ever go wrong and if did it would be fixed with no adverse outcome. A friend of mine refers to this as the Herratio Algar myth where we are taught to believe the USA is number one and never at fault.

Having grown up and spent time living and working in the USA and knowing a large number of Americans I am now convinced that the American Dream is the one in which it's populace are deluded into believing exists through lies and manipulation of Government and media.

It is very hard for me to broach this subject with Katie who will not have a word of it, who does not really understand why my two friends' wives (expat Americans) do not want to return there but who will just as quickly say she is jealous of how much I earn here and how tired she is working two jobs.

I am sorry that you feel that way. As Anita Cocktail mentioned in her earlier post, America is not for everybody. I have met immigrants here who have come here with nothing and have plenty now. I have also met immigrants who returned back to their home country because they could not (or did not) make it here. One of my friend's parents rescinded their green card and moved back to their home country because he couldn't find a good enough job.. he was a judge in his home country, and decided that he'd rather be a "somebody" there than a "regular joe" here.

But I can attest to the fact that American do work more than most people, and there are people & immigrants who do achieve the American Dream. My husband (USC) comes from a poor background, but he worked hard and invested plenty of time & money to get where he is today.. When I first met him, he worked 2 part-time jobs, fixed computers on the side, and took full time university classes. But keep in mind, he chose to study Computer Science instead of a fluff major like "underwater basket weaving" because he knew that there was a demand for Software Developers. So yeah, it is not impossible to achieve the American Dream.. just requires lots & lots of hardwork (and maybe some strategic foresight?).

Americans probably do get paid less compared to NZ or elsewhere, but keep in mind that taxes, food, gas, clothing prices are much much lower here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The level the Americans call EMT does not exist here and the thought of being made to accept a clinical level with people who require 100 hours of "training" is an absolute insult to the three and a half years I have invested in clinical education and training. A Paramedic AO here has an in depth knowledge and skill base in such things as the LMA, 12 lead ECG interpretation, manual defibrillation and cardioversion, adrenaline, morphine and ceftriaxone amongst many other clinical modalities.

Then you're at an advantage if you want to do that. But as said by others, I would say moving to another country with such negativity in your mindset would be a bad idea.

Start of relationship

??/07/2008 - A random Skype message came through to me from an American girl

14/02/2009 - After months of talking, the American girl flew over to me - I knew we were meant to be

18/08/2009 - I proposed to her on Brighton Beach, UK

K1 Journey

15/07/2010 - We finally put in the i129f application - after shortly considering me going there on VWP, marrying and trying to Adjust Status, but was too risky

03/01/2011 - NOA2 on the day Dawn returned to NY after spending Christmas with me

10/02/2011 - I visited NY for 3 weeks (let this hold up the K1 process)

28/02/2011 - Medical

29/03/2011 - K1 Interview at London Embassy - Visa granted!

01/04/2011 - Visa in hand

Next Stage

03/05/2011 - POE in JFK - can't wait!

04/06/2011 - Our Wedding Day :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.