uklover

Why did you decide to make the move to the USA and not the other way?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I always saw myself living there, rather than him coming to the US. I had rather romanticized notions of Ireland, of course. I went back there to do a masters and to be with him. I was given permission to remain on the basis of our relationship, but at the time I was barely getting by as floorstaff at a night club and had really no good job prospects. This was in 2009 when things had really started to tank there. I came back to the US because I had student loans that I was putting off and really needed to get a good job. The plan was for me to get settled and then he would come over on a 12-month J-1, and we'd figure things out from there. He always saw himself living in the States for at least a couple of years, so I knew he was willing to come.

Eventually the J-1 started to look too iffy and complicated, so we decided to do the K-1. So far we're way better off here than over there. I have a really well-paying job, and considering that I live near the nation's capital, job prospects are much better across the board. Even though he's still only working as a bartender he makes very good money and we're not wanting for anything.

I loved Ireland in some ways, but found living there tough at times. I'm sure it would have been better if I had a good job, but I found most Irish people very tough to make friends with. They're very settled with the same best friends they've had since childhood, and it can be hard to break through to a real friendship. His family is great and like me, but I don't feel I can really be myself around them. However, I'm pretty independent, so it never really bothered me being away from my family. We all have our own lives and don't see each other that much even when we're in close proximity. For him, being away from his family has been much harder. He's much closer with them and has really missed being away from them. But he's doing pretty well in general.

Since things are way better for us financially here, we will probably be settled here for the foreseeable future, but it's possible we'll move back. We visited in August and I got really nostalgic and started fantasizing about returning. But realistically, it's not likely. We're planning to buy a house in a year or so, and hopefully start a family, so once those things happen, the probability of returning will shrink.

So, long story short - money and jobs were the main reasons for choosing the US. Plus his desire to try it out living here for a while.

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

My husband is in the middle of a PHD program and when we got engaged I had just graduated from my Masters degree so was in a more adaptable position. In many ways the States are an easier place for us to get started financially as a young married couple, but all my friends and family and many of his friends are in the UK. I think (hope) we will come back, I would rather raise our children in London.

10/09/06 - First met

12/09/07 - Started dating

01/30/09 - Patrick moved back to the States, Long distance :(

06/26/10 - Patrick proposed!!!

02/17/11 - Civil Wedding (just the two of us in Gibraltar)

03/16/11 - I130 Sent

03/24/11 - I130 Received

06/05/11 - I130 Approved

07/11/11 - AOS Paid

07/23/11 - Big Wedding

08/13/11 - NVC IV Bill Paid

08/23/11 - AOS Sent

08/24/11 - DS230 and Documents Sent

08/27/11 - DS230 and Documents Received

09/07/11 - AOS Complete

09/12/11 - Case Complete

09/30/11 - Interview Date Assigned

10/27/11 - Medical

11/18/11 - Interview

12/01/11 - Visa Approved

12/02/11 - Visa in Hand!!!

12/07/11 - Together again

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I moved over to the States because my husband was on a career track in the States that he couldn't follow in the UK. Also, I wasn't in a career which I was happy with, and I fancied a change of scenery. However like Holly and Patrick, I would prefer to raise my children back home, so I see us moving across the pond in the next few years. It's only fair after all :yes:

Filed I129F: 18th February 2009

NOA 1: 24th February 2009

NOA 2: 10th July 2009

Received Packet 3: 28th July 2009

Packet 3 sent to London embassy: 5th August 2009

Medical: 7th August 2009

K1 Interview: September 2009

Visa received: September 2009

Moved to USA: 19th October 2009

Married: 23rd October 2009

Green Card received: March 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.