GHE

AOS PROBLEM

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi to all people here:

i just have a problem with my AOS, i am K1 nonimmigrant and got married here las vegas. when i am applying for AOS i am using my name identical to my Philippine passport and i am done with my biometrics. Now i will apply for I-131 and I-765 and i wanted to use the last name of husband. is it okay? and how can i change my last name in my AOS, i want to use my husband's last name? but i already send my AOS and it was already approved...i want to receive a temporary greencard with my husband's last name on it. please help.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi to all people here:

i just have a problem with my AOS, i am K1 nonimmigrant and got married here las vegas. when i am applying for AOS i am using my name identical to my Philippine passport and i am done with my biometrics. Now i will apply for I-131 and I-765 and i wanted to use the last name of husband. is it okay? and how can i change my last name in my AOS, i want to use my husband's last name? but i already send my AOS and it was already approved...i want to receive a temporary greencard with my husband's last name on it. please help.

Your post is a little confusing...

You say your AOS was already approved, but you now want to apply for your I-131 and I-765 - if your AOS really has been approved already, both of these documents are a waste of time as you will receive a green card and will no longer require advance parole (I-131) or employment authorization (I-765).

Also I don't understand why you wouldn't have sent your I-131 and I-765 together with your I-485 (AOS). Either way, if your AOS is already sent and approved then you're not eligible for AP or an EAD because you're already a permanent resident and don't need those documents.

When we did AOS I used my new last name (husband's last name) on all the forms and that was fine, all of my documents were issued in my married name.

Why do you want a temporary green card with your husband's last name on it? If you're traveling abroad somewhere you just need to make sure your tickets match the name in your passport, and then carry a copy of your marriage certificate with you to show why the name on your green card is different upon arrival back in the US. If you're traveling within the US then I believe your green card or drivers' license/state ID will suffice for ID purposes - again book the tickets in the name on your GC/DL.

Shawn is the Yank, Emi is the Brit.

Late 2000 - We met online

01/04/09 - We became a couple :)

02/27/09 - We met in person for the first time!

09/05/09 - Shawn proposed in London! :)

K-1 Visa Process:

02/05/10 - Petition mailed to CSC

03/31/10 - Petition approved!! Yay!! :)

06/15/10 - Medical in London

08/10/10 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED!

09/03/10 - POE: Philadelphia

10/15/10 - Our Beautiful Wedding!

AOS Process:

11/15/10 - AOS package mailed

12/14/10 - Biometrics

02/10/11 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!

02/19/11 - Green card received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi to all people here:

If your green card is approved, you do not need the I-131 or I-765.

You should have changed your name when you filed the I-485. Doing so now will be expensive and basically a mess you do not need. Wait until you file for RoC in two years and do it then.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your post is a little confusing...

You say your AOS was already approved, but you now want to apply for your I-131 and I-765 - if your AOS really has been approved already, both of these documents are a waste of time as you will receive a green card and will no longer require advance parole (I-131) or employment authorization (I-765).

Also I don't understand why you wouldn't have sent your I-131 and I-765 together with your I-485 (AOS). Either way, if your AOS is already sent and approved then you're not eligible for AP or an EAD because you're already a permanent resident and don't need those documents.

When we did AOS I used my new last name (husband's last name) on all the forms and that was fine, all of my documents were issued in my married name.

Why do you want a temporary green card with your husband's last name on it? If you're traveling abroad somewhere you just need to make sure your tickets match the name in your passport, and then carry a copy of your marriage certificate with you to show why the name on your green card is different upon arrival back in the US. If you're traveling within the US then I believe your green card or drivers' license/state ID will suffice for ID purposes - again book the tickets in the name on your GC/DL.

SORRY IF I CONFUSED YOU GUYS...This is really what happen I am only applying for I-485 since i read that the I-765 and I-131 are just optional. but when i filed that I-485 i used my name when i am still single coz i dont exactly know that when u fill up the form of I-485 u can already used the last name of your husband. I am done with my biometrics and i did call the USCIS call center and ask them that could it be possible to change the surname of my AOS? and they try to track my case number of AOS and then they said it was already approved,.-but i didnt received any notice of approval from the USCIS yet. and now i decided to file the -I-131 and I-485 coz i know the important of these while reading here. and i want to use my husband's Last name. hope you understand it now.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

SORRY IF I CONFUSED YOU GUYS...This is really what happen I am only applying for I-485 since i read that the I-765 and I-131 are just optional. but when i filed that I-485 i used my name when i am still single coz i dont exactly know that when u fill up the form of I-485 u can already used the last name of your husband. I am done with my biometrics and i did call the USCIS call center and ask them that could it be possible to change the surname of my AOS? and they try to track my case number of AOS and then they said it was already approved,.-but i didnt received any notice of approval from the USCIS yet. and now i decided to file the -I-131 and I-485 coz i know the important of these while reading here. and i want to use my husband's Last name. hope you understand it now.

The thing is, if your AOS is already approved there's really NO POINT in filing the I-131 and I-765 because you're now a permanent resident and that means that USCIS will not process those forms for you - you simply don't need them now! Your green card, when you receive it, supersedes both of these documents. With your green card you can work and you can also travel out of the country and return again using your green card.

As you've already been advised it would be very expensive and a lot of hassle to change your name at this stage, so do what the previous poster said and wait until it's time for you to remove the conditions on your green card (in the 90 day period before it expires).

Hope you understand what we're saying now.

Shawn is the Yank, Emi is the Brit.

Late 2000 - We met online

01/04/09 - We became a couple :)

02/27/09 - We met in person for the first time!

09/05/09 - Shawn proposed in London! :)

K-1 Visa Process:

02/05/10 - Petition mailed to CSC

03/31/10 - Petition approved!! Yay!! :)

06/15/10 - Medical in London

08/10/10 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED!

09/03/10 - POE: Philadelphia

10/15/10 - Our Beautiful Wedding!

AOS Process:

11/15/10 - AOS package mailed

12/14/10 - Biometrics

02/10/11 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!

02/19/11 - Green card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.