sarah86

Want to bring my fiance, doing some research..

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone, i got a few questions for you guys and i would apreciate it very much if you could help me out.

Lets start with will they accept a PO BOX as a delivery address for all the correspondances because i have problems with my mail arriving plus i need to keep this from certain people until he gets here.

second, has anyone gotten their petition rejected for any reason? and if so, had they repetitioned for a second time?

third, once petitioned, how long does it take from the first mailing of forms to actual visa to be granted? does it or has it ever taken more than lets say six months? and does he need to provide any proof of income from homeland or anything like that?

forth, we've know eachother since childhood but only been involved in a relationship for about six months now, do they care how long the relationship has been going on? and at the present time i dont really have much evidince picture wise, i have pics that include both of us from only one occasion, but we do talk every single day. im thinking bout going back in june for couple weeks, so maybe i could take some more pics and what not, who knows we'll have a engagement ceremony maybe, but just incase i cant go, you think these will be proof enough..and we dont chat much online, there are only emails we exchanged on fb, which are in a diff language anyways, but like i said, we talk on thephone every day so no need for chat. but i tried to save as many text messages as i could just because i liked his texts..will those help also?

fifth, who needs to submit the intent to marry letter, me or him?

i reaaaaallllllyyyy need your help pleaseeee:(( thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

oh boy! i decided to apply for this thing like asap!:DD ive been on thephone with the uscis ppl and i feel good about what i have as evidence and i dont wanna waste any time, if they need anything from me, ill just send it in as they request it, uggghh i want my love with me! not an ocean away:(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, i got a few questions for you guys and i would apreciate it very much if you could help me out.

Lets start with will they accept a PO BOX as a delivery address for all the correspondances because i have problems with my mail arriving plus i need to keep this from certain people until he gets here.

second, has anyone gotten their petition rejected for any reason? and if so, had they repetitioned for a second time?

third, once petitioned, how long does it take from the first mailing of forms to actual visa to be granted? does it or has it ever taken more than lets say six months? and does he need to provide any proof of income from homeland or anything like that?

forth, we've know eachother since childhood but only been involved in a relationship for about six months now, do they care how long the relationship has been going on? and at the present time i dont really have much evidince picture wise, i have pics that include both of us from only one occasion, but we do talk every single day. im thinking bout going back in june for couple weeks, so maybe i could take some more pics and what not, who knows we'll have a engagement ceremony maybe, but just incase i cant go, you think these will be proof enough..and we dont chat much online, there are only emails we exchanged on fb, which are in a diff language anyways, but like i said, we talk on thephone every day so no need for chat. but i tried to save as many text messages as i could just because i liked his texts..will those help also?

i reaaaaallllllyyyy need your help pleaseeee:(( thanks!

First - I don't know for sure

Second - people do get rejected more often than we'd like to think for a variety of predictable reasons (the beneficiary has a criminal record at home, the petitioner has no way of supporting the beneficiary, complicated family issues with children, previous marriage, previous immigration issues, etc) and petitioning again is often a good choice.

Third - Processing times usually exceed 6 months. Right now, the initial petitioning takes about 5-6 months. Then the paperwork goes to the beneficiary's home for the actual visa application and consular stage and depending on where he is, that could take 6 weeks or 16 weeks - where is he?

Fourth - Initially, there's no requirement for you to prove your relationship is legitimate or loving - you MUST have evidence of having met in person in the last 2 years. This evidence is primarily required in the form of passport stamps/boarding passes showing you are in each other's country together or in a third country together. Pictures are not enough, flight itineraries do not suffice, FB, texts, or phone records are not official enough and do not demonstrate that you have met in person int he last 2 years.

Fifth - you both need to write a letter of intent to marry with the I129f. Only you need to submit an updated letter for when he goes for his interview.

Good luck!

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The success of filing for a second time depends on why they were rejected the first time. Often people get rejected for obvious things as iampatricias stated. Some more reasons why a petition may be rejected:

- Lack of evidence that petitioner and beneficiary met within the last two years.

- Lying on the forms.

- Petitioner is a blood relative of beneficiary or there is suspicion of relation.

- Not enough evidence of a bonafide, on-going relationship.

- Petitioner and beneficiary are married and not simply engaged.

- Petitioner and beneficiary engage in an activity that would qualify them as married (ie. having a wedding prior to the beneficiary arriving in the US with their K1 Visa even if no official forms are signed)

third, once petitioned, how long does it take from the first mailing of forms to actual visa to be granted?

When you first mail your forms, you should expect your Notice of Action 1 (NOA1) to arrive shortly. Most people get their NOA1s within two weeks. Some take up to a month. Once you get the NOA1 you start counting down the months until your Notice of Action 2 (NOA2). Presently, how long you have to wait for the NOA2 depends on which service center you get. At the moment, the California service center is around two months ahead of the Vermont service center. But Vermont appears to be moving a bit faster. So while no one can give you a guaranteed range of months, expect 5-6 months from your NOA1 to your NOA2.

does it or has it ever taken more than lets say six months?

It has taken more than six months for some people. There are some folks on this site at the moment who have been waiting over six months, some waiting over seven, and even a few who have waited for eight months or more and are still waiting. How fast you get your NOA2 depends, again, on what your service center is doing and whether or not your case is straightforward. It also depends on if you get an RFE (Request for Evidence) which will slow you down by a few weeks as well. So while we don't like to think about it, I do suggest that people filing for a K1 hope for a speedy NOA2 but also expect to wait a bit longer than normal for their case to work its way through the system.

and does he need to provide any proof of income from homeland or anything like that?

Your fiance is the beneficiary, correct? Unless he plans to financially sponsor himself, then he will not need to prove his income. You will be the one who must prove you make enough to sponsor your fiance once you two get your NOA2.

forth, we've know eachother since childhood but only been involved in a relationship for about six months now, do they care how long the relationship has been going on?

I don't believe USCIS cares how long you've been in a relationship. The key factor they look for is if you two have met in person within the last two years. For some countries, having a relationship with the person for a longer period of time is extremely useful. But if your beneficiary is from a low fraud country, you don't have to worry about this much. Once you reach the consulate level after the NOA2, you will be required to prove that you two have an on-going and bonafide relationship. But in terms of how long you've been dating, I don't think that matters.

and at the present time i dont really have much evidince picture wise, i have pics that include both of us from only one occasion, but we do talk every single day. im thinking bout going back in june for couple weeks, so maybe i could take some more pics and what not, who knows we'll have a engagement ceremony maybe, but just incase i cant go, you think these will be proof enough..and we dont chat much online, there are only emails we exchanged on fb, which are in a diff language anyways, but like i said, we talk on thephone every day so no need for chat. but i tried to save as many text messages as i could just because i liked his texts..will those help also?

Anything that proves you two have a relationship will help your case. Again, when filing the I-129F you will need to be most concerned about USCIS seeing that you two have met within the last two years so for the filing of the I-129F, you should present flight ticket stubs, hotel reservation receipts, car rentals, etc.

You will need evidence of your on-going relationship at the consulate level. So if you have emails on FB print those out--consider getting them translated, get your photos together developed and date them, have your phone records where you called your fiance handy, send letters to each other and bring those, if you mail presents to each other bring evidence of that, save your text messages and print those out, save your flight ticket stubs and itineraries, save your hotel receipts, car rental receipts, receipts from restaurants, shops, etc. Anything to prove that you have gone to see your fiance and that you two are still communicating in a loving and on-going relationship will help your case at the consular level. Again, how closely the consulate looks at your relationship will depend on the country your fiance is from but people generally suggest having more evidence than you need just in case.

Both of you need to submit a letter. One from you. One from him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.