Jim_Tanja

Residency registration

15 posts in this topic

I seem to recall reading something like this before, but can not seem to find it. Hopefully some others who have brought a spouse over can comment on this.

Tanja and I have been discussing the flat she lives in. She wishes to keep it (not sub-rent it out). While it is not a huge amount every month, the practical side of me wonders about spending money each month for 'an empty apartment.'

Now the money aside, what exactly are the implications on her registration if she keeps it, leaves it, or rents it out? Can she register elsewhere (consualte or embassy here in USA)? I assume where she is registered effects her passport renewal etc. Obviously it will take some time before getting citizenship here, and we do want to travel back to Russia during that time.

Hopefully some of the more experienced VJers will have some words of wisdom on this registration situation!

09-Mar-06: Visit Tatiana in Omsk

13-Mar-06: Propose to Tatiana, she says yes! :)

11-Apr-06: Send I129F

18-Apr-06: NOA1

01-Jun-06: Transferred from Nebraska to California

15-Jun-06: Visit Tatiana and Celebration in Omsk

03-Jul-06: Receive IMBRA RFE

05-Jul-06: Return IMBRA RFE

11-Jul-06: RFE accepted email

31-Jul-06: APPROVED NOA2!!!

07-Aug-06: Touched (Send to NVC touch?)

10-Aug-06: NVC received

16-Aug-06: NVC letter sent

21-Aug-06: NVC sent to Moscow

23-Aug-06: DHL delivers to embassy

12-Sep-06: Rcvd Packet from embassy

25-Oct-06: Interview at embassy - VISA APPROVED!!!

03-Nov-06: Reunited again in Detroit!

25-Nov-06: Married =)

04-Dec-06: Filed AOS

07-Dec-06: NOA1

26-Dec-06: Biometrics

19-Dec-06: RFE requested

26-Dec-06: Received RFE

27-Dec-06: Sent back RFE

03-Jan-07: Email of RFE acceptance

06-Mar-07: Interview - 'Green cards should arrive 1 to 2 weeks in mail' =)

09-Mar-07: Received welcome emails

10-Mar-07: Received K2 welcome letter

12-Mar-07: Received K1 welcome letter

15-Mar-07: Greencards arrive!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You really should have your wife address these questions with the local Russian authorities.

Basically as I understand it, you can only have one registration. In order to get another registration you must first unregister from one place. Keeping her registration in Russia will obviously prevent her from registering at the consulate. As you mentioned someone will have to keep paying her "registration - flat" fees while she is away.

Akdiver has had a much different experience dealing with the Russian consulate in Seattle than I have in San Francisco. Again, as I was told you need to register with the consulate in order to do passport renewals in the US. But I can't see why they wouldn't do renewals for their citizens who are just "temporary" visitors. Again email,write, or call the consulate in question.

I hardly doubt anyone on VJ will have much experience with this.

Not to mention Russian law at all levels is always changing without notice and arbitrarily enforced.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This question seems to be on the very fringe of the material discussed here. It is highly unlikely that you will get any kind of definitive, knowledgeable response from someone on here. Your best bet is for your wife to discuss the matter with a local lawyeer in her town and/or the authorities involved.

Good luck!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

How does that work if the lady comes here and still owns property in Russia? Elena's mom signed over her flat to her a couple weeks ago, so she will own a flat in Russia, while living here. Is it possible to still own property there but have registration here?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

How does that work if the lady comes here and still owns property in Russia? Elena's mom signed over her flat to her a couple weeks ago, so she will own a flat in Russia, while living here. Is it possible to still own property there but have registration here?

I don't know. She is thinking she will stay registered in Omsk. It is something we still need to sort out.

The flat used to belong to her grandmother, so she has some sentimental reasons for keeping it as well. I am still trying to figure out the whole registration thing and what options we have available for us.

Satellite, where are you buddy?

To register at the Consulate here in the U.S., does the RC have to "unregister" from their home of record? And, what exactly are the benefits of registering here with the Consulate? (Travel ease for going back to Russia? Tax relief?)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Satellite, where are you buddy?

To register at the Consulate here in the U.S., does the RC have to "unregister" from their home of record? And, what exactly are the benefits of registering here with the Consulate? (Travel ease for going back to Russia? Tax relief?)

I'm still here just not as often.

Yes, in order to register at the consulate here you must bring proof of "unregistering" from back in Russia. Usually a stamp in the passport or letter from Russian authorities with all the proper official seals.

The benefits seem iffy. By far the best is that you can return to Russia and if you stay under 90 days you don't ever had to register in any city. Passport renewal can be done in the US, supposedly with less of a hassle. You'll have to call, email. or write the consulate to find out what other benefits might be associated with registering. There must be some distinction in terms of being treated as a temporary versus permanent Russian citizen residing in the US.

Filed: Timeline

I registered as a temporary Russian citizen residing in US. In order to do so RC have to have place of registration in Russia in other words "propiska", otherwise RC will have to register as a Russian citizen permanently residing in the US. In my opinion it is better to be temporary registered if person has property on his/her name in Russia and not planning to sell it anytime soon. Plus, if for some reason(family emergencies for example) RC have to stay in Russia for a long period of time, registering back could be a hassle.

I had to apply for a new passport and I didn't have any problem to do so without being permanently registered there. As Satellite mention it all depends on the particular Consulate. I'm in Washington DC area.

So I kept my russian "propiska" registration and was able to renew my passport without a problem.

Hope it helps.

I guess having a "permanent resident" ID card here in the U.S. doesn't automatically mean that you're a permanent resident in the eyes of Russia. (Russia doesn't actually acknowledge anything for RC except that which is issued in Russia or by the Consulate, correct?)

Seems like the way to go is if the RC has no property or no family issues back home, then "unregistering" is best to ease travel to and from on short visits. But, if there is property or elderly/sick family back home, keeping the propiska may be the better option.

Thanks guys!

Русский форум член.

Thanks, definately apprreciate the input. It is always interesting when dealing with Russian rules! =)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Jim_Tanja,

Even if you want to keep that apartment, I would advise that Tanja goes to a notary public and signs a paper temporarily transferring her ownership rights (DOVERENNOST') to someone she trusts (le.g. her mother). This paper is usually valid for 2 years. In that case, her mother will be able to resolve all issues and problems with the property. And who knows if the problems will arise?

Jim_Tanja,

Even if you want to keep that apartment, I would advise that Tanja goes to a notary public and signs a paper temporarily transferring her ownership rights (DOVERENNOST') to someone she trusts (le.g. her mother). This paper is usually valid for 2 years. In that case, her mother will be able to resolve all issues and problems with the property. And who knows if the problems will arise?

I'll pass that info along to her as well! Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Timeline

I am still registered in my Moscow apartment and I am almost a citizen in US. I renewed my Russian passport through the Houston consulate this year. It wasn't a big deal. They just consider you to be a temporary residing in the US Russian citizen. That's fine with me.

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
I am still registered in my Moscow apartment and I am almost a citizen in US. I renewed my Russian passport through the Houston consulate this year. It wasn't a big deal. They just consider you to be a temporary residing in the US Russian citizen. That's fine with me.

My wife is now a ctizen of the US and still maintains her Russian citizenship. She transferred her apartment to her parents to keep it in the family, but both still consider the apt. to be my wife's. This works well for us and we send them money periodically for the upkeep, elec. water etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.