Duders

Which one?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone.

We just recently sent off our I-129f and I'm looking into what documents we'll need for the next step. I know I need to get a new birth certificate, mine doesn't have the info they want. I'm born and raised in Alberta, and I know I can order a new birth certificate from Vital Statistics. However, there are two options that could be what I need and I'm just confused as to which I should order. There's the birth certificate which has all the info I need on it (name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, registration number, registration date, name of parents and their place of birth), but then there's the photocopy of registration of birth, which is a photocopy of the original registration, and also has all that info and says that it has an official raised seal and all that.

So, is there anyone out there from Alberta or anyone who knows for sure which one I need to get? Any help would be much appreciated!

-sam and dan

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not from Alberta, but it seems to me you answered your own question :lol: I would get the original long form sent to you because the consulate will ask for the original, not a photocopy of the registration...

Just a thought!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not from Alberta, but it seems to me you answered your own question :lol: I would get the original long form sent to you because the consulate will ask for the original, not a photocopy of the registration...

Just a thought!

The consulate requires to see the original of all official documents at the interview. They need the long version of the birth certificate. Same yourself headaches later and order it now!

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

When I ordered mine, I got the original long version, my paperwork was approved. Definitely order it online through the government site, it came quickly!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Timeline

just to be clear.. you will never get the originals.. you will get a certified copy of the original...

you need the one that has your parent's name on it and their place of birth..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Hey everyone.

We just recently sent off our I-129f and I'm looking into what documents we'll need for the next step. I know I need to get a new birth certificate, mine doesn't have the info they want. I'm born and raised in Alberta, and I know I can order a new birth certificate from Vital Statistics. However, there are two options that could be what I need and I'm just confused as to which I should order. There's the birth certificate which has all the info I need on it (name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, registration number, registration date, name of parents and their place of birth), but then there's the photocopy of registration of birth, which is a photocopy of the original registration, and also has all that info and says that it has an official raised seal and all that.

So, is there anyone out there from Alberta or anyone who knows for sure which one I need to get? Any help would be much appreciated!

-sam and dan

You only need the long form birth certificate, not your registration of birth. I am from Alberta and it only took 4-5 days to get it but they made an error on it and had to send it back to get fixed. Order it as soon as you can, I think it was around $25.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone.

-sam and dan

Like the other said... Long form. Order - http://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/vs/REG3023.pdf and get the one with "Certificate with Personal Information and Parentage". Won't take long :)

Good luck and welcome to the process!

event.png

Married 09-19-10

I-130 Stage

10-31-10: I-130 Sent

03-16-11: APPROVED!!!!

(132 days from NOA1 to NOA2 at CSC)

NVC Stage

04-01-11: NVC Case Number Assigned/Sent Opt-in Email

04-05-11: Paid AOS Fee ($88) and got confirmation of OPTIN

04-09-11: Sent AOS package (I-864 and supporting documents)

04-11-11: Paid IV Fee ($404) and Choice of Agent confirmed and AOS package confirmed received

05-02-11: DS-260 filled out and submitted

05-06-11: Sent DS-260 Supporting Documents

06-07-11: Case Complete!!

(70 days in NVC)

Medical and Interview

07-27-11: Medical Appt.

08-08-11: Interview (221g) AP

09-15-11: Denied- Inadmissiable 212(a)(2)(A)(i)- CIMT

601-Waiver Process

09-12-12: Filed I-601 Waiver at lockbox (hired lawyer for this)

02-05-13: APPROVED (4 1/2 months)

03-08:13: Sent updated medical/other papers to Montreal

Waiting for VISA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Like the other said... Long form. Order - http://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/vs/REG3023.pdf and get the one with "Certificate with Personal Information and Parentage". Won't take long :)

Good luck and welcome to the process!

Odd in Quebec, we don't have the same long version as it doesn't list parent's place of birth. It's either a pocket size laminated one or a slightly bigger one.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Odd in Quebec, we don't have the same long version as it doesn't list parent's place of birth. It's either a pocket size laminated one or a slightly bigger one.

True, and if anyone is reading this, please note that the small one is completely useless with the consulate, and that if your birth was registered in French, you will not be able to have one issued to you in English. You'll need to have it translated.

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

True, and if anyone is reading this, please note that the small one is completely useless with the consulate, and that if your birth was registered in French, you will not be able to have one issued to you in English. You'll need to have it translated.

Translation into French is not required if it is presented to the Consulate. Only required if sending documents to USCIS.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

We did not have to get my husband Quebec birth certificate translated to English. When I called USCIS they said as long as the birth certificate is in English or in the language of the country of interview (We interviewed in Montreal so a French birth certificate was fine) we did not need to have it translated.

J-

Our Story

03-05-2008: Met Online (World of Warcraft)

04-19-2008: Met in Person and Started Dating

04-19-2009: Engaged

08-07-2009: Married at Laconia, New Hampshire

USCIS

10-21-2009: Mailed I-130

10-26-2009: NOA1

05-17-2010: NOA2

Our I-130 was approved in 203 days from our NOA1 date

NVC

05-25-2010: Called NVC to receive case # and submit emails

06-01-2010: AOS Fee Paid

06-09-2010: Opt-in accepted

06-16-2010: E-mailed I-864 package

06-23-2010: IV Fee Paid

07-12-2010: E-mailed DS230 package

08-04-2010: Email from NVC - Case Completed

NVC process completed in 71 days

CONSULATE

12-07-2011: Received consulate interview date

12-13-2010: Medical Exam (Medisys)

01-07-2011: Interview - APPROVED!

POE & POST INTERVIEW

01-16-2011: POE Highgate Springs, VT

01-22-2011: SSN Card Received

01-24-2011: Receipt Letter Arrived

02-10-2011: Biometrics Appointment (uncommon for CR-1)

03-15-2011: Welcome Notice Received

03-19-2011: 2 Year Green Card Arrived

Timeline

Mumm... Must have changed then, because I was asked for it at my interview in Montreal (the translation)

Mumm... Must have changed then, because I was asked for it at my interview in Montreal (the translation)

When we went for our interview and were called up to one of the windows the man there was extremely rude about it. He asked me where the translation was and I told him I didn't have one. The response I got was a VERY rude "who told you that" and I explained to him what USCIS had told me over the phone. I got a dirty look but that was it. The woman at the actual interview said we were fine and the translation wasn't needed.

J-

Our Story

03-05-2008: Met Online (World of Warcraft)

04-19-2008: Met in Person and Started Dating

04-19-2009: Engaged

08-07-2009: Married at Laconia, New Hampshire

USCIS

10-21-2009: Mailed I-130

10-26-2009: NOA1

05-17-2010: NOA2

Our I-130 was approved in 203 days from our NOA1 date

NVC

05-25-2010: Called NVC to receive case # and submit emails

06-01-2010: AOS Fee Paid

06-09-2010: Opt-in accepted

06-16-2010: E-mailed I-864 package

06-23-2010: IV Fee Paid

07-12-2010: E-mailed DS230 package

08-04-2010: Email from NVC - Case Completed

NVC process completed in 71 days

CONSULATE

12-07-2011: Received consulate interview date

12-13-2010: Medical Exam (Medisys)

01-07-2011: Interview - APPROVED!

POE & POST INTERVIEW

01-16-2011: POE Highgate Springs, VT

01-22-2011: SSN Card Received

01-24-2011: Receipt Letter Arrived

02-10-2011: Biometrics Appointment (uncommon for CR-1)

03-15-2011: Welcome Notice Received

03-19-2011: 2 Year Green Card Arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, same as Vero here... I had to have my birth certificate translated into English by a certified translator. They definitely wanted the translation at the interview and they kept it.

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.