icaruslol

Final Questions Before Sending AOS Package

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

A little background story: I came here on F1 4 years ago and married my wife in December. I stopped going to school after the Fall semester and now I'm sending in my I-130 and I-485 packages.

1- Is it bad to send too many documents just to be on the safe side? I mean I've checked all the instructions and it doesn't say that I need to send a copy of my I-20(in my case I-20s because I transferred a lot). Do I need to send any I-20s?

2- I've received OPT from my school which was originally 3 months valid but I overused for over a year now. I'm reporting this all in the forms but my question is, should I send a copy of my Social Security Card?

3- Is sending photos for Bona Fide marriage a good idea? I've included our lease, our joint bank account statement(which was opened a year ago), one photo from facebook which has the date from 2009 in order to show that we've met a while ago, and a photo from the wedding.

ARe these enough?

4- My sponsor which is my brother, filed his taxes with his wife last year. In the I-864, I've included these documents:

I-864

Copy of the Tax Return forms from 2010

A copy of his Green Card (front and back)

A letter from the Employer

Pay stubs from the last 3 months

I-864a (for his wife)

Their marriage certificate to show relationship

A utility bill with both their name and adress on for evidence of sharing household

Copy of the Tax Return forms(which is the same as above since they filed together)

Last 2 weeks pay stubs(best I could get)

5- Should I send anything in native language? I have both the English and Native language copies of my birth certificate and wondering if I should send both.

6- I've already gotten a medical exam from a general surgeon. But I also have an immunazion card that shows the shots that I had before attending college(it's yellow). Should I send a copy of that?

Here are the list of things I'm sending. Sorry about to long list but if you have a minute and take a look it would be great:

G-1145 on the very top

I-130 package:

1- Money Order

2- Cover Letter

3- I-130

4- My Wife's US birth Certificate(in the guide it says front and back but there's nothing in the back(I checked many times) so only front. I might address that in the cover letter)

5- My birth certificate (English and probably in native language)

6- Marriage Certificate and supporting documents:

• my wife didn't change her name after marriage but couple of months later so for that I have:
  • The receipt that she received from the SS office about her request for change
  • the new social secuity card with her new last name

7- G325a filed by me

8- 1 Passport photo of me

9- G325a filled by my wife

10- Her passport photo

11- Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage:

• Our joint bank account statement which we opened last year
  • Our lease from November
  • 2009 dated photo of our one of the first dates
  • marriage photo

I-485 Package:

1- Money Order

2- Cover Letter

3- I-485

4- Copy of my passport

5- My I-94 front and back

6- My birth certificate with English translation

7- Marriage Certificate and supporting documents:

• my wife didn't change her name after marriage but couple of months later so for that I have:
  • The receipt that she received from the SS office about her request for change
  • the new social secuity card with her new last name

8- 2 Passport photos

9- G-325A

10- I-693 filled by general surgeon and sealed

11- I-864 filled by my brother and supporting documents:

I-864

Copy of the Tax Return forms from 2010

A copy of his Green Card (front and back)

A letter from the Employer

Pay stubs from the last 3 months

I-864a (for his wife)

Their marriage certificate to show relationship

A utility bill with both their name and adress on for evidence of sharing household

Copy of the Tax Return forms(which is the same as above since they filed together)

Last 2 weeks pay stubs(best I could get)

12- I-765 and supporting documents:

• Copy of my F1 Visa
  • My national ID because I look different on my Visa photo, I had long hair and had contacts so just in case I'm putting this too
  • 2 Passport photos

How does it look?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by icaruslol

N-400 Progress

10/18/14 Sent the N-400 Application visa USPS

One thing I notice you don't have is I-131, application for travel document. If you think there is no possibility of you wanting to travel abroad before getting your GC (so within the next 3-6 months on average, could be longer), you don't need it - but if I were you, I'd get it just in case. If you don't have an Advance Parole document, you cannot leave the US until you get your GC. Or, you can leave, but cannot return. So I would add that, since it doesn't add to the cost and is fast and easy to fill out (though you need photos for that one too I think).

Other than that, your list looks good to me.

1. I-20: I had the same issue, I didn't notice it being requested specifically in the instructions, but it is a proof of you originally entering US legally with a non-immigrant visa, so I put copies of my I-20s in just to be on the safe side. Won't hurt.

2. I don't think they need your SSN card, but again, putting the copy in there won't hurt.. Overstay and illegal work (which you effectively did, if you kept working here after your OPT expired) is forgiven for spouses of USCs who entered with a non-immigrant visa.

3.The photos are fine. You don't have that long of a list of proof, though lease and bank accounts are the best kind. wedding photos especially are good. You can always bring more to the interview.

4. Didn't have a co-sponsor so unfortunately can't comment on this..

5. Yes, you should send a copy of the original BC in the original language, and attach the translation. Remember, the translation needs to have a certification signed by the translator stating that the person who translated the document is fluent in both languages.

6. The civil surgeon has marked your immunizations on the I-693 form, you don't need to send additional proof.

Good luck!

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Timeline

Thank you very much for your reply!

I really don't need to travel abroad. I mean, I haven't been back for 4 years not because I couldn't but because I didn't want to. Other than that I'll make copies of my I-20's and put them in the package. Thank you again!

N-400 Progress

Timeline

Think its a good idea to send all the I-20's you have been issued. If you have english and native, just send english only IMO...the less confusing the better! Your sponsors have given you so much they may as well add an affidavit!

What do you mean they might as well add an affidavit? They have already filled out I-864 and I-864a which are Affidavit of Support

N-400 Progress

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.