hala_amira

DELTA SAYS MOROCCO IS PART OF EUROPE?!!!

27 posts in this topic

I agree with squeaky When flying out of ny and booked with ram never had a problem with 2 bags and a carry on. Have been over the luggage weight and was not charged but I don't count on that as it's rare.

When I flew put of Philly on delta I was able to check in two and have carryon. I really think that's because I signed up for frequent flyer program.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

That only works for people who live in or close to JFK because for everyone else you still need a domestic flight to JFK which will still charge you for baggage.

I don't live that close to JFK- I took a bus to New York, or I'd take a train. Cheaper than flying, less hassle.. I do hope that RAM follows through with flying into Dulles.. It will make the flights bus/train accessible to a lot more people on the East Coast :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I always book directly with Royal Air Maroc and have never had this problem. They allow 2 checked bags, a carry on, and a personal bag. I'd never book a RAM flight through Delta for this reason.

Hey Squeaky, did you fly with another airline first to get to the location of the Royal air Maroc flight? Or are you lucky that you don't have to transfer in the U.S.!! I looked at booking with RAM but wouldn't make sense for what I would have to pay for another ticket to get to jfk or canada. I hate my options!!!

This is why I hate flying, nothing is ever clear and can change without notice. Also you'll get someone from an airline tell you one thing and then another person from the same airline will tell you that "Well that person was wrong!!!" Sorry too bad....

Yeah also liked how Delta doesn't list all surrounding neighbors by Morocco as being "Europe". Now Delta is making up its own personal E.U.

Timeline

I don't live that close to JFK- I took a bus to New York, or I'd take a train. Cheaper than flying, less hassle.. I do hope that RAM follows through with flying into Dulles.. It will make the flights bus/train accessible to a lot more people on the East Coast :)

Ha! I was such in a hurry to post that I didn't bother to read the rest of the thread!!

Timeline

How stupid! Funny that Tunisia and Algeria are in Europe but Libya(their neighbor) is not.

I know!! Also I don't get how The Terms and Conditions part says that the purpose of this chart is solely intended for awarding skymiles. NOTHING about the chart being used to define "europe" for baggage. I saw that chart on the Delta website under the baggage rules when you hit the word "Europe" that chart pops up!!! But the terms and conditions for the chart says thats not what that charts purpose is for? But only for awarding miles!!!?? That is misleading!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Never been to Casa but I did throw a big American fit in the Tunisian airport over the EXACT same issue. Still, in the end, despite the POLICY in hand...and my feet on African soil...I had to pay $75 to take my bag home from the "European" airport in Tunis. :bonk:

Is that a change? When I flew to Morocco last summer is was 2 bags for free because it was an international flight. Now since I booked the to NY portion separate they wanted to charge me for the second bag on the US leg of the flight but when I showed them my confirmation for the NY to Casa flight they didn't charge me. The same applied with the return trip with my husband.

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Is that a change? When I flew to Morocco last summer is was 2 bags for free because it was an international flight. Now since I booked the to NY portion separate they wanted to charge me for the second bag on the US leg of the flight but when I showed them my confirmation for the NY to Casa flight they didn't charge me. The same applied with the return trip with my husband.

It happened in November but may have been complicated because I flew Delta business there with 2 bags checked thru and the cattle car seats back. Also, Delta does not fly into Tunis. Have to take Air France for the Paris to Tunis portion. It may just be an AF thing. Sorry, clear as mud I know.

Timeline

HELLO,

I thought this would be the right place to post this thread NORTH AFRICA AND MIDDLE EAST about flying to MOROCCO which is in North AFRICA! I will be flying Delta to JFK and Royal Air Maroc from JFK to Casa. The ticket is the same booked with Delta,so I know that my bags will be checked all the way through going to Morocco. I have heard that Delta considers Morocco as "Europe" and not Africa so the 2 free checked bags for international flights does not apply but only 1!! I looked at some travel websites discussing of this issue with Delta and actually argue about it when they check their bags in saying Morocco is in Africa not Europe and that the 2 checked bags free should apply. Anyone with a recent experience is this true? I thought I would try Visa Journey for advice since so many of you have traveled between the U.S. and Morocco multiply times AND recently.

Thanks Team.

I flew last November, the exact flight, and was told I had to pay for the second bag. I was livid and they did all they could to help me get everything into one large bag, but they wouldn't waive the fee. The also warned me the same would happen when I returned. Well, I was able to return with less, so I didn't have that issue. However, I was detained in NY by Immigration because it stated I had filed for a K1 when they scanned my passport. I still have no idea why I was pulled and sent the "office" and the man who spoke to me said the same. I explained he was no longer my fiance, but my husband now and the application was closed.

Be prepared for anything and try to pack it in 1 bag. :-)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

HELLO,

I thought this would be the right place to post this thread NORTH AFRICA AND MIDDLE EAST about flying to MOROCCO which is in North AFRICA! I will be flying Delta to JFK and Royal Air Maroc from JFK to Casa. The ticket is the same booked with Delta,so I know that my bags will be checked all the way through going to Morocco. I have heard that Delta considers Morocco as "Europe" and not Africa so the 2 free checked bags for international flights does not apply but only 1!! I looked at some travel websites discussing of this issue with Delta and actually argue about it when they check their bags in saying Morocco is in Africa not Europe and that the 2 checked bags free should apply. Anyone with a recent experience is this true? I thought I would try Visa Journey for advice since so many of you have traveled between the U.S. and Morocco multiply times AND recently.

Thanks Team.

I have flown to Morocco twice with delta and always got 2 in the last year and a half and was allowed 2 free checked bags both times

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I flew from Tampa to JFK on Delta , then JFK to Casa on Royal Air Morocco................only had to pay for the 2nd bag from Tampa to JFK. In March I went from Tampa to JFK on Jet Blue, then JFK to Casa on Royal Air Morocco......again, only had to pay for the 2nd bag from Tampa to JFK. I never had to pay RAM for any bags and you are allowed a "purse" and a carry on too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We ran into the same thing out of Omaha last November. My husband flew a few weeks before me, Omaha to NY to Casa. Delta then RAM. When he flew, I argued I had checked online and it was 2 bags. She let him fly with two. For my flight, I printed out the Delta page which clearly says "Europe 1 bag" and "africa or all other (i can't remember which) 2 bags". You only get the list of countries if you click on Europe. Now why would I click on Europe? Delta doesn't just get to readjust the continents because they wish to. I was totally prepared to argue that there is no way I could have known they considered Morocco Europe. But she let it go anyway.

Unfortunately, on the way back, we flew Air France through Paris so i figured I'd just pay. Not to mention, arguing with Moroccans at Mohammed V airport at 5 am is the last thing I want to do, not to mention guaranteed to be ineffective.

So my advice is to print up the Delta page and then ask them why in the world would you click on Europe? There is NO WAY they can argue that you should have. We all took geography in Jr. Hi!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.