FILIPINAFLYGIRL

k1 visa for philippines

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hey guys,

i'm kinda new to the site but i need some of your opinions on something...hope you can help...so here goes:

i want to petition my fiance who is in the philippines...i'm here in the states...he was previously married to a us citizen...his ex-wife is now here...they are divorced and she has even re-married! so my question is...since the philippines doesn't recognize divorce...what does he have to do in order for us to get married?

-file an anullment?

-file a petition for recognition of foreign divorce decree?

-or nothing?

i'm finally ready to mail the petition in thinking that i would not have a problem since she's re-married and i have their divorce papers but he's stressing that there maybe something we're missing...any help would be great!

Timeline

hey guys,

i'm kinda new to the site but i need some of your opinions on something...hope you can help...so here goes:

i want to petition my fiance who is in the philippines...i'm here in the states...he was previously married to a us citizen...his ex-wife is now here...they are divorced and she has even re-married! so my question is...since the philippines doesn't recognize divorce...what does he have to do in order for us to get married?

-file an anullment?

-file a petition for recognition of foreign divorce decree?

-or nothing?

i'm finally ready to mail the petition in thinking that i would not have a problem since she's re-married and i have their divorce papers but he's stressing that there maybe something we're missing...any help would be great!

You need to make him unmarried in the eyes of the Philippine goverment. that requires the petition for recognition of foreign divorce decree.

I think there might be a rule that the US citizen filed the divorce.

Timeline

You need to make him unmarried in the eyes of the Philippine goverment. that requires the petition for recognition of foreign divorce decree.

I think there might be a rule that the US citizen filed the divorce.

thanks so much for replying...yes i was trying to do some research on that recognition of foreign divorce decree! do u think i need that first before i even submit the i129f petition? or do u think i can get away with doing it at the same time?

Timeline

Best wait for filing. Signing the k1 application is saying you are both free to marry. Even if the divorce or correct papers come thru before your app is processed, it will not look right because the date of filing would be before the divorce papers date. I was going to do the same by filing k1 before my fiancee annulement was complete but learned otherwise. Play it safe.

Visa K1 Journey

02-21-10 met online

04-13-10 visit for 21 days in Philippines

08-14-10 visit for 3 months in Philippines

11-01-10 filed K-1

11-06-10 NOA1 received

04-19-11 RFE received

04-21-11 RFE returned

05-04-11 NOA2

05-11-11 Received at NVC, case number assigned

05-13-11 Left NVC to the USEM

06-01-11 Set up interview with embassy

07-21-11 Approved!... with an additional document she needs to aquire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHEKx6afFw

If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time

Timeline

uverseman - he is actually already divorced. the papers was stamped 06/26/07. i'm talking more of the 'recognition of foreign divorce decree'...the papers indicating philippines has recognized the divorce as legal...

Timeline

He and his ex-wife must have been married in the Philippines right? Otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. Is that correct? I may have missed this in your post.

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Timeline

When you send in your 129f you are supposed to include a paper saying that you are legally able and willing to marry your fiance'.

Until he files in PI to get that recognized you are not legally able to Marry. So do that first

Timeline

here is a link to a thread where the subject was discussed in more detail.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297447-marriage-fraud-divorce-and-a-life-on-hold/

of course your situation is not exactly the same, you can find more threads like it by typing into Googlle custom search box,

thats in the upper right hand corner of your screen. It should be just below your name "Filipinaflygirl"

you could type in "foriegn divorce Philippines"

You will notice that everyone does not agree on everything. You need to read it and make up your own mind.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.