Nessa

Registering our marriage with the Brazilian Consulate

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is it absolutely necessary for us to register our marriage with the Brazilian Consulate? I mean legally, is it okay if I just keep all my Brazilian documents (passaport, etc) in my maiden name? If I register my marriage, won't I need to re-do all my documents in Brazil so they'll show my married name?

I've been thinking, it's such a pain in the ... having to do that, the paperwork, the money we'll be spending, so time consuming, since we can't just do here where we live (we live in KS, btw).

What are the pros and cons in registering our marriage? We've postponed this for so long because we'd have to go to Houston, and we're both busy with work and our son.

Anyway, please advise.

Note: not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. It didn't seem right to post this in the latin forum

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

You don't have to register your marriage in Brazil unless you chose to do so. You can keep your passport in your maiden name. Is your green card in your maiden name or married name? If it is in your married name, hen travelling you may want to bring a copy of your marriage certificate to show the name difference between passport and GC. Sometimes they don't even ask.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

it's in my married name. but I'm getting the citizenship so I'll need an American passport to enter the States next time we travel.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Timeline

I don't really know the 'legal' implications. Particularly I don't think you need to register your marriage in Brazil at all. I did get my registered at the consulate and they told me that, next time I go to BR I should bring the marriage certificate and register at a Brazilian cartorio, which I reckon would help to get my brazilian documents changed. My new BR passport is updated, as I renewed it at the consulate. So is my voting card. I would have to change my ID card, I suppose and CPF. I don't know. As you mentioned is time, money and energy consuming and if you're not planing to live there, and you already applied for US citizenship, I certainly don't see the point. :whistle: :whistle:

BTW the baby is gorgeous! Congrats! :)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Timeline

we don't plan on living there any time soon. we talked about it in the future, after Charles retires.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.