JimVaPhuong

CRBA required before a visa will be issued

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

ugh the wait is excrutiating. it's exactly been a month so any day now i hope. found a number where we can call for updates w/o having to go into the embassy...they have a canned response no matter the timeframe "probably another 2-3 weeks" :bonk:

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

called up DoS dept that handles passport applications/status...they couldn't find my son's name in the system :(.

I'm guessing the CRBA goes through a different channel of obtaining US passports. the csrs couldn't give me any concrete answer, just said there's an "overseeing" branch and that could be where it is.

coming up on 6 weeks next tues.

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I did the CRBA very early, it didn't matter in the end that it took a whopping 4 months to finally get issued the passport and CRBA. I was able to patiently wait for it until I got bored and sent an email to nvcinquiry@ stressing how long it's taken since the interview date. Guess what, next day I received an email response its ready to pick up at the embassy.

Timeline

I did the CRBA very early, it didn't matter in the end that it took a whopping 4 months to finally get issued the passport and CRBA. I was able to patiently wait for it until I got bored and sent an email to nvcinquiry@ stressing how long it's taken since the interview date. Guess what, next day I received an email response its ready to pick up at the embassy.

bpham,

that's my worst fear...that it's going to take 2-3 mos to be done. is the email nvcinquiry@state.gov? i've been trying everywhere else and no one can give me a straight answer.

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I recalled from memory wrong, it's actually hcmcinfo@state.gov and I got a response back from ACSHCMC@state.gov

I actually wrote one email and sent to both addresses. Write your email with HCM# and spouse name/birth your name/birth in memo format. State how long it's been since your interview.

Timeline

I recalled from memory wrong, it's actually hcmcinfo@state.gov and I got a response back from ACSHCMC@state.gov

I actually wrote one email and sent to both addresses. Write your email with HCM# and spouse name/birth your name/birth in memo format. State how long it's been since your interview.

Those are email addresses for the consulate in HCMC. That's not DoS or NVC.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

2.5 months later we still don't have crba/passport. we've been calling them so much they're about as sick of us as we are of them. the viet lady in the embassy told us they received the crba/passport from US on monday...and they're still holding onto it for "administrative processing" (trying to translate as best as i could). :bonk:

god i HATE vietnam bureaucracy so much! those b#!@%S&...ugh

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Timeline

2.5 months later we still don't have crba/passport. we've been calling them so much they're about as sick of us as we are of them. the viet lady in the embassy told us they received the crba/passport from US on monday...and they're still holding onto it for "administrative processing" (trying to translate as best as i could). :bonk:

god i HATE vietnam bureaucracy so much! those b#!@%S&...ugh

This ain't bureaucracy. They're using the CRBA in lieu of putting your case in AP. It provides a convenient excuse for delaying a decision on your visa case. There is no "administrative processing" on a CRBA once the passport has been issued. They're stalling. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do except wait.

Timeline

i'm not sure why they're stalling? unless the crba side is working with the k-1. now you actually got me a little nervous. i thought it was weird when they have the passport/crba in hand and the lady said they need to do some paperworks...i asked what paperwork and she just kinda brushed me off.

oh well i'll update again once i hear something.

Edited by quann

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Timeline

i'm not sure why they're stalling? unless the crba side is working with the k-1. now you actually got me a little nervous. i thought it was weird when they have the passport/crba in hand and the lady said they need to do some paperworks...i asked what paperwork and she just kinda brushed me off.

oh well i'll update again once i hear something.

Once the CRBA has been approved and the passport has been printed then the CRBA process is finished. There are no administrative processes left to be done. I can't think of any other reason they'd make this excuse unless they were stalling because it's the final loose end before they're supposed to issue the K1 visa.

Timeline

jim,

bloody strange, isn't it? would the crba side work together with the k-1 branch like this within the consulate? i guess they could be intertwined but thought they work as separate entities. when i was doing the crba they did ask if i filed for cr1/k1 visa and if i had an interview date. i have no idea what other work could be done, it's been 2.5mos of waiting you'd think whatever background checks they needed to do they would've done by now...and would've wrapped up by the time the passport get there.

we do not have time-consuming red flags like pesky divorced exes, beneficiary relatives in US (she has none)...we weren't set up by anyone, didn't marry within 15 minutes of meeting each other. by her account the interview went well and they just wanted to wait for passport/crba (like your friend).

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Timeline

jim,

bloody strange, isn't it? would the crba side work together with the k-1 branch like this within the consulate? i guess they could be intertwined but thought they work as separate entities. when i was doing the crba they did ask if i filed for cr1/k1 visa and if i had an interview date. i have no idea what other work could be done, it's been 2.5mos of waiting you'd think whatever background checks they needed to do they would've done by now...and would've wrapped up by the time the passport get there.

we do not have time-consuming red flags like pesky divorced exes, beneficiary relatives in US (she has none)...we weren't set up by anyone, didn't marry within 15 minutes of meeting each other. by her account the interview went well and they just wanted to wait for passport/crba (like your friend).

It's only strange if you believe what they're saying about "administrative processing" for the CRBA. There may indeed be some "administrative processing" involved, but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the CRBA. If there were any additional processing required for the CRBA then they wouldn't have approved it or issued the passport yet. I can think of no rational reason they'd be holding up the CRBA and passport unless they're using it as a stalling tactic for the K1. It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Timeline

It's only strange if you believe what they're saying about "administrative processing" for the CRBA. There may indeed be some "administrative processing" involved, but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the CRBA. If there were any additional processing required for the CRBA then they wouldn't have approved it or issued the passport yet. I can think of no rational reason they'd be holding up the CRBA and passport unless they're using it as a stalling tactic for the K1. It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

ahh, ok lost in translation. reading this forum so much about APs, those were the words that popped into my head when translating the convo i had with the viet lady. more like she said "paperworks" needed to be done...which is still strange because what else is there to do on the vietnam side once crba/passport has already been issued? my thinking was that maybe they had to enter it into a database or whatever.

another strange thing is for some reason even tho the crba appointment took place on may 10th, they did not send the application to america until the beginning of june :crying: . maybe the processing of these is different now (is what i keep telling myself).

at least i'm becoming quite the expert in the CRBA and K-1 process :thumbs:

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Timeline

ahh, ok lost in translation. reading this forum so much about APs, those were the words that popped into my head when translating the convo i had with the viet lady. more like she said "paperworks" needed to be done...which is still strange because what else is there to do on the vietnam side once crba/passport has already been issued? my thinking was that maybe they had to enter it into a database or whatever.

another strange thing is for some reason even tho the crba appointment took place on may 10th, they did not send the application to america until the beginning of june :crying: . maybe the processing of these is different now (is what i keep telling myself).

at least i'm becoming quite the expert in the CRBA and K-1 process :thumbs:

Closing the USCIS field office in HCMC may have had some effect on the delay. Dunno. :blush:

Timeline

well, got the email yesterday to pick up the passport/crba. she also submitted them along with the blue slip and the result is PINK. due to pick up visa next wednesday. i'm going to wait until visa in hand to buy plane tix.

an interesting aside...another girl was also there to pick up passport/crba (did hers on 6/9). the agent that she hired told her never to call consulate to see if crba is ready, just wait 1.5mos and go there to pick up. i don't know if that actually works 100% but in this case he was correct.

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.