Jenny & Danny

Noncustodial parent permission

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello. I am expected to pass through Bogota March 26 with my fiancé and her son on our way to our POE in Houston. I am only trying to be sure that I have the proper permission for Jenny’s son. I know I need his birth certificate and a permission letter from the noncustodial father. I recently just discovered this letter needs to be in Spanish, so we are trying to get a new letter ASAP. Jenny received a form from DAS that we are also completing although I don’t see mention of this form anywhere I looked. I do have a letter from the father stating he is giving permission for the son to relocate to the US and any future travels, but it is in English and doesn’t specify a travel date. We hope to soon have a new letter in spanish that specifies the travel date. Does anyone have any experience with this? Hopefully I have covered my bases.

Thanks

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-30

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-12-20

NVC Received : 2010-12-28

NVC Left : 2010-12-30

Consulate Received : 2011-01-10

Packet 3 Received : 2011-01-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-01-10

Packet 4 Received : 2011-02-03

Interview Date : 2011-03-02

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2011-03-10

US Entry : 2011-03-26

Marriage :

Filed: TN Visa Country: Bhutan
Timeline

Hello. I am expected to pass through Bogota March 26 with my fiancé and her son on our way to our POE in Houston. I am only trying to be sure that I have the proper permission for Jenny’s son. I know I need his birth certificate and a permission letter from the noncustodial father. I recently just discovered this letter needs to be in Spanish, so we are trying to get a new letter ASAP. Jenny received a form from DAS that we are also completing although I don’t see mention of this form anywhere I looked. I do have a letter from the father stating he is giving permission for the son to relocate to the US and any future travels, but it is in English and doesn’t specify a travel date. We hope to soon have a new letter in spanish that specifies the travel date. Does anyone have any experience with this? Hopefully I have covered my bases.

Thanks

Hi Danny and Jenny,

We are at the stage that you are. We are waiting for the boys father to Fedex the notarized DAS document from Spain where the boys father resides. Be careful as it is my understanding that you must have this DAS document or they will not allow the boy to travel!

I recall reading this information in these forums in the past. Do a search and I am sure that you will find the information you need. I also recall reading that a new DAS document (must be notarized) is needed each and every time that the child travels out of Colombia.

Best wishes to you both!

Don

Sad ending.

Timeline

Hi Danny and Jenny,

We are at the stage that you are. We are waiting for the boys father to Fedex the notarized DAS document from Spain where the boys father resides. Be careful as it is my understanding that you must have this DAS document or they will not allow the boy to travel!

I recall reading this information in these forums in the past. Do a search and I am sure that you will find the information you need. I also recall reading that a new DAS document (must be notarized) is needed each and every time that the child travels out of Colombia.

Best wishes to you both!

Don

Thanks for the reply. It is my understanding that we must have the DAS form and it must have the Apostillar stamp. Simple notorization is not enough. The father will need to get this from the colombian embassey in Miami as Miami is his city of residence.I had hoped to hear from other VJ'ers that have dealt with this.

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Marriage :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The letter or agreement will need to be drawn up by an attorney at a Colombian Notary. Both parents will need to be present to sign the letter. And the mother will need to get a copy with receipt no sooner than a week before travel. And each time the child re-enters Colombia a new copy must be picked up at the notary a week before the child leaves. They ask and keep the document at immigration when you go through DAS at the airport. And of course it needs to be in Spanish. The document is to get the child out of Colombia...no document other than the K-2 visa is needed to enter U.S.A. I'll look and see what the document is called if you'd like?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

galenjr is correct. Your fiancée needs to go to a notaría in Colombia along with the child's father to sign an exit permission letter. The DAS will not let him leave the country without this signed and notarized letter and it has to be recent, within 30 days of traveling. Also, they need to do this every time the child needs to leave Colombia until he turns 18 years of age.

She can go to any notaría to get more information.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

galenjr is correct. Your fiancée needs to go to a notaría in Colombia along with the child's father to sign an exit permission letter. The DAS will not let him leave the country without this signed and notarized letter and it has to be recent, within 30 days of traveling. Also, they need to do this every time the child needs to leave Colombia until he turns 18 years of age.

She can go to any notaría to get more information.

Diana

Jenny has had conversation with the DAS office. They provided her with a form that they said needs to be completed by the father. They said it needs an Apostillar stamp. Never did they mention that Jenny and the father need to meet together at an office in Colombia, as this is impossible. Jenny and the father of her son were never married. The father (dead beat dad) abandoned the son when he was a baby, has offered no support over the years. The father somehow managed to get into the US and is living in Florida illegally. Obviously he will not travel to Colombia to meet at a notary office. He has agreed to have the permission form completed at the Colombian embassy in Miami and have it mailed to Jenny.

The last 2 replies have me in a panic. I can only hope they are wrong about both parents having to meet.

Thanks for the info

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Marriage :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Jenny has had conversation with the DAS office. They provided her with a form that they said needs to be completed by the father. They said it needs an Apostillar stamp. Never did they mention that Jenny and the father need to meet together at an office in Colombia, as this is impossible. Jenny and the father of her son were never married. The father (dead beat dad) abandoned the son when he was a baby, has offered no support over the years. The father somehow managed to get into the US and is living in Florida illegally. Obviously he will not travel to Colombia to meet at a notary office. He has agreed to have the permission form completed at the Colombian embassy in Miami and have it mailed to Jenny.

The last 2 replies have me in a panic. I can only hope they are wrong about both parents having to meet.

Thanks for the info

That makes more sense. The reason the DAS said he needs an apostille is because he lives outside of Colombia. So, all he needs to do is go to the nearest Colombian Consulate and have this form notarized, no need for the apostille because it will have the Colombian notary seal. If he were to have it notarized with a regular US notary, he would've needed the apostille to make it valid in Colombia.

So you're fine as long as he gets it done in a Colombian Consulate here in the US. Also, make sure it is fairly recent or the DAS officer at the airport won't let the child leave the country. And remember that he will need to do this every time the child needs to leave Colombia until he turns 18.

Here is more information found in the Colombian Consulate in Miami:

http://consuladodecolombia.com/preguntas.htm#5

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

That makes more sense. The reason the DAS said he needs an apostille is because he lives outside of Colombia. So, all he needs to do is go to the nearest Colombian Consulate and have this form notarized, no need for the apostille because it will have the Colombian notary seal. If he were to have it notarized with a regular US notary, he would've needed the apostille to make it valid in Colombia.

So you're fine as long as he gets it done in a Colombian Consulate here in the US. Also, make sure it is fairly recent or the DAS officer at the airport won't let the child leave the country. And remember that he will need to do this every time the child needs to leave Colombia until he turns 18.

Here is more information found in the Colombian Consulate in Miami:

http://consuladodecolombia.com/preguntas.htm#5

Diana

Thanks for the info. The father has an appointment today at the Colombian Consolate in Miami. I had suggested he mail the forms to me in the states, but he will not. I now can only wait for him to mail everything to Colombia, hope he did everything correctly and hope it dosent get lost in the mail. I guess I'll know in a few days.

Thanks again

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Marriage :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Danny,

I'm sorry to get you anxious...I tried to edit my initial reply, as I'm unclear how it works when the parent is in the United States already. I was only speaking about my experience when both parents are in Colombia. I'm sure the embassy in Miami has given you the correct information. And I'm confident everything will work out for you and your soon to be wife. Getting the father to sign is pretty important...but everything will work out. I'll keep you and Jenny in my prayers.

Galen

Edited by galenjr

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.