Dogwood_Poet

International ATM fees through the roof!

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed the banks are going crazy with ATM fees? My wife has been in the Philippines the past couple of months helping her family as her father was diagnosed with lung cancer and helping her mom after he passed away.

But she says most ATM's say there is either a 200 or 250 charge for each withdrawal, then our bank adds ANOTHER $2.50 on top of that! She tries to wait until she needs to make a large withdrawal so it doesn't hurt so bad.

Any ideas for the best way to transfer money? We have a PayPal account that doesn't charge for withdrawals, but you have to plan in advance to make sure the money is there. It is convenient to just transfer as she needs money. We use a separate account for travel so we can feel safer about using our cards overseas.

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: Country:
Timeline

State Farm bank doesn't charge for using any ATM and they will also refund any ATM fees charged by the ATM Owner at the end of your monthly billing cycle.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

State Farm bank doesn't charge for using any ATM and they will also refund any ATM fees charged by the ATM Owner at the end of your monthly billing cycle.

Good info. I did not know that about state farm bank. Thanks

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Hello..if you can, try to use XOOM,..that's the same problem my sister faced when she went home to philippines last year..she just let her husband send money transfer through XOOM from US to Phil...you send her money and she can receive it...or you send money and send it to the name of her mom as the receiver...it's easy and fast, after few minutes she can already pick up the money..God bless!!

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2009-23-09 -became a couple(was so happy:)

2010-21-03 -visited Philippines(spent wonderful times together)

2010=27-03 -engaged(Yes!!)

2010-09-04 -went back to US :(

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

2010-04-05 -Received NOA1

2010-12-07 -NOA2 approved

2010-18-07 -Received NOA2 hardcopy

2010-26-07 -US Embassy(Manila) received our petition!!..(yahoo!!)

2010-04-08 -HAPPY BDAY MATT!!

2010-18-08 -Medical Exam-PASSED!!..God is so good!!

2010-26-08 -Interview @ USEmbassy- APPROVED( Thank you Lord!)

2010-03-09 -Got my Visa in Hand!!..Yepey..Thank God!!..

2010-17-09 -POE:SFO,CA

2010-23-10 -Wedding @ Springfield, MO

* AOS Journey

2010-07-12 -Filed for AOS & EAD(USPS Express Mail)

2010-08-12 -USCIS received the package

2010-14-12 -Received text & email from USCIS that they accepted our AOS & EAD Application..HAPPY BDAY MARIA!!

2010-20-12 -Got our NOA1 letters in the mail for our I-485 & I-765...A wonderful Christmas gift for us!!

2011-19-01 -Received Biometrics schedule!!

2011-07-02 -Biometrics done!!..thanked God!!

2011-17-03 -AOS Interview..APPROVED!!

2011-24-03 -GREENCARD received!!..it's green indeed!!..lol..

Timeline

Has anyone else noticed the banks are going crazy with ATM fees? My wife has been in the Philippines the past couple of months helping her family as her father was diagnosed with lung cancer and helping her mom after he passed away.

But she says most ATM's say there is either a 200 or 250 charge for each withdrawal, then our bank adds ANOTHER $2.50 on top of that! She tries to wait until she needs to make a large withdrawal so it doesn't hurt so bad.

Any ideas for the best way to transfer money? We have a PayPal account that doesn't charge for withdrawals, but you have to plan in advance to make sure the money is there. It is convenient to just transfer as she needs money. We use a separate account for travel so we can feel safer about using our cards overseas.

I experienced the 200php charge this past January and I was not pleased.

I wonder if it makes sense to setup an account at a local (Philippines) bank and transfer money into the account as needed from a US bank. I've looked into it a little, but have never actually done it. Wells Fargo bank seems to have some kind of money transfer plan Wells Fargo Remittance (but I'm not a huge fan of Wells Fargo). Xoom sounds like a good option too. I've seen some good and bad reviews on it. It might be good to try a small amount to test it out and see how the process works. I've only ever done Western Union, which works really well but I think they really screw you on the fees and exchange rate.

We do use Xoom from time to time to send money to her family, but again the fees makes the ATM a little cheaper.

Oh well, we will look into setting up a bank account in the Philippines and try and find a simple, inexpensive way to transfer for future use and for her family as well.

I will say this, I have done the math and the exchange rate is pretty close to market rates with the ATM.

(Better than Xoom)

Edited by Dogwood_Poet

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

If someone has a BPI account, the charge is only $2.50 if you send it through WellsFargo. $2.50 for any amount. State Farm bank is nice but we haven't tried it though.

You use State Farm for sending purposes only? You still have another bank account, right?

A man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. – Genesis 2:24

Yeah I know it sucks. They changed the ATM fees when I was there in Feb last year. They also have a per transaction cap on the ATMs. My wife just tells her family to take all their allowance in one transaction so it doesnt end up costing like western union does.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

I make online transfers through my account with Wells Fargo. It is a $3.50 fee on the sender end and nothing on the receiver end. I have sent up to 5k that way without any issues.

I send it to her name at BPI bank anywhere in the philippines.

Met My Soul Mate Rina in Korea on November 30, 2008.

1st TRIP to PI on June 14, 2009.

Spent a week at Bluewater Resort in Cebu - Ecellent time- Highly Recommended

2nd TRIP to PI on Oct 2009.

Started first attempt at annulment - scammed by bad Attorney Carillo (my opinion)

Spent time at Flushing Meadows - Not as advertized in Bahol

Spent time at Waterfront down town Cebu - To Expensive and To upper class for this country boy but we had fun.

3rd TRIP to PI to see my Baby Ko again in Dec 2009.

Spent time in Manila and then Iligan.

Jan 2010 - Discovered annulment papers were fraudelent.

Hired another attorney from Davo- thanks to this site. Dimples Dulay - Great, awesome, Highly Recommended

4th TRIP to PI In April 2010

Filed more papers for annulement - Progressing well

Have the next Trip planned for August 2010 - Fingers crossed

Annulment Complete - May 2010

K1 Process Changed - June 2010 - trying to find out what changed.

5th TRIP to PI in August 2010.

Filed packet with USCIS - August 2010.

NOA1 Received Sept 12, 2010

Touched - Oct 3, 2010

6th TRIP to PI again December 2010.

7th TRIP to PI again May 2011

RFE - April 1, 2011 - Proof of divorce from X wife

RFE Response mailed - April 4, 2011

RFE Acknowledged by USCIS - April 25, 2011 - RFE review status

NOA 2 - April 26, 2011

NVC - April 26 In, April 29 Fwd Manila.

8th Trip to PI to see my Mahal Ko - May 12

Physical - June 7

Interview - June 15 - Good Interview - on hold awaiting documentation - NBI married name.

July 26 - Visa Approved

- August 7 possible plane ticket

- August 13 Wedding Dallas Texas

Can you get travel money cards in the US? The UK versions you load the money you need (or transfer onto while overseas) onto the card and then the card doesn't charge fees or refunds them and it doesn't charge conversion fees either. You might look into that. That is the most fee-free way I can think of using a card abroad.

I experienced the 200php charge this past January and I was not pleased.

I wonder if it makes sense to setup an account at a local (Philippines) bank and transfer money into the account as needed from a US bank. I've looked into it a little, but have never actually done it. Wells Fargo bank seems to have some kind of money transfer plan Wells Fargo Remittance (but I'm not a huge fan of Wells Fargo). Xoom sounds like a good option too. I've seen some good and bad reviews on it. It might be good to try a small amount to test it out and see how the process works. I've only ever done Western Union, which works really well but I think they really screw you on the fees and exchange rate.

Most Western Union nowadays gives you an option if you want to receive your money in dollar. I usually ask for a dollar payout and go to a trusted money changer to exchange it to peso.

Can you get travel money cards in the US? The UK versions you load the money you need (or transfer onto while overseas) onto the card and then the card doesn't charge fees or refunds them and it doesn't charge conversion fees either. You might look into that. That is the most fee-free way I can think of using a card abroad.

I think the ATM fee will still apply, since it is charged by the ATM owner, the fees are for any card not issued by the ATM owner.

Edited by Dogwood_Poet

_________

George Bernard Shaw

Timeline

Bank of America bites. The first time i sent money I made a bank transfer. I sent like $200 and the fees for this transfer were $45. I quickly switched to western union.

As for ATM's, B of A charges a flat rate of $5 + 1% for all atm withdrawals. It's absurd.

I'll look into other banking options. State Farm sounds interesting, but I didn't realize they also did banking. Perhaps the best thing is just to bring cash and exchange it at some place there? I can't believe we taxpayers bailed out those banks. I wish we would have let them go under. Seriously. I've no safety net other than the unemployment I've had to earn myself.

I think opening up an account in Phil is not a bad idea, maybe... Or just ya, bring cash and stow it away James Bond-ishly in an ####### capsule.

Has anyone else tried a CIRRUS ATM card? I was only charged a dollar for each transaction with mine.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.