CdnBelle

Really confused????

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My name is Sarah and I'm 25 yo and I live in Canada, my significant other lives in Texas... how do we know what the best and easiest way for me to get to Texas is??? I tried to go to the US embassy here in my city to talk to someone about the different visa options but they won't see me in person until I pay an application fee, but I don't know what to apply for??? Would it be easier to file for the fiance visa or to try and get a work visa?? We both want me to be out there as soon as possible. If anyone has any advice on the best course of action for us please let me know.

Thanks so much,

Sarah

Is ready for this journey to begin!

event.png

Service Center : Vermont Reminder letter for I-751 Received: 2015-04-09
Consulate : Vancouver, BC ROC packet sent to California Service Center: 2015-05-27
I-129F Sent : 2011-10-27 ROC packet received by USCIS: 2015-05-29
I-129F Received : 2010-11-01 1-751 NOA received: 2015-06-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-02-02 APPROVED!!!! I-751 Biometrics: 2015-08-25
NOA2 Hard Copy : 2012-02-07 I-751 Interview? or approval?
NOA2 Received 2012-02-15
Packet 3 : 2012-02-15 Received!!!
Packet 4 : 2012-03-17 Received!!!
Interview: 2012-04-19 - APPROVED!!!!
Visa On Hand :2012-04-21
POE: 2012-05-03 Toronto, ON, Canada

MARRIED <3 - 2012-06-07

I-485 &I-765: 2012-08-02

I-485- Interview: 2013-08-02 - APPROVED!!

Green Card in Hand: 2013-08-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The fastest way is a fiance or spouse visa (work visas take a very long time!). Both of these options could take between 8mo-1yr (give or take for "issues").

Take some time to read through the VJ Guides - they are a great source for information!

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

maybe you can start with this: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

0041ss.jpg

event.png

K1 Visa
Nov 16, 2010 - I 129f sent
May 25, 2010 - NOA 2
June 6, 2011 - NVC received our petition
June 7, 2011 - case number assigned, petition sent to US consulate in Bucharest
June 27, 2011 - interview - approved
June 30, 2011 - POE Boston
August 14, 2011 - married

AOS journey
September 30, 2011 - filled for AOS and EAD
October 4, 2011 - NOA1
October 26, 2011 - Biometrics
October 26, 2011 - Case moved to CSC
November 23, 2011 -Email from USCIS - card production
November 28, 2011 - Email from USCIS - I485 approved!!!
November 29, 2011 - Welcome letter in the mail
December 5, 2011 - Green card in the mail - date issued 11/16/2011

Lifting Conditions

September 17, 2013 - Sent application

September 20, 2013 - NOA1

October 11, 2013 - Case moved to CSC

October 18, 2013 - Biometrics

January 3, 2014 - Approved

Entirely up to you, of course.

Read this: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

The main differences from what I've seen are that the K-1 seems to have a "possible approval" a bit "faster" than the IR-1/CR-1, but not by much. IR-1/CR-1 requires that you already be married to be eligible - but gives you the benefit of "instantly" having a green card when you enter the US, and not needing to adjust status after getting married (because you're already married). That might not seem like alot, but adjusting status can be a run around and can take several months + another interview after arriving in the US. Not fun.

If my fiancee and I could turn back the clock, we would have married in her home country and we would have filed IR-1/CR-1. C'est la vie.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One difference between the Cr-1 and K-1 that matters to a lot of people, but isn't really emphasized in that compare link that has been posted [but probably should be], is this: With a K-1, you are forced to be separated (except for occasional visits) for 8-9 months prior to the wedding, but once you get married, you can stay together.

With a CR-1, OTOH, you get married at the beginning of the process, and then have to be separated for 10-12 months. Occasional visits are still possible, but more difficult, because the CBP officers are more likely to assume someone with a USC spouse [as opposed to merely a fiance] has intent to immigrate. Many people find being separated from their spouse to be a much more distasteful prospect than merely being forced to wait to marry. I know we [my wife and I] did.

Of course all of this is moot if you two don't feel you're ready for marriage yet. In which case the best bet would be a TN visa [assuming you have appropriate education and can find an American employer], an H employment visa [significantly more difficult] or a student visa.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its hard, I remember being in the spot you are and wanting to get through things quick and then finding out the real timelines involved. I felt sick.

We chose to go the K-1 route. Its been hard and its a slow process with alot of wait time but worth it in the end.

You're very fortunate since you live in Canada like I do simply because you can visit your partner the same as me.

Alot of people on this forum are with people that live very far away overseas and visits are not so possible. I try to find the bright side of things.

Read the guides on the site, they have been invaluable to me. Make your decision and file asap as it gets the clock ticking on your wait.

The wait time gives you time to prepare for everything, and take advantage of it. I personally am working as much as I can trying to save money for the period when I first get to california when I can't work.

Where in Canada do you live? I'm in Toronto and being that its the biggest city in Canada I assumed that I would go through the Consulate here when it came time for my interview, I was wrong. Immigration cases are processed through Vancouver and Montreal in Canada, so where you live dictates which consulate your case will eventually go through. I have Montreal which is the slower of the two of course lol.

The process seems overwhelming and confusing of course but I just kept on reading and reading and it all began to make sense. The community on here is great and people really try to help. Please ask away.

Also there is a regional forum for Canada if you scroll down farther which is great. There you can ask Canada specific questions.

Good Luck!

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.