The Sarge

K1 Interview relocation

18 posts in this topic

In Jordan and as an Arab girl, the "wedding" status is only announced after the wedding party, and the "engaged" status is confirmed not by verbal proposal like it's done in the US between Americans but through signing a mutual contract of our bond, which is considered an engagement. My concern is that if we go ahead with the K1, is the American Government going to consider us married while the Jordanian one considers us engaged? It's done differently here and there so I really don't know what the correct visa is.

So, are you saying you are already engaged? Have you already signed the contract? When is your wedding party scheduled? April? Does the party have to be completed or is that your wish to have it completed in Jordan?

The problem is (as many have already stated), if you complete this wedding party the embassy/consulate will ask you that at time of her K-1 interview. If you say it has been completed, they will know that you have a recognized marriage in Jordan and will tell you to file the CR-1. The CR-1 can NOT be filed until you have had your wedding. Regardless of the different custom, it's how the ceremony will be viewed by your consulate/embassy that matters.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding when you will be married versus when you are saying you will be engaged. You said in your original post taht you were getting married. Now you're talking about a wedding party but being engaged. Which is it?

Be Sober, Be Vigilant!

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

We are having the wedding party in April we are engaged. I am not try to "jack" the system I am trying to get the person I love here with me in the US in a legal manner. Dont sit there and accuse me of trying to defraud the system due to lacking the knowledge that you have. We started off filing what we thought was right apparently we erred. With that said it seems our best bet is just to file the CR1 and wait it out. CBP told me this morning they do not recommend traveling while waiting on a CR1 not sure what to make of that. I know this is the K1 forum but in the cr1 guide it lists this:

Note: Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bonifide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

How am I supposed to supply any of this when I can even get her here in the US to establish any of it?

We are having the wedding party in April we are engaged. I am not try to "jack" the system I am trying to get the person I love here with me in the US in a legal manner. Dont sit there and accuse me of trying to defraud the system due to lacking the knowledge that you have. We started off filing what we thought was right apparently we erred. With that said it seems our best bet is just to file the CR1 and wait it out. CBP told me this morning they do not recommend traveling while waiting on a CR1 not sure what to make of that. I know this is the K1 forum but in the cr1 guide it lists this:

How am I supposed to supply any of this when I can even get her here in the US to establish any of it?

All of this "knowledge" they you say you don't have is easily accessible on this website. Your profile says you registered in January, which is presumably enough time to read over all of the applicable guides, etc. No one is telling you anything new. You cannot be married and get a K-1 fiance visa because it is for a fiance (the name itself gives it away). If you have to be married in April you might as well cancel the K-1 right now, get married and then file for CR-1 which will take many months to approve. In my opinion if you have already started the K-1 why waste your time and money by getting married early and not being able to use it. Wait to get the K-1 have your fiance come to the US and get married.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.