teh Jai

Documentation for DS-156K

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all:

So I'm completing the forms for Packet 3 as per the instructions for Montreal consulate.

One of these is the DS-156K form, which states that I MUST attach birth certificates, police record checks, etc to the form. However, the consulate AND my immigration lawyer have said that these documents are only required to be in my hand at the time of the interview.

Anyone got any ideas?

27 April 2010 - decided to get married

May 2010 - Immi Lawyer Contacted

9 Jul 2010 - I-129F filed

21 Jul 2010 - Petition Received

26 Jul 2010 - NOA1 Received

Late Jul 2010 - Touch

03 Oct 2010 - Touch

05 Jan 2011 - NOA2 (Approved)

11 Jan 2011 - NVC Case Number Generated

21 Jan 2011 - Packet 3 Received by Lawyer; petition now at Consulate

11 Feb 2011 - Received Scans of Packet 3 Checklist from Immi Lawyer

01 Jun 2011 - Appointment Letter, Booked 9 Sep 2011

31 Aug 2011 - Medical in Toronto, passed

09 Sep 2011 - Interview, Visa Approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moving to Canada forum. Procedures vary by consulate, some want everything mailed in prior to interview, others want papers dropped of a day or so prior to interview, still others want documents brought to interview.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You bring them with you. Do not attach them to anything.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Inky you state bring them with you, however: on my DS-156K form it very specifically states:

"the following documents must be attached in order to apply for fiance non-immigrant visa" Your birth certificate, death certificate of spouse (if any), marriage cert (if any) divorce decree (if any) police certificates, evidence of engagement, evidence of financial support/

so confused with this pkt3 process, processed and completed all the requested forms, but this part is confusing...do I attach the requested forms or no????:wacko:

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Timeline

I attached none of the forms even though the DS156k says "please attach". Packet 4 was sent to me without my submitting any birth certificate, police check, I134 (with evidence), or further evidence of our relationship.

If it makes you feel better, attach copies, bring originals to the interview. It doesn't seem to matter to the consulate either way.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Timeline

I attached none of the forms even though the DS156k says "please attach". Packet 4 was sent to me without my submitting any birth certificate, police check, I134 (with evidence), or further evidence of our relationship.

If it makes you feel better, attach copies, bring originals to the interview. It doesn't seem to matter to the consulate either way.

Hello Imapatricias,

I see you have your interview soon, April 13, how exciting, I want to wish you all the luck with it, I have been reading the reviews of the consular interviews and it seems that it is very enouraging..I hope you get the "nice blond lady" everyone seems to like...:-), all the best with it. You are one lucky one!!!, it seems they are processing you really quickly even though you mentioned you have forgotten to include certain items, how nice!!! I might not be so lucky if I don't submit the copies..you just never know.

One other thing: did you have to physically go to your DHL branch to submit the forms/envelope to the consulate, and provide them the ref I.D number on the DHL instruction Sheet?

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Timeline

Well, I didn't "forget" to attach the paperwork - I followed the advice of the Canadian members who have gone before me and filled out the checklist to say "these forms will accompany me to the interview". Really, the Consulate in Montreal doesn't mind if you don't include the "attachments" as long as you submit the application forms (all the ones that start with DS-XXX) and bring the rest of the documents to the interview.

Also, I didn't get Packet 3 until after I submitted my Packet 3 paperwork - I followed the advice of JeannieL, Coconuts, and Canadiana013 and submitted my stuff (without the official attachments) with XpressPost (tracked) to the place d'Youville address. It was only after I got Packet 3 that I found out about using DHL to submit my Packet 3 paperwork.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'm one of the lucky ones - I called the DOS nearly every day in March and was on the interview appointment website every half hour looking for earlier available dates, and now it could all be for nothing if the US doesn't get their budget in place today and this government shutdown happens.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Timeline

I have been so busy with this Pkt 3 processing that I didn't hear about this budget issue, hmmm well praying this wont effect you and me and all of us. I had no idea you had to go through what you had to go thru inorder to get the appointment, sorry about that. Ok I will send off the package, without the attachments..(:unsure: ) I just need to verify how the heck to do it via DHL..Thanks again for your help, and all the best with the interview, let me know what happens with that..cheers for now, keep positive.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.