Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Some help please? (EAD, AOS, and Green Card Related)

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I currently have an EAD card (from being an F-1 student with OPT) and am working, which expires on May 26th of this year. Me and my fiance(US Citizen) will marry next week. My question is, what forms do I have to fill out to adjust my status. I know the I-485 is a must. But what about the I-130 form and do I need to fill another I-765 form to possibly renew my EAD card for another year? What is the best way to go about this? I'm just afraid that I won't be able to get a new work permit or EAD card before my current one expires. How long does the I-485 take to process? Do I get a work permit once it's processed or? Any suggestions?

I am also curious about the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) form. What is the income/salary that the USCIS is looking for as far as being able to support oneself?

Edited by mystickal

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

This not a family based AOS as in AOS from a K-1 fiancee visa. Moving this to AOS from Work/STUDENT/Tourist visa forum...

You need to base AOS on something that allows adjustment from, so yes an I-130 and fee is needed.

I would file an I-765 for AOS based EAD.

Also file an I-131 for an AP doc, a valid F-1 visa will not protect a pending AOS application form being cancled if you trafel without an AP doc.


OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to file the I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, which your USC spouse fills out, the I-485 which you fill out, I-131 for advance parole which gives you permission to travel and return to the U.S. while your GC application is being reviewed, and I-765 form to renew your EAD.

Form what I have gathered from this forum, the average processing time for this whole process is currently around 4 months. EAD comes before GC, but how much before, I can't say (don't know if someone has experience on that..)

You should start gathering all the necessary supporting documents together now, so that once you guys are married and have your certificate you are all ready to file. Getting all the documents in order takes a while - I would start by getting an appointment with a civil surgeon for the medical exam that is required. Getting that done will prob take form 1 to 2 weeks. You will need your birth certificate, which you might need to get from your home country and that can also take some time.

The guides here are very good, as are the instructions for each specific form that you can find both here and on USCIS site. The income guidelines are also on USCIS site.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...