Veronik

Am I in trouble?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, well needless to say that I'm VERY agitated right now and need your assistance VJ members!

I've never immigrated before (obviously) and this process did not come with a hand book of what to do once you move to the US. I just read a post, and I was to call CRA to let them know I moved? I contacted the Qc government in late December or early January in regards to my driver's license. I had to write them a letter telling them my new adress, blah blah blah. I was also going to put a letter in my tax return (I do it the old fashion paper way), but you're supposed to call?

How bad is it that I haven't yet? Is this going to get me denied at my AOS interview in two weeks??? :crying::crying::crying:

Gosh, this process is so stressful, I'm so tired of finding new things to stress out about! I'm terrified now that I've made a terrible mistake and don't know what to do! :help:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, you're not in trouble! What you did or did not say to the Canadian government when you left is not going to have an impact on your AOS application. That would imply both countries have a way to logically communicate, and we both know that doesn't really happen.

When I left, I contacted CRA only because I wanted them to stop sending GST checks. Do you think they listened? No, they just kept sending them to my US address. Three calls later they finally figured it out.

When I filled my Canadian tax return, I just indicated the date I left the country, no letter or statement, and I don't think it was a problem. At least, I haven't received anything indicating that was a problem!

Other than that, I did not call anyone or do anything. I let my DL and Ontario health card just expire. Nobody has come after me about anything.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you'll be fine :)

I haven't "told" Canada either. Service Canada pays me out of country EI, which they know. You don't need to tell the country you are leaving, you just can't try to claim that you still live there and it's benefits when you go back to visit while claiming benefits in the US. As far as I know when you POE it goes on some records. Who gets this record I don't know.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

I never told CRA save for the huge issue i had with thos idiots still sending me GST checks in Canada, they asked for my new address so they could mail me papers then started mailing the GST checks and pay back bills to my USA address. I hate thos people!

All you do is indicate you are filing your final "leaving Canada return" on your last canadian tax return by saying the date you left/became PR. thats it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

RELAX...BREATHE...BREATHE :)

Your American AOS interview is not going to be affected by CRA knowing (or not) that you've moved here...2 different governments girlfriend! You'll file your 2010 taxes, you'll tell them the day you left and that will be that. If you've been receiving GST or Child tax credit(if it applies to you) since you moved and are not entitled to them when not a Cdn resident, you will have to pay it back likely - it might take them a year to figure out (as in my case) but that's about it.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Gosh.... You guys have no idea how GOOD it feels to know I overreacted!!! :oops:

Thank you guys for being patient with my state of psychosis! I will definitely be calmer now (well, that's until I find something else to freak out about!)

Thanks again though :thumbs:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

The only thing my wife and I did to notify the Canadian gov that we've moved was to indicate it our my taxes the next year and formally cancel the provincial health insurance.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't remember if I told anyone. I don't even know what CRA and never even heard of it, so I would assume I never contacted them or anyone else about me moving. Think I just filed taxes still and that was it for that year. Been so long I can't remember, but I don't recall ever calling anyone up to say I'm no longer going to be in Canada ever again...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Ok, well needless to say that I'm VERY agitated right now and need your assistance VJ members!

I've never immigrated before (obviously) and this process did not come with a hand book of what to do once you move to the US. I just read a post, and I was to call CRA to let them know I moved? I contacted the Qc government in late December or early January in regards to my driver's license. I had to write them a letter telling them my new adress, blah blah blah. I was also going to put a letter in my tax return (I do it the old fashion paper way), but you're supposed to call?

How bad is it that I haven't yet? Is this going to get me denied at my AOS interview in two weeks??? :crying::crying::crying:

Gosh, this process is so stressful, I'm so tired of finding new things to stress out about! I'm terrified now that I've made a terrible mistake and don't know what to do! :help:

I never said anything to anyone other than ontario to get refund for my 5 year licence i had just renewed. ohip is automatically cancelled, and i figured i'd be doing an exit return anyway. i've also heard your suposed to tell the CDN Gov't that when you get married as well. I never did that either lol.

course then again i'm pretty sure i wont go back to Canada unless my husband gets a job there or a transfer.

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.