Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Live By Faith

question about getting mom Perm Res to US

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan


My mother in law is visiting us here in US on a visitor visa. We need to file for her to get Permanent residence before she heads back. She has a multiple entry visitor visa.

I went to the USCIS site to download appropriate forms and got really confused so thought to visit my trusted visa journey and get the real answers.

Please let me know which form to apply, it seems that my wife (US citizen now), can apply for I-130 along with I-864 (affidavit of support) for her, and then my mother in law can apply for I-485 (adjustment of status) even if she is gone back.

I am really confused by this process, please advise.


"For with God nothing shall be impossible - Luke 1:37"

Details of older petition timelines are in "Our Story" section

May 28, 2009 - Filed N-400 application for Naturalization

June 08, 2009 - NOA 1 received in the mail dated June 01,2009

June 15, 2009 - Biometrics Appt Letter received for July 02, 2009

July 02, 2009 - Biometrics Done - awaiting interview letter

July 13, 2009 - Interview Letter Received for Sept 09, 2009

Sept 09, 2009 - Interview Passed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

Sept 17, 2009 - Oath Ceremony - COBO Hall Detroit, MI - Done, registered to vote + updated Social Security record

Sept 18, 2009 - Applied for US Passport

Oct 06, 2009 - New Social Security card received in the mail

Oct 08, 2009 - US Passport received in the mail

Oct 09, 2009 - Naturalization Certificate received in the mail

Oct 20, 2009 - Received Voter's Registration Card

Oct 20, 2009 - Our Visa Journey Completed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

What do you wish to do?

Adjust status, or apply for an immigrant visa?

Applying for immigrant visa involves only filing an I-130 for the IR-5 visa, heading home to get stuff in order, and then interviewing for the visa when the time comes, this gets green-card upon arrival and costs in the $900 neighborhood for fees.


OR adjust status, this involves filing I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131 together at same time to USCIS and not traveling until having AP doc in hand from the I-131 filing. (Fee $1500 or so when adding in the I-485 fee.)

Use http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents as a basis for the I-130 part and follow this guide for the rest http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...