bratsantom

update citizenship status with financial institutions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have been searching the forums for a while and cannot find any discussion about this (maybe I am just blind).

Well, when I opened joint bank accounts/mortgage whatever with my permanent resident wife, all the institutions wanted to know her status and have a copy of the green card. So, now that she is a citizen, should I be updating this with all the financial institutions (what a pain). It does in theory seem like a good idea so there is less potential for problems with the Patriot act and all. Does anyone have any more information about this or experience with it? It it a waste of effort?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not unless they offer a different benefit level to citizens vs residents.

It is advised to visit SSA and update status with them, SSA provides increased benefits to citizens vs residents.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Timeline

Never heard of that before. What difference would this make? Why are you concerned about the Patriot Act? I see it this way: when the FBI is kicking in your front door and confiscates all of the terrorist material and threatens to deport your wife once her 2-times-life with no chance of parole sentence has been served, you have plenty of time to update her status with those folks. Not that it would make a difference, as they would revoke her citizenship under such circumstances anyway.

However, if you ever apply for a new home loan, her new status will be beneficial.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Never heard of that before. What difference would this make? Why are you concerned about the Patriot Act? I see it this way: when the FBI is kicking in your front door and confiscates all of the terrorist material and threatens to deport your wife once her 2-times-life with no chance of parole sentence has been served, you have plenty of time to update her status with those folks. Not that it would make a difference, as they would revoke her citizenship under such circumstances anyway.

However, if you ever apply for a new home loan, her new status will be beneficial.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1694

Citizens can apply for SSI, most Non-Citizens cannot.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline

Well they never used to ask about citizenship status before the patriot ask thats why I am mentioning it. I am not sure what more the patriot act calls for beyond asking about citizenship status when opening the account. I am thinking that perhaps the government is much more nosy in regards to non citizen accounts. I don't know if they actively monitor them or what but this all comes down to not really trusting the government and not wanting them in my business. It seems no one else feels this way so maybe I am paranoid. -- It all really comes down to how surprised I was when they asked for the citizenship status since I have opened so many accounts without that question. It is just highly suspicious in my opinion... they are gathering more and more information and what do they do with it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.