lovekoto

Requirements for Marriage in Philippines

11 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

First and foremost, we are planning to get married here in PI. But I do not know how and where to start. I mean, I want everything to be fixed already before my fiance comes. We will be having a simple civil wedding. My question is: What is the first step to be done and what are the requirements for a Civil Wedding?

Secondly, my fiance is planning to live here in PI. So, after the marriage, I want to know about what process he must undergo so he could stay here. Do we still need to pay for his extension of visa? What are the requirements so he could stay here legally?

I am sorry for my questions. I hope, someone could help me on my queries. Thanks in advanced.

God is good all the time..

read this about marriage: http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Basically there isnt much you can do except get your CENOMAR before he gets there. The rest has to be done after he gets there. He has to do it in person. I would see if you guys can make an appointment (link on the page above)at the embassy for when he arrives to get the affidavit in leu of legal capacity of marriage. (YOU HAVE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR THIS NOW!) As far as the marriage license...talk to your local municiple hall. That is where you will apply and they will tell you how to do a civil wedding.

As far as him being able to stay longer...he will have to pay at the bureau of immigration in manila or I heard you can do it at the airport when you arrive, but I havent seen where. I just went to the bureau of immigration both times I visited. I stayed in manila for a couple of days anyway.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

@Scott and Mhay, thanks for the links. My fiance is planning to live here as much he wants. I mean, he has no plan to go back in states immediately. Let us say. he will here for one year. I do know if we have to pay monthly for the visa extension.

Well, my wife just got the baby to sleep after he got 8 immunizations today. He is having a hard time of it.

Anyway, we got married in the Philippines, and all we had to do with me there was basically go to the embassy to get that piece of paper saying I was free to marry. She and I also went the City Hall in Quezon City and she made ehr arrangements for us to be married. I was in country on the 3rd day and the 3rd day we also got married. But it took some work in advance.

First she got the marriage application, and got the appropriate signatures on her end once she completed her part. Then she mailed the original to me, and I had to do the following things, if I am not mistaken.

1. I had to get it notarized once I completed my part.

2. I had to take the application to the county clerk here who authenticated it.

3. I mailed it to the State Department for my state (not federal) in Nashville, since I was living in far northeast Tennessee at the time, and they signed off on it.

4. They mailed it back to me and I had to then send it to the Philippines Consulate in Washington, D.C. who did their part, then they sent it back to me again.

5. I sent the entire thingback to the Philippines, where she took it to City Hall again, all complete, where they posted it for the required time.

So when I got the the Philippines, we went to the US Embassy the 2nd day there, and I got that paper about free to marry. We went to City Hall that same day and my wife made the arrangements for the following day for someone to marry us.

We had to do it this way because I didnt have that much time to be in the Philippines because of cost and needing a visa if I stayed past 21 days or whatever the time limit was.

I returned to the USA a married man after 10 days including travel time there and back and a 4 or 5 day honeymoon with my bride ( a working holiday since she was a teacher and had to teach as well, with only maybe 3 of those 4 or 5 days spent overnight with me.

And now...we have a 7 month old baby boy who has been in the 75th percentile in weight, height and head circumference since birth... hehe. He now is 28 inches tall, 20 pounds, and 7 months old as of the 16th of February.

God bless you all,

Brian and Josephine in Tennessee

Go to our photo section to see our happy family

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@Scott and Mhay, thanks for the links. My fiance is planning to live here as much he wants. I mean, he has no plan to go back in states immediately. Let us say. he will here for one year. I do know if we have to pay monthly for the visa extension.

hello there!..

you will going to petition him and he Can apply for temporary resident visa at any local immigration or in manila, and it costs more or less 40k peso and valid for 1 year and if he plan to stay more he can apply for permanent resident... :)

heres the link for temporary and permannt res..

http://www.philippine-portal.com/visas/non-quota-temporary-resident-visa-13a.html

http://www.philippine-portal.com/visas/non-quota-permanent-resident-visa-13a.html

hope this will help!..

Edited by Kriseve_prot

We just got the marriage license from city hall, my affidavit in lieu of legal capacity of marriage from the embassy, her cenomar, waited our 10 days as required , then married in the judges chambers. Simple civil and we had the church wedding later. Best of luck with your marriage and future together!!!

Bob & Elsa

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Thank you very much for all your responses. I really appreciate your help.

I will be very excited if he got the ticket already.lol.

As of now, he is still searching for one way ticket. The cheapest he found was USD842.00.

Thank you very much. Right now, I need to get CENOMAR copy. Does it need to be new? I have CENOMAR but I got that copy last two years ago?

Maraming salamt po.

Edited by ilovedo

As of now, he is still searching for one way ticket. The cheapest he found was USD842.00.

Thank you very much. Right now, I need to get CENOMAR copy. Does it need to be new? I have CENOMAR but I got that copy last two years ago?

Maraming salamt po.

Goodluck te. i am happy for you, u will be reunited again to your future to be soon...

CRBA first baby
CHRISTIAN gave birth 2008
OCT 15,2010-- CHRISTIAN US PASSPORT/CRBA CERTIFICATe
JAN 20, 2011--CHRISTIAN PHIL PASSPORT
JUNE 03,2011-- CHRISTIAN SSN CARD
CRBA 2nd baby
CHARLES gave birth 2010
JAN 30th 2012-- CHARLES US PASSPORT AND CRBA CERTIFICATE.......
MAY-09- 2012-= CHARLES SSN CaRD

IR-1
OCT /13 / 2012 -- sent from I-130 via(express mail)

OCT /15 / 2012--- picked up delivery to uscis

OCT / 16/ 2012--noa1 no txt/ no email PD

OCT /17 /2012-- recieved notice from the mail.

DEC /17 / 2012--- APPROVED NOA2

DEC / 22 / 2012-- recieved Hardcopy of Noa2

JAN/ 05/ 2013-- Recieved our papers to NVC

feb 11 2013__ paid aos

april 15 2013-- paid iv bill

aug 29,2013-AOS AND IV PACKET recieved nvc sept 3 2013

sept 6 2013 sent via email ds260

sep 27 2013 2tNVC- got email checklist

NOV 16 2013 sent nvc checklist document fedex istimate friday will recieve to nvc

nov 25 2013--nvc review our docs. waiting for cc

dec 6 2013 -- nvc email got 2nd checklist but case complete.

dec 13 2013-- got P4

dec 19 and 20-- passed medical

JAN 2, 2014 INTERVIEW DATE

Maraming salamt po.

Yes get another CENOMAR. 2 years old is not good.

One other way to not go through the temporary visa thing you two could take a short trip in say thailand and if you guys arrive back together you can get a balikabayan visa...(one year automatic)...all you need is the marriage certificate when going through immigration. It's free...but of course the trip will cost. I dont know how long the temporary resident visa takes and I am sure he would have to keep good status in the meantime while waiting on approval. I'm sure you guys could go on a short trip for less than 40K Php.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maraming salamt po.

:)

you should get a latest cenomar... cenomar is valid only for 6 months..you should get a new 1...

Maraming salamt po.

Trip Advisor They have an option for one way flights and the price is inclusive of taxes and fees so it's super easy to compare. Best of luck!!!

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.