AmyWrites

Having my Russian boyfriend visit

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Soo... we're gonna apply now to (hopefully) visit my folks in December.

I was just wondering, would a letter I write saying he'll stay with me, I live in Moscow, it's just to visit my folks for two weeks, etc, help at all?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I was just wondering, would a letter I write saying he'll stay with me, I live in Moscow, it's just to visit my folks for two weeks, etc, help at all?

I think it can be helpful, especially cause you actually live in Moscow and will come back with him.

All I know that they don't really like fancy super official notarized letters. A simple letter might be really helpful.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My brother in law got a visa to come to the wedding. He doesn't own an apartment, has no wife or children, and has a job selling parrot food (literally). He does have a ####### car but it barely runs. He really didn't have much trouble at all. In the end, it all depends on what side of the bed they woke up on. As Gary pointed out, nothing really offers a guarantee of you returning. You can quit your job, sell property, transfer money, and send remittances to family. On the other hand, you might have nothing to speak of on paper but still go back.

One thing that will probably be significant but hasn't been brought up is travel history. If he has received and honored Schengen or past US visas, that will be huge.

My wife also got a tourist visa before we were married. She didn't say it was to visit me because it wasn't. She didn't have anything to speak of either other than travel history (both Schengen and past US visa).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sergey would like to have his girlfriend come with him when he is home for winter break this year in late January. I am kind of watching your progress and please let us know how it goes. His girlfriend is a student also with a full scholarship so we are hoping that would be enough evidence that she would return (???) Otherwise she wold not thave much to offer as "proof"

How long in advance did you have to make an appointment? The consulate says to apply for the visa about 30 days before planned travel but how far in advance do we need to plan to make an appointment?

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

How long in advance did you have to make an appointment? The consulate says to apply for the visa about 30 days before planned travel but how far in advance do we need to plan to make an appointment?

PONY EXPRESS (the mail service, that works with the Embassy) recommends to get all the paperwork ready and sent to the Embassy 1,5-2 months before the actual visit to the USA.

Average wait till the interview appointment can be looked up here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/wait_4638.html

It's pretty accurate and gets updated very often.

I've been working on my parents' visas, hopefully, they can fly to the States with me for the wedding, since we have the date and everything already set (I know, I know "don't plan till visa in hand", but it's impossible not to plan with my fiance, who likes everything being planned 5 years ahead :lol: ).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

but it's impossible not to plan with my fiance, who likes everything being planned 5 years ahead :lol: ).

Tell him that 5 year plan stuff never worked out well. :P

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So I'm going to write a letter saying we're just visiting my fam and will come back since I live in Moscow, his boss is writing a letter, he's going to show them his passport with visas for previous trips to other Schengen Area countries.... don't know what else to give them. A letter from his parents? A letter from the landlord? Bank statements?

He basically has double or triple the budget he needs for the trip, but I don't know how to "prove" that other than a bank statement.

Edited by AmyWrites

Timeline

A bank statement will work.

When he applies at PONY EXPRESS, they are going to give him a paper with some of the possible "proofs" listed on it.

Also, you might want to make a copy of your passport or something that proves your US Citizenship - it goes along with the invitation letter :yes:

Timeline

Wait you mean a copy of my passport with the letter I'm writing for him?

Yes.

They need it to prove that the person, who writes the letter is (or is going to be) in the US legally.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Got the documents ready, we're sending them to an agent who can hopefully arrange this entire thing more easily for us.

So I've worded my letter as:

To whom it concerns:

(His name) will be accompanying me, Amy M, on a holiday to visit my family in the US. As we both live in Moscow, the trip will be for only two weeks. I have enclosed/attached a copy of my passport to prove my US citizenship.

Regards,

Amy M

Meh, I don't want it to sound too "I'm a USC I DESERVE this" blah blah blah, does it come off that way?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.