mandiuk

visa interview dress up or casual?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hey guys

just wondering if you need to dress up for your visa interview?? I heard some say yes other no now am confused as im awaiting my interview date shouold be here any time soon.

thanks

mandi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

imple, nice and smart looking clothes could be the best way to boost your self confidence and make good impression on the interviewer. There are many styles odf dress and it is up to you to choose the impression you want to make. Rememeber, first impression have the most impact. Good luck and God bless!!!

AOS JOURNEY

2007-05-07 (PM) Married

2007-05-09 AOS package sent

2007-05-10 AOS delivered to Chicago IL (day 1)

2007-05-15 NOA (not rcved in the mail) (day 6)

2007-06-01 Biometrics Notice in the Mail (day 23)

2007-06-27 Biometrics (day 49)

2007-06-20 Interview Notice Issued (day 42)

2007-06-23 Interview Notice in the Mail (day 45)

2007-08-10 Interview 10:00 am Sn Francisco (day 93) Approved

2007-08-21 Greencard received

Removal of Condition

2009-06-19 - sent

2009-06-25 - received

2009-06-26 - cheque cash

2009-07-17 - notice date

2009-08-14 - Biomentrics

2009-09-08 - Approved

2009-09-08 - 09-15 Card production ordered (email)(day 82)

2009-09-17 - Approval notice sent (email)

2009-09-19 - 10 year greencard received (w/wrong information)

2009-09-21 - I-90 sent

2009-11-04 - Card Production Order

2009-11-09 - Approval Notice received

2009-11-10 - Touched

1009-11-14 - Replacement 10 years greencard received (55 days)from filing expired 11/09/2019

imple, nice and smart looking clothes could be the best way to boost your self confidence and make good impression on the interviewer. There are many styles odf dress and it is up to you to choose the impression you want to make. Rememeber, first impression have the most impact. Good luck and God bless!!!

I went in my best (very nice tie), shirt and trousers but a lot of other people were there in casual dress, though. I don't think it matters so much, but it proves to them that you made the effort if you dress up a bit.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We wore "smart casual" clothes. Hubby wore standard outfit of Levis and button down floral shirt. I wore skirt, boots, sweater. We saw all sorts at the interview though- from sort of smeggy jeans and t-shirts to suits and dresses. Wear what makes YOU comfortable and what you feel confident in. I'll never forget the couple next to us- he was British, she was American. He wore an ill- fitting suit, she had on horrendous high waisted jeans, a mickey mouse t-shirt, and an embroidered mickey mouse jean jacket. They were nervous as hell- he kept rubbing her back- she was practically in tears the whole wait. I saw them get called up and they bounced out with huge smiles on their faces- I inferred that as a successful visa interview. So all in all, I don't think clothing makes the couple, if you know what I mean.

See my timeline for all previous dates!

Naturalization:

6/28/09: Mail N-400 to Texas

7/6/09: NOA1

7/24/09: Biometrics

10/08/09: Interview

11/21/09: Receive oath date

01/22/10: Oath Date

With thanks to all the helpful people who made this journey slightly more bearable.

Paul had good condition jeans and a Burton's short sleeve shirt. nothing fancy. He was just fine! I don't think they will look down on you for casual unless it's dirty, heavily wrinkled, basically unkempt casual. I wouldn't roll out of bed and go but I wouldn't bust out that business power suit either. BE COMFORTABLE!!!

Good luck! :D

Edited by Joey559

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The USA ain't exactly the fashion capital of the World is it?? Although they have given the world the Baseball Cap... urghhh. And jeans?

I think jeans and a clean shirt will do you ya, perhaps a jacket and umberella.

I will be attending my interview!! in vintage 1960's Mod Clothes with an eye catching psychedelic shirt and crochet tie all from charity shops. But I'm kind of stylish like that.

UK-Royal-Standard-HM-Queen.gif

Down With The Monarchy

Filed: Timeline
I will be attending my interview!! in vintage 1960's Mod Clothes with an eye catching psychedelic shirt and crochet tie all from charity shops. But I'm kind of stylish like that.

that sounds HOTT. And I'm so not joking.

Why would anyone wear jeans to an interview, be it for a job and esp. for the GOVERNMENT?

Edited by devilette

that sounds HOTT. And I'm so not joking.

Why would anyone wear jeans to an interview, be it for a job and esp. for the GOVERNMENT?

Umm, because you walk up to a window just like at the bank and they spend a total of 2 minutes with you?

As for married couple interviews, I don't know, maybe that's a more indepth interview. But for Paul it was literally like going to the bank and waiting for your number to be called then stamp stamp...have a nice day.

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wore jeans because that's what I always wear.

I was the only applicant for the position of John's alien-bride-to-be so I didn't think anyone else would get the position instead of me because of being better dressed :D

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

I wore jeans because that's what I always wear.

I was the only applicant for the position of John's alien-bride-to-be so I didn't think anyone else would get the position instead of me because of being better dressed :D

LOL. "We've decided to go in another direction but we'll hang on to your file if another husband opportunity should come along..."

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

Good luck out there!

Wear whatever you feel most confident in.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
:lol:

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 7 Honeymoon

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Timeline

I actually feel most confident in jeans because it feels like 'me'. Dressing up makes me feel uncomfortable.

In spite of my 'confident' jeans look, however, I was very nervous and emotional when I had my interview and I actually cried through the whole 5 minutes. The nice woman behind the counter smiled and said, not to worry, a lot of people cry.

It really isn't anything like a job interview - they're not judging you on your dress, your intelligence, social skills, confidence or anything like that. You've already presented all the documentation and filled in the forms. They just want to see the originals, take a few things from you, have you sign a few things, swear to tell the truth (sobbing optional) and answer a couple of questions.

So just wear what makes you feel most comfortable and confident - you may be in for a long wait outside the Embassy (so I wouldn't wear heels!) and another long wait inside so bear that in mind when choosing.

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 7 Honeymoon

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.