Jina

I-131 - What did possibly go wrong?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I'm a permanent resident.

I applied for I-131 (reentry permit) and did my biometrics on January 13, 2011.

After biometrics, I left the U.S.

I checked my case status online today.

It indicates that my case is in the 'initial review' stage,

and a notice was returned because it was undeliverable.

I have no clue aboubt why the USCIS sent a notice to my old address (in the U.S.). What can the notice possibly be?

I already did my biometricss for I-131,

and requested my travel document to be delivered to the U.S. embassy of the country where I currently live.

** I called 1-800-375-5283 to update my mailing address in order to ask the returned notice to be re-sent.

I gave my mother-in-law's mailing address as my new mailing address.

Thank you for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you file an online change of address as well as phone it in? You need to do that.

You really should not have left while the AP case was pending, if they rejected your AP case you could be really stuck.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Did you file an online change of address as well as phone it in? You need to do that.

You really should not have left while the AP case was pending, if they rejected your AP case you could be really stuck.

OP states that she a permanent resident, which I'm assuming means he/she has a Green Card. As a GC holder, you do not need an AP to re-enter the country. They could fly back tomorrow and shouldn't have any problems coming back in the U.S. A re-entry permit is different.

As a GC holder, you can legally leave the country for up to a year without being denied re-entry. After a year, they will not let you enter without a re-entry permit. That is technically the law, but most people here on VJ do not recommend leaving for more than 6 months. This is because anything more than a couple of months raises red flags, (and any extended absence can be held against you when you remove conditions or apply for citizenship) and you may get questioned (or your GC revoked) when you want to re-enter the U.S. using your GC.

You haven't told us why you are living abroad, but unless you're taking care of a sick relative or something of that nature, then living out of the U.S. for a year or more (which I'm assuming is what you intend to do because you applied for a re-entry permit) is a problem. You must maintain residency while you are a permanent resident. They sent the notice to your U.S. address because that is your permanent address. You must keep a permanent address within the U.S. to meet the residency requirements to keep your Green Card.

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.