Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

residency, money issues filie for citizenship???

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

hey guys...questions... ok, im married 3 years to my wife. she has us perm residency. eligible to get citizenship based on marriage in spring 2012. i lost my job in usa, and moved to take a job teaching english in korea. my wife is visiting her family in her country. when we gave up our usa apartment, we changed our residency to my mothers house. my wife will be going home soon, under 6 months out of usa, and when there she will stay at my mothers home. i will return home in oct 2011. once there i plan to file for her citizenship. i have several things...a joing bank account, joint credit card, cell bill in both our names. im also going to get my car signed over into joint and we have a little piece of country peroperty that is jointly owned. and of course 3 years tax returns too, joint. i plan to prob return to korea for one last time asfter my wifes papers are done. my questions: 1. is living with my mother, my mother is a little older and i think me around and my wife would be good anyway, cause any problems filing??? we have old apartment lease from before, but as of now our residence is listed with my mother. will this cause any problems??? also....we never made a whole lot of money when we worked in the usa. i was a sub teacher and wife was a waitress. however, i will list on taxes any income from korea as "additional income". just making sure everything is okay. i dont wwant to screw her chances of getting citizenship up. and most of you know what a pain USCIS can be. anyway, let me know. thanks! any advice would be welcome. by way we are both in mid 20s, no kids yet.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot file for your wife's citizenship.

When doing AOS, the US citizen petitions for the foreigner.

When removing conditions, both the US citizen and the foreigner do it together.

When it's time to apply for citizenship, it's the foreigner alone and the US citizen is not part of the application anymore.

In regard to your concerns, at the N-400 stage the I.O. is more concerned about the applicant not having spent too much time outside the US than all of the co-mingling paperwork you submitted for ROC. So if your wife was out of the US for less than 6 months, you should be able to put your worries about taxes and income and your mother to rest. It's really not part of the big picture anymore. What the I.O. wants to see is your birth certificate (if natural born USC) or US passport, the marriage certificate, your wife's Green Card and passport, and her driver license. You also want to submit tax transcripts (much better than returns!) for 2010, 2009, and 2008 with the application when you mail it in. The I.O. will only briefly check if there are 3 jointly filed returns. He or she will not check your income as it doesn't matter for naturalization purposes.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...