Wis-Can

Filing Income Tax in Canada

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, its been a while! I have a tax question for all my fellow Canadians. This post will probably need to get moved but its been so long since I've been on here that I can't even remember where to go! LOL Anyways, I called Revenue Canada three times, two times I got different answers and the third time I got, "Someone will call you back",...and no one has. I moved in September of 2009, and filed a Canadian return in January 0f 2010. Now do I need to file this year? I had EI payments as well as my Workers Comp Pension payments. When I called the first time it was, no they already allott the income tax from your EI and Workers Comp is not taxable. I did work part-time here as well and reported all my income while on EI. He told me I did not need to file a return with them. I called again just to be sure and was told, NO NO NO you need to file as you had income. Now I am just totally confused about the whole thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This should be in the Canada regional section lol not the removal of conditions section.

CRA sucks big time! They are super confusing and each phone rep seems to give a different answer.

I don't know if you need to file Canadian if you have already filled your exit tax return. But you do need to claim your EI on your American return.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moving to Canada forum...

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Canada takes a 25% non-resident tax, you do not have to file.

However, if your total worldwide income would put you in a tax bracket less than the 25%, you can get a refund of the difference by filing a Section 217 return.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

25% nonresident tax is your FINAL tax obligation on your EI.

It sounds to me like you don't need to file in Canada.

Did you try calling H&R block?

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

• 2 weeks later...

They actually took 30% non-resident income tax off my UI cheques. I finally got a call back, and I do not need to file there. I took the name and number from the guy just in case it comes back to bit me in the butt at a later date. Thanks for all the help.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.