chantpleure

changing my name...

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

We got married in November '08 and I didn't change my name then as my passport (UK) was in my maiden name and I figured that seeing as my passport was up for renewal in 2011 and I'd be filing to remove conditions at the same time I would change my name then. Well, the deadline is coming up to both file to remove conditions and also renew my passport. I have zero idea how I change my name, does anyone have any idea who I need to talk to about this?

Thank you so much!

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since your from the UK (I'm Canadian) it may be slightly different but for me things were fairly easy.

I renewed in person and did a rush on it since I happened to be in Canada and brought the following items:

My marriage certificate

my old passport

birth certificate

Since i didn't have my new drivers license under my new name for CO, I brought along my old one with my maiden name.

I also brought along my green card which had my married name.

If you are mailing your stuff in for your new passport I'd be very careful you don't send anything in you may need if you get called into an interview.

Don't forget to change your other stuff to your new name (Drivers licenses, SIN card, health insurance, car insurance, house/renters insurance). Generally you'll need to show them your marriage license and a piece of ID with your new name.

First step is to study your state law...some states give you a deadline to change last name after marriage and you have to go through court system to do it once the allowed time is gone.

Let's say that you are within the grace time:

1. start with Social Security office, where you'll take in your green card, marriage licence, id =it will take 2-4 weeks to get your new SS. When you receive your new social with your new married name you can change your ID, then start calling all credit cards, mortgage, etc etc

Usually banks, mortgage and insurance companies will ask you to provide copies of SS# and letters of requests in order to update your name. Credit cards are solved with a call.

2. contact UK embassy or check their website for info on registering marriage/name change. Once you record your marriage in UK you can apply for a new passport

Good luck!

AOS file sent on 06/18/2008

NOA 1 06/27/2008

Bio Appt 07/25/2008

Interview 11/05/2008 APPROVED!

Card Production order 11/05/2008 and again on 11/10/2008

Touched 11/06/2008, 11/12/2008

Approval Notice Received 11/10/2008

GC Received in the mail 11/17/2008

152 DAYS

ROC sent 08/08/2010

NOA 1 08/11/2010

Bio Appt 09/02/2010

Touched 09/03/2010 1 day after bio..I wonder why?

Approval Notice Received 11/22/2010 dated 11/18/2010

GC Received in the mail 11/26/2010

109 DAYS

N-400 sent 06/19/2012

NOA 1 06/20/2012

Check Cashed in 06/25/2012

Bio Appt 07/09/2012

Message that I am in line for interview on 07/12/2012

Interview letter received 08/28/2012

Interview 10/03/2012 PASSED

I live in AZ and after a google search I can't find anything about a deadline to change my name but I also can't find any info on how to do it otherwise so I probably have to go through the court system.

I think maybe I should take advantage of the free legal advice on my campus.

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.