Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

j1 visa sponsor?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey, I have emailed some PR firms about internships in the US. I have had some positive responses, so now I'm looking for visa sponsors. Are there any recommendations? I'm from England and hoping to intern in Nebraska. I am thinking of a non-profit sponsor as I don't want to pay too much. The main concern I have at the moment is the issue of the costs for the employer- I don't think these companies are likely to have had J1 employees before and I am worried that they will back out if they have to pay anything, such as the $250 charge for the site visit that many sponsorship companies seem to charge. Are there any companies that don't charge this fee? I would even be willing to pay it myself if it meant getting an internship.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Some companies are familiar with having international interns, and won't have to pay the "visit fee". I would consider asking the companies you are interested in working with if they already had foreign interns, that would make things easier.

For my part, I received 2 J1 for internships: the first one where the company was the sponsor, so I didn't have to pay anything. It's fairly rare, but it exists! (and it was non-profit)

For the second one, I had to work with a sponsor and paid them to issue me the J1 + the insurance fees. They were based in Paris and were working with CIEE, which is one of the biggest agency for the J1s in the US. Check their website out.

Hope this helps,

Good luck

ps: Nebraska, really?? ^^

2007: Buenos Aires

2008: New York

2009: New York, Paris

03/12/2010: Came to Chicago under J1

09/14/2010: Got married!

09/16/2010: Sent AOS application, I-130, I-131 and I-765

09/24/2010: NOA1

09/27/2010: I-485 touched

11/18/2010: I-131 approved

11/19/2010: Biometrics

02/09/2011: Green Card interview

Mid Feb 2011: Green Card received!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I've had a look at that one but the 'seasonal worker' thing is confusing me. I want to stay for longer than 4 months, and won't go out until august because my graduation is at the end of July. I must admit I've been skeptical about the whole sponsor thing- just seems stupid to me that I have to pay a company loads of money so that i can get a job :|

and yeah...Nebraska probably wouldn't be my first choice but that's where my boyfriend lives!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used CIEE for my internship- I was approved for 12 months under the "recent graduate" category. The company I worked with did not pay any costs, I did. Also, I was the one who contacted them and offered to intern for free and you know they can't turn anything down with "free" attached to it,:rofl:


N400 (Citizenship Application):

Package sent: 02/17/2012

NOA Date: 02/21/2012

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...