JoshGriga

How does the expedite request work

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We got an approval notification of our I-129F by email on 8 Feb 2011 however we haven't receive any word from the NVC that they have our paperwork. According to VJ stats, the average time from approval to getting the visa is 114 days, which brings us to 2 June 2011. I am in the military and I am scheduled to deploy the first week of July. I would like to spend more than a month with my fiancee/wife before I leave. I was told by another VJ member that I can do two more expedite requests; one for the NVC stage and another for the Consulate (interview) stage.

1. When, how and to whom do I submit the expedite request for the NVC stage?

2. When, how and to whom do I submit the expedite request for the Consulate (interview) stage?

3. Do I give them the same letter from my commanding officer that I used to get the the first expedite request approved?

4. Or do I give them the that approved expedite request?

Hey Josh, Just wanted to share we filed an expedite request when we sent our i-129f packet and it was a letter from my fiance's captain stating that their unit was scheduled to mobilize for deployment soon. If you already have your deployment papers, you are better off just showing it to your consulate so that she can get the soonest interview date possible. Goodluck! :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Hey Josh, Just wanted to share we filed an expedite request when we sent our i-129f packet and it was a letter from my fiance's captain stating that their unit was scheduled to mobilize for deployment soon. If you already have your deployment papers, you are better off just showing it to your consulate so that she can get the soonest interview date possible. Goodluck! :)

Thanks, but the issue I am running into here is that I don't get my deployment papers until the leave and the reason behind that is because it is classified due to the nature of my job. So even if I got it earlier, I still couldn't show them. Did you do multiple expedite requests or did that one suffice for the entire process?

No I get it, there's no way for Tim to get his orders too, so we had no orders, just a letter from his captain, and thats all we needed. We only had 1 expedite request at the start of the application. :)

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

No I get it, there's no way for Tim to get his orders too, so we had no orders, just a letter from his captain, and thats all we needed. We only had 1 expedite request at the start of the application. :)

I took a look at your timeline and saw how the expedite request helped with the first stage of approval. But from that date to when you got your visa is about 5 months. I want to cut down that particular wait time for us and that's why I want to know if I can (or need to) submit another expedite request and if I so, how do I go about doing so!?

Thanks and congrats to you.

You need to call the NVC and find out who takes care of your consular area. I called like 4 times and asked about expediting our case before I got the right person to tell me who to send my expedite request to. You could possibly get a letter from your commander or supervisor stating that you are scheduled for deployment...I would just make sure it is on an offical letterhead.

The NVC stage to expedite is a little more involved than expediting at the USCIS....they actually ask for proof and want you to send a letter. It is a little stupid that the expedite doesnt carry on throughout the process...but once your expedite request is approved the NVC will send out the file within 48 hours. they never looked at anything that we sent them (I sent the IV package, AOS, and expedite request all at the same time....but they were in different packages)

Nevermind, I just noticed that this was for a K-1....the NVC wont hold on to your case very long.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

I took a look at your timeline and saw how the expedite request helped with the first stage of approval. But from that date to when you got your visa is about 5 months. I want to cut down that particular wait time for us and that's why I want to know if I can (or need to) submit another expedite request and if I so, how do I go about doing so!?

Thanks and congrats to you.

Yeah we waited 5 months intentionally. My interview was supposed to be September but we decided to wait till December so he could finish his training and attend it with me :) There was no point in doing it September because he was in Ranger School and if I went to the US that soon, I couldn't see him anyway and we might get in trouble with the 90-day thing.. I hope you guys will be able to expedite it! :D

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

You need to call the NVC and find out who takes care of your consular area. I called like 4 times and asked about expediting our case before I got the right person to tell me who to send my expedite request to. You could possibly get a letter from your commander or supervisor stating that you are scheduled for deployment...I would just make sure it is on an offical letterhead.

The NVC stage to expedite is a little more involved than expediting at the USCIS....they actually ask for proof and want you to send a letter. It is a little stupid that the expedite doesnt carry on throughout the process...but once your expedite request is approved the NVC will send out the file within 48 hours. they never looked at anything that we sent them (I sent the IV package, AOS, and expedite request all at the same time....but they were in different packages)

Nevermind, I just noticed that this was for a K-1....the NVC wont hold on to your case very long.

I already have such a letter from my commanding officer stating that I am scheduled to deploy. This was what I used to get USCIS to approve my expedite request for my I-129F. Do you think I can use this same letter with the NVC despite it specifically references my I-129F?

Thanks,

Timeline

Yeah we waited 5 months intentionally. My interview was supposed to be September but we decided to wait till December so he could finish his training and attend it with me :) There was no point in doing it September because he was in Ranger School and if I went to the US that soon, I couldn't see him anyway and we might get in trouble with the 90-day thing.. I hope you guys will be able to expedite it! :D

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I really hope we do get to expedite the remaining processing time because July is right around the corner!

Thanks again

I already have such a letter from my commanding officer stating that I am scheduled to deploy. This was what I used to get USCIS to approve my expedite request for my I-129F. Do you think I can use this same letter with the NVC despite it specifically references my I-129F?

Thanks,

You can use it again I'm sure.. :D Also show the same letter to the consulate so that you get the nearest interview date possible. Goodluck!!!

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

PS. We are probably using the same letter for AOS filing too :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

You can use it again I'm sure.. :D Also show the same letter to the consulate so that you get the nearest interview date possible. Goodluck!!!

Ok, but when do we this? Do we give it to them when we return packet 3?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.