sstrickland

TEFL

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm toying with the idea of teaching English in Peru and I think I would do well (though I have no formal teaching experience) but I've seen a lot of different info and schools on the internet and I could really use some direction. Do we have any English as a foreign language teachers here on visajourney, or anyone who knows about this that could give me a good overview and/or direct me to some quality references? I speak working level Spanish though I've heard that doesnt matter. Thanks!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I'm toying with the idea of teaching English in Peru and I think I would do well (though I have no formal teaching experience) but I've seen a lot of different info and schools on the internet and I could really use some direction. Do we have any English as a foreign language teachers here on visajourney, or anyone who knows about this that could give me a good overview and/or direct me to some quality references? I speak working level Spanish though I've heard that doesnt matter. Thanks!

I've been teaching English for the past 2 years in Vietnam. I figure I'll do this the rest of my life. :thumbs:

Have you been to Peru yet?

I have a good friend that is making about $90,000 a year teaching English in Afghanistan. I know he didn't speak the native language at all before he started.

Interesting. Is there a large demand for English teachers there?

Filed: Timeline

I've been teaching English for the past 2 years in Vietnam. I figure I'll do this the rest of my life. :thumbs:

Interesting. Is there a large demand for English teachers there?

Don't know. He has sent some interesting pictures, though. He gets along with everybody, but there are signs of the conflict everywhere. Here is a pic from Kabul:

bM86a.jpg

Timeline

I've been to Peru several times. My wife has a house and most of her family there in Lima. I guess my only concern is that I don't have a degree. Some sites say it's necessary, some say it isn't. I'm very fluent in English (native speaker) and read a lot, I'm just afraid a TEFL certificate and my fluency wont be enough. If I could be sure that it would be enough to qualify for a job teaching English, I'm ready to sign up now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Alla is currently enrolled in a MA-TESOL program (MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). She is doing her practicum II now (student teaching) and just yesterday applied for a teaching job with the school where she is doing her student teaching. She is acquainted with several other former students who are now teaching overseas and it is her goal to one day do this also (when she is a citizen next year and after our youngest son goes to college)

Being able to speak the native language of the country is not so important, in fact it can be a drawback. If you were a native Spanish speaker, for example, you would get the very low level students. The higher level students speak ONLY English in classes anyway. Alla's good friend is a native Russian speaker, who graduated the same program one year ahead of her and now teaches English in Turkey (Istanbul) She gets $40,000 + in salary, furnished apartment, health club membership for teaching 4 hours per day.

Most foreign schools want either native English speakers OR teachers educated in a native English speaking country. Alla is currently student-teaching ESL courses for people from many countries and only one speaks Russian. She does not speak Russian in class.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I've been to Peru several times. My wife has a house and most of her family there in Lima. I guess my only concern is that I don't have a degree. Some sites say it's necessary, some say it isn't. I'm very fluent in English (native speaker) and read a lot, I'm just afraid a TEFL certificate and my fluency wont be enough. If I could be sure that it would be enough to qualify for a job teaching English, I'm ready to sign up now.

A degree is not necessary in some countries. In Japan, Korea and most of the EU they are going to demand a degree. They pay the best and want the best. They also want native speakers, some countries in Europe will accept non-native speakers with degrees from native English speaking countries. Individual schools will vary, these are generalizations. The middle east, most of Asia, the FSU and South America are not so demanding (so we hear) but typically do not pay as much. Still, in most of those countries it is one of the better paying jobs available and most likely much better than you would get for teaching English in any school in the USA.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks everyone! But with all the companies I've seen online claiming to be internationally accreditted and 'the best there is', I dont know where to begin. I was reading about CELTA last night which to my understanding is the mother of all TEFL courses, and I live relatively close to where I could be taking courses, but they dont offer part time and I have to work full time. I just dont want to get myself an unrecognized certification that will do me no good.