Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

School and work while on K-1 Visa

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Colombia

Hello all, my wife is here on a K-1 visa and we will be adjusting her status shortly. How much time will it save (on average) if I get her a temporary work permit vs. wait until the K-1 is processed / status adjusted for her to work? Are you typically able to work as soon as your status is adjusted? Also, is there any documentation on attending college while adjusting your status on a K-1 visa? Thanks,


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

When adjusting status simply attach an I-765 to the I-485 this will get an EAD card allowing work, once status is adjusted the result is a GREEN-CARD, this allows work and travel, at which point the EAD is no longer needed to work.

EAD can take 3-4 months, AOS can take 4-5 months typically.

Cannot take a job until having EAD or Green-card.

Depends on college what they accept as legal presence, you will have to ask the admissions office at the college. Note: if a state funded college, K-1 holder may be considered to be NON-Resident and be charged NON-Resident rates.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...