LoveinPeru

Buying round trip flight

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi all,

In a surge of planning stupidly ahead (since I don't even have NOA2 yet), I decided to take a look at ticket prices for around the time that I *hope* my fiance will be coming to the US.

I have a couple of questions about this:

1) One of the cheapest flights has a layover in Mexico. From Peru, you need a visa to visit Mexico (and I know in Mexico EVERYONE has to go through immigration, even if its just a layover). So my question is, if he is just laying over and has his visa to the US, will they still require him to have a visa to Mexico just for the layover?

2) Another airline has a flights straight to san francisco from Lima. However, a one way flight with them costs $1500, where as a roundtrip flight costs $700 (total!). If he gets a round trip ticket and just informs the airline once he's here that he won't be using his return ticket, will that hurt his visa (like, will they see that he has a return ticket at immigration and think he's trying to do some kind of fraud?)

Thanks!

9/24- I-129F received by CSC

9/27 NOA1 received in mail

9/28- Check Cashed

10/1- touched

2/23- RFE email

2/28- RFE hardcopy

3/7- NOA2!!!!!

3/28- Interview! APPROVED!

4/7 - Jimmy arrives in the USA!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I remember seeing a thread about this a few months ago and many people opt for a return ticket simply because it is much cheaper!

The trouble at least one person encountered is that they forgot to cancel the return flight and several months later were rejected at some later step because according to flight records, they "had left the country"! In fact, the airline had sold their seat to someone else but had not changed the seat assignment record, so this poster was actually on file as having been on the flight though he (or she?) was not there. The suggestions from everyone in that thread were to book the return flight as far in advance as you can (6 months?), cancel the return portion promptly, and print confirmation of the cancellation should something like that come up with you.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In answer to 2, buying a round trip ticket is perfectly fine, and will not create any negative impression with immigration at all. You've probably already read here why it's important to cancel the return leg once he's here, and as long he does that, a return ticket is perfectly fine.

In answer to 1, many countries require "transit visas" for people of certain nationalities switching planes, even if they never leave the airport. Mexico may very well be once of these.

According to this: http://www.skyteam.com/about/travelhelp/travelinfo.html

Peruvians transiting through Mexico to the Us do not need transit visas if they are

departing from the same airport within 24 hours, by the same or the first connecting flight, without further intermediate landings in Mexican territory, and provided holding confirmed onward tickets and other documents for their next destination. Leaving the airport is not allowed. Stay in transit area is under airline custody.
Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would go with the round trip ticket choice 700$ is a nice price~! plus its direct to the US. Just cancel the return ticket after your SO arrives to the USA.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks!

The round trip ticket way does seem easier, and he doesn't have to worry about ANY layovers, let alone lay overs in another country. We'll be sure to cancel the return trip ticket as soon as he gets here if he do end up going that way.

Of course, I'm not buying any tickets until we at least have an interview date, and only then buy tickets that we can change the date for if *god forbid* something goes wrong!

9/24- I-129F received by CSC

9/27 NOA1 received in mail

9/28- Check Cashed

10/1- touched

2/23- RFE email

2/28- RFE hardcopy

3/7- NOA2!!!!!

3/28- Interview! APPROVED!

4/7 - Jimmy arrives in the USA!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.