FormerlyKnownAs

How did you learn Arabic?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

So I've been with my fiancee for 2 years and I don't *have* to know Arabic because he speaks perfect English. However... I would *like* to learn Arabic. I have several books, CDs, etc. I have Rosetta Stone as well. I was considering contacting the local Islamic center to see if they offer a class on Arabic there, but I also wanted to ask here to find out how you all learned Arabic, if you have.

I was looking at some jobs in Cairo, found a job for an English speaking American to teach preschoolers English... Which would be fantastic as I have some background in preschool teaching here in the states. I just would feel a lot better about working in Cairo if I knew more of the language. Any tips would be most appreciated.

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I dont know alot, but what I do know I learned from Adam going over it with me a word at a time and with the spelling of it, as well as when we lived in Georgia and went to our arabic bapt church the Pastors wife spent alot of time with me during the singing and taught me.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've purchased a couple of books on the Moroccan dialect of Arabic (called Darija). I truly think, though, that hearing it, say - from instructional CD's/DVD's - and even better taking classes in person would be better - the interaction and questions/answers getting addressed right away. I was an exchange student years ago in Brazil, and learned most of my Portuguese by living with a family who knew almost no English, and only watching Brazilian soap operas and t.v. shows lol. Total immersion! I too have a burning desire to learn my fiance's language, to be able to communicate with his family. It's so frustrating to only be able to smile and nod and say the same 3 phrases over and over lol

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey there!!!

I actually met my fiance by studying (classical) Arabic in Morocco!!

I agree about the ArabicPod podcast--it really is a helpful podcast!! Just beware that some podcasts are in dialect!!

There are also some cool iPhone/iPad/iPod apps that help with vocabulary and are fun too!

Outside of these ideas, you could pick up a book or two off amazon (used is always best!) and learn things by the book, but I think the best idea is to immerse yourself in the language, like someone else stated above. It really is the fastest way to learn a language!

Good luck and enjoy it! :)

August 23, 2010- K1 papers sent to CSC

August 30, 2010-NOA1

January 26, 2011-NOA2

March 7, 2011-Interview--Approved!!

March 11, 2011-Visa in hand

March 22, 2011-Arrived in the US!!!!!

August 22, 2011-Filed for AOS

November 25, 2011-EAD in hand

December 02, 2011-Green Card in hand

Filed: Timeline

Wow that is great you found a poistion like that. My husband friend keeps trying to talk me into running a day care there too. I told him but i do not know Arabic, he said that is ok that is why you have helpers. lol. But most times it is easier to teach others english if you do not know there launage well. Becasue you will find yourself speaking more arabic to help them understand. When there pre-schoolers there little brains are sponges and just focusing on english is the best way to teach it. Now if it is to live in Cario you want the Arabic, knowing a few important phrases is important. But I found most ppl to know english or enough words they could help you. If the embasssy was not closed, there is a specific part that helps americans get jobs in Egypt and they could tell you how important knowing arabic is. But there closed except for emergenices.

So I've been with my fiancee for 2 years and I don't *have* to know Arabic because he speaks perfect English. However... I would *like* to learn Arabic. I have several books, CDs, etc. I have Rosetta Stone as well. I was considering contacting the local Islamic center to see if they offer a class on Arabic there, but I also wanted to ask here to find out how you all learned Arabic, if you have.

I was looking at some jobs in Cairo, found a job for an English speaking American to teach preschoolers English... Which would be fantastic as I have some background in preschool teaching here in the states. I just would feel a lot better about working in Cairo if I knew more of the language. Any tips would be most appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I took a college course. Unfortunately, it mostly covered modern standard Arabic with little focus on Egyptian colloquial, Levantine and Iraqi dialect.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's really my issue. I guess there isn't a great way to learn Egyptian Arabic unless I just really immerse myself and that'll take some more trips! I do have an Egyptian Arabic dictionary. I think I have every travel book on Egypt and every Arabic book they sell at the local book store.

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

I used livemocha and connected with people from egypt to go over some lessons/tutoring. I also had my husband provide words in arabic, transliteration and pronunciation for words I commonly use. Anytime I know a word in arabic - I use it vs. using the english word, so we use an arabish language at home. The usage has become very natural to me, although writing I am way behind.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

One way to "Egyptize" Arabic words is to switch out the jeem and use geem, lol. Such as - higab instead of hijab. Egyptians are pretty much the only Arabs that use "geem". Some parts of Yemen also use it. Practicing with your husband and any Egyptian friends or family is probably your best bet. I've used livemocha in the past but found there are too many creeps on that site.

That's really my issue. I guess there isn't a great way to learn Egyptian Arabic unless I just really immerse myself and that'll take some more trips! I do have an Egyptian Arabic dictionary. I think I have every travel book on Egypt and every Arabic book they sell at the local book store.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

lol habibi....i know yella, but my husband says yalla-means go, right now. I know more but yella is my favorite,

hahahaha....I remember springing that phrase "yalla, habibi!" on my husband one evening as we were getting ready to go out...I thought he would die laughing as it was completely unexpected...although have learned a lot of my Arabic from him, most of it I learned on my own or from his family or my coworkers over there...he just can't keep from cracking up on my pronunciations when he tries to teach me...of course it doesn't help when my occasional southern accent pops out :blush:

I bought one of those CD-ROM sets a couple years ago but it was classical Arabic so not much use in Egypt...the best way I found was through total immersion..i learned a lot during my time living there, I would say still only a small fraction of the language but I can successfully get around on my own and do things for myself there as well as carry a short light conversation :star:

If you are serious about looking for a job there, here are some suggestions:

I worked one semester as an Adult Continuing Education teacher- teaching English Conversation- no degree or Arabic required just native English speaker.

Last year I worked in an American school there as a teaching assistant and I was offered several other teaching and teaching assistant positions just on the basis of being a native English speaker.

These are also great ways to learn Arabic because your students will be more than happy to teach you as much as they can, same with their families. Actually I have found pretty much anyone I met in Egypt would try to teach me something in exchange for learning the English equivalent.

One last funny story about this.....I learned much more than either of us realized just by being there and paying attention to what people were saying, case in point-

my husband is a bit of a goofball and we have things as most couples do that we tease each other about, one of the things for him is my extreme clumsiness-literally I am an accident looking for a place to happen...anyway, we were out with a friend of his one night walking along the corniche and I NEARLY tripped over a uneven spot in the sidewalk..i forget now exactly what he said, but he said basically in Arabic " my graceful wife" with a smile...I knew exactly what he said and looked at him like :o...he was like :wow: u understood me?? he was like a lil kid getting in trouble...it was quite funny, we all had a good laugh about it...now I get to tease him that he should be careful bc he doesn't know exactly how much I know :P

One way to "Egyptize" Arabic words is to switch out the jeem and use geem, lol. Such as - higab instead of hijab. Egyptians are pretty much the only Arabs that use "geem". Some parts of Yemen also use it. Practicing with your husband and any Egyptian friends or family is probably your best bet. I've used livemocha in the past but found there are too many creeps on that site.

agree with the family and friends part definitely. my kids know more arabic than i do, from my husband's teaching. unfortunately, when they're having their little lessons, that's when i'm having to make dinner, clean up, etc. it's nice having the kids occupied so they're not getting in my way, but i miss out on learning :( i've never tried livemocha, but i've definitely heard about the creep factor. no thank you.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.