Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

question on OPT status

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Romania


I am a senior in college about to graduate in August 1st 2011. I have two questions?

When should I apply for OPT? Is 90 days from the time I apply with the DSO?

Also, I would like to get a CA license in my field. To do that, I need to take 3 more classes which are not offered at my college I am now. I want to graduate, so in other words i do not want to transfer f1 status to another college. Can I take those 3 classes online if I am on OPT? Can students enrolled in OPT take classes if I need that for a licensure? I do not want to take it towards another major or go back to school for another degree- i just want to be able to get my license- and for that i still need 3 more classes to take which are only offered online to weber state university in utah. Is it illegal to enroll in classes online while on OPT?

If i were to go to h1b status, than would i be able to take those 3 classes? are people on h1b eligible for taking classes?

Thanks a million!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India

OK seems you have couple of question.

1 –when to file for OPT – 90 days from the graduation or 80 from graduation or 1 day from graduation?

That is your choice, based on when you file you will get your OPT back.

Yes you will have to file via your DSO. You would get another i-20 with OPT status.

If the other college is offering those classes – you can take those classes.

2- are you sure just 3 classes is what is required for license? This info just seems out of place to me and only one university offering that classes.

I am not why your current school is not offering that 3 classes – I am assuming like you are interested most ppl who graduate in same degree as you would be interested in those 3 classes anyways.

3- Yes you can take classes while you are on H1, you just cannot go on H1 as choice – you will need some employer to hire you and file H1 for you. While you on H1 you will have to maintain full-time employment.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...