FL-Brit

Driving License Limbo

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Our family has lived in Florida for a few years now on an E2 status, succesfully renewing it every two years.

Last year our son got married to a US Citizen. Since then our E2 status has been renewed, but we did not include our son as he had embarked on the I-130 process. Our status was approved within 6 days (yes, read it again - SIX DAYS), but our son's process is still in the works.

His driving license expired at the end of last year. He is now in limbo as he cannot apply for his driving license as he does not have a valid status - all he has is a receipt from USCIS that his application is in progress. It is causing him a lot of grief as he has to be chauffered everywhere either by his new wife or by ourselves.

Can anyone please advise how my son can get a driving license.

Thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so - adjusting status from E-2 derivative to GreenCard Holder - LPR - via I-130 with I-485, right?

He can't do anything until he has 'card status' again - unfortunately he's in limbo for the nonce - also suggest he not leave the USA until he has greencard in hand.

Suggest you post some timeline of HIS process, perhaps others here can suss it out , give you some idea of WHEN he'll be up for the interview?

Alternatively, was the EAD application filed concurrently? Sometimes those are approved way earlier, and with EAD in hand, usually can get some driver's license...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

Yes - he is going from E2 dependant to LRP via I-130, I-485 and I-765 together with all the other forms needed.

He has no intentions of leaving the US for any reason until all the paperwork is sorted.

Why is the system so difficult? Surley because his application is being processed he should have the ability to legally drive in this country. Maybe we should have included him in our E2 application just so he could have renewed his license. (can he still be added to our application even though it has already been approved?)

I will create a timeline in a bit, but here are the basics: Married in Nov 2010, I-130 and others sent to USCIS mid Dec 2010, E2 status expired end of Dec 2010, currentley just sat waiting for things to happen.

so - adjusting status from E-2 derivative to GreenCard Holder - LPR - via I-130 with I-485, right?

He can't do anything until he has 'card status' again - unfortunately he's in limbo for the nonce - also suggest he not leave the USA until he has greencard in hand.

Suggest you post some timeline of HIS process, perhaps others here can suss it out , give you some idea of WHEN he'll be up for the interview?

Alternatively, was the EAD application filed concurrently? Sometimes those are approved way earlier, and with EAD in hand, usually can get some driver's license...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.