scotchland5206

Packet3/Employment query

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, getting together all the documents needed by the embassy (packet 3 fiancee visa), and I'm a bit unsure what to put down regarding the employment history questions.

DS-230 Part 1, DS-156 and DS-157 all have a question about employment, but they are all worded slightly differently.

To avoid any confusion I want to make sure there is continuity with all the forms.

So basically, in my primary work I'm self-employed (classical musician) but like a lot of people in UK and worldwide I guess, the recession has hit hard and I've also been working part-time in a supermarket... :bonk:

should I put the supermarket down as my most recent employer? Or leave it out and just stick with musician in all the forms..?

Specifically DS-230 Part 1 No32. "List all employment for the last ten years"

Whereas DS-156 No21 & 22. " Name and address of present employer" and "present occupation"

And DS-157 No.12 "Not including current employer, list your last two employers"

Any help is greatly appreciated, as always :)

Hi everyone, getting together all the documents needed by the embassy (packet 3 fiancee visa), and I'm a bit unsure what to put down regarding the employment history questions.

DS-230 Part 1, DS-156 and DS-157 all have a question about employment, but they are all worded slightly differently.

To avoid any confusion I want to make sure there is continuity with all the forms.

So basically, in my primary work I'm self-employed (classical musician) but like a lot of people in UK and worldwide I guess, the recession has hit hard and I've also been working part-time in a supermarket... :bonk:

should I put the supermarket down as my most recent employer? Or leave it out and just stick with musician in all the forms..?

Specifically DS-230 Part 1 No32. "List all employment for the last ten years"

Whereas DS-156 No21 & 22. " Name and address of present employer" and "present occupation"

And DS-157 No.12 "Not including current employer, list your last two employers"

Any help is greatly appreciated, as always :)

I see you don't quite fit the mold of those one-size-fits-all visa forms. It's not really critical to getting the visa so just pick something and be consistent. If you consider your occupation to be a musician firstly, try to go with that and work the other source of income in as best you can. I don't think it's a pass/fail item that would ruin your interview. Besides which, at the interview you'll be face-to-face with a human and you can explain it just like you did here if he asks what kind of work you do. You did a G-325A biographic form for the petition so maybe just try to be consistent with how you did that form.

That's just my opinion of how I would handle it. I don't think there is a right or wrong way.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I see you don't quite fit the mold of those one-size-fits-all visa forms. It's not really critical to getting the visa so just pick something and be consistent. If you consider your occupation to be a musician firstly, try to go with that and work the other source of income in as best you can. I don't think it's a pass/fail item that would ruin your interview. Besides which, at the interview you'll be face-to-face with a human and you can explain it just like you did here if he asks what kind of work you do. You did a G-325A biographic form for the petition so maybe just try to be consistent with how you did that form.

That's just my opinion of how I would handle it. I don't think there is a right or wrong way.

Good point regarding the G-325a, thanks for reminding me about that :thumbs: I definitely only put musician on that as I didn't have this extra part-time job at the time. I think I'll stick with 'self-employed' first and occupation as musician, and like you said, add the other income to the forms where I can :-)

If it's brought up at the embassy it should hopefully be easy to explain. That is if I can string a sentence together, likely to be a tad nervous..!

That is if I can string a sentence together, likely to be a tad nervous..!

Don't be nervous. It's like chatting with somebody new you met in a pub. So, you're marrying an American. How did you meet her? Have you ever been there? Where will you be living? Oh my cousin is from Florida too. It's nice there. What does your fiance do for a living? Oh, nice job. I always wanted to be a pilot.

It's really very conversational and you will walk out and say "That's it???"

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Don't be nervous. It's like chatting with somebody new you met in a pub. So, you're marrying an American. How did you meet her? Have you ever been there? Where will you be living? Oh my cousin is from Florida too. It's nice there. What does your fiance do for a living? Oh, nice job. I always wanted to be a pilot.

It's really very conversational and you will walk out and say "That's it???"

Thanks for the reassurance :) I've been to the embassy a couple of times for work visas, and I just find the place really intimidating! I guess it's not the interview that I'm worried about, more the fact that I feel like my future happiness lies in the hands of whoever I get on the day...! Maybe that sounds a bit melodramatic :blush:

Really concerned with getting all the paperwork right.

Also looking for another bit of advice if that's ok...My fiance made seriously low earnings last year, and I know they nearly always ask for the most recent tax return as main evidence of financial support. His returns were good for 2009 and 2008, and he recently got a promotion, which will be shown in his employer letter and pay stubs...Last year was a bit of a blib...

Do you think this will pose a problem?

Also looking for another bit of advice if that's ok...My fiance made seriously low earnings last year, and I know they nearly always ask for the most recent tax return as main evidence of financial support. His returns were good for 2009 and 2008, and he recently got a promotion, which will be shown in his employer letter and pay stubs...Last year was a bit of a blib...

Do you think this will pose a problem?

If the I-134 is signed before April 18, 2011, the 2009 tax return is the latest one. The 2010 tax return does not become the most recent until after the filing deadline. That's per USCIS information and this is Dept of State, but they probably agree on that. I think 2008 and 2009 coupled with current income proof should get you through. Your problem will be with AOS because it will be after the filing deadline for 2010 taxes. They say only the most recent tax return is required for the I-864 (AOS affidavit) and the two previous are optional if they help your case. They will help, so definitely send three for that plus pay stubs and employer letter to prove current income is over the limit.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, this is exactly what I am trying to figure out. I am about to send in my I-129 and struggling to find a cosponsor. How soon after I mail in the I-129 will I need to have the I-134's? Also, my mom did not make enough to cosponsor in 2009 but she thinks she will in 2010. If she has already filed for 2010 by the time they ask, does that mean that I still have to use 2009? Man would that blow! Thanks in advance for your assistance..I sure need it!

Wow, this is exactly what I am trying to figure out. I am about to send in my I-129 and struggling to find a cosponsor. How soon after I mail in the I-129 will I need to have the I-134's? Also, my mom did not make enough to cosponsor in 2009 but she thinks she will in 2010. If she has already filed for 2010 by the time they ask, does that mean that I still have to use 2009? Man would that blow! Thanks in advance for your assistance..I sure need it!

You don't need the I-134 until the interview which could be 6-8 months down the road. I haven't been keeping up with approval times.

You send your most recent return. If somebody has already done their 2010 taxes, then of course they can send that. But they don't have to file 2010 taxes until April 18. Up until the filing deadline, 2010 isn't required. If 2010 is a better year, then of course get the taxes done as early as possible.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.