Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Engaged and looking for some advice....

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico

I’ve been looking at this site for quite some time and am very impressed how resourceful and educated a lot of these posts are so I am hoping I can get some feedback.

My fiancé is from Mexico and is currently here in US on a tourist visa and was granted 6 months until July. We just got engaged and are now wondering what would be the best route to take, in hopes that we can get married in Cancun at the end of this year and also avoid being apart for too long.

Is there some form that we can apply for if we get married here, let’s say by April and have some kind of change of status after we are married so that he can stay? I am really just not sure. The other option is to apply for k-1 and have him go back to Mexico in June and come back once its approved. I am just not sure with all the processing time if we would both be able to travel back to Cancun to have our dream wedding? :/

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

Third option is to marry now, file an I-130 for a CR1 spouse visa and don't overstay the visa, and simply return home then interview for the CR-1 when the time comes. In this economy it is the least expensive route, (~$900) vs (~$1800, $1900) To adjust status from current visa or from a K-1.

If dont overstay current visa and if the visa is a multi entry one, can always visit while the I-130 is processing.

Lastly The I-130 (CR-1) will get work authorization upon entry to the USA, K-1 and adjustment of status tends to wait MONTHS for either EAD or Green-card in order to take a job.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...